Minor concern about solo cruising

wildthing714

Hi everyone! My 2nd cruise, and 1st solo cruise, is coming up in about 60 days. While I am absolutely looking forward to the pleasures of cruising solo I do have a couple of concerns about some minor issues. Thanks to this wonderful forum I have found some advice regarding all of my concerns except for one and I would love to read any advice/stories about it.

How do you (especially the ladies) deal with the occasional need of an extra pair of hands to help zip your dress or handle the clasp on a piece of jewelry? I'm especially concerned with the formal night. I have some issues with my hands and sometimes it is really difficult to zip a zipper that is the entire length of my back. And can be especially difficult with certain clasps on certain bracelets.

I'm sure some of you will say not to worry about the jewelry; that it's not that important on a cruise. Or perhaps pick something else to wear. But it is just not "me" to go without my jewelry and I have worked very hard at altering my choices as to what I'm wearing on formal night (usually a friend has to do some of the sewing).

So, do any of you have any suggestions for me? The only idea I have is to possibly tip my room steward to give me a quick zip when I need it, but I don't know if this could be misconstrued as something inappropriate. That would certainly be embarrassing!

Wear something else! The only thing I asked for help with was opening champagne because I had a cut on my thumb. The room steward started to pop it while aimed in the face of his assistant. I had to stop him. He obviously hadn't opened champagne before.

Use spray sun lotion so you get your back.

I have this same concern as a solo. My last cruise was with my bff and at times we were at different activities. The time we got dressed separately I actually stuck my head outside the cabin and asked our room steward to help me. She was more then glad to help. Had it been a male I wouldnt ask though. I'm a few months away from my first solo cruise myself and wearing something else isnt an option as at least 2-3 formal dresses I bought specifically for this cruise zips up the back!

In the meantime have rigged up a safety pin to a piece of ribbon in a bind though just in case and it works pretty well! Affix the pin to the hole in the zipper pull and make the ribbon long enough to pull up over your head. Try it! Heres a photo in case that wasnt clear: http://www.bookshelfboyfriend.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/zipping-up-a-dress.jpg

Edited by Savlamara

The safety pin ribbon idea is wonderful. Thanks for sharing. :)

As to jewelry, if I cannot fasten a bracelet, I'd either ask my steward for help or carry it until I encounter a pleasant looking fellow pax and politely ask if they'd mind helping. I cannot imagine any adult, polite person would mind taking a mere minute to help another with a bracelet.

I have been sailing solo for years and always wear jewelry with my

evening attire. I always bring stuff I can do myself. I live on my own so

I have to do it myself here at home too.......being on a cruise is no

different (for me anyway).

As for a dress with a zipper in the back? To be honest, I cannot remember

the last time I wore one with a zipper.

• 4 weeks later...

Personally, I wouldn't take clothing or jewelry that I couldn't manage myself. I wouldn't ask my room steward, but that could be just me. It just feels awkward. I haven't worn a dress in years, but back in the day I've used the ribbon and safety pin trick. For bracelets, you could get a bracelet buddy. They're just a few dollars and can come in very handy.