Newby to Cunard Question

AZNative2000

Looking forward to our very first Cunard cruise, on board Queen Victoria this year.

As we are cruising the Mediterranean, would it be permissible to tip (additional tips not the service charge) with Euros? TIA.

Cheers!

Euros, Pounds, Dollars, Yen, Krone, Pesos or anything else you can find at the bottom of your wallet! :-)

Have fun!

Stewart

Another Newby Question

Am I correct the Queens Grill Dining Room and Queens Grill Lounge are exclusive to Queens Grill class of staterooms...

Same for Princess Grill?

So is the MDR on the ships the Britannia...and the Kings Court is the casual dining?

Special Dining is the Todd?

How is the food in the MDR/Britannia?

The grill rooms are exclusive to grill cabin passenger. The Britannia restaurant is not casual dining, and not the MDR, but Kings court is casual and open to all. The Britannia restaurant is for those in Britannia accommodations.

Todd English is gone, and has been replaced by " The Verandah", a hint at the Verandah Grills on the original Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth.

Edited by loubetti

Another Newby Question

Am I correct the Queens Grill Dining Room and Queens Grill Lounge are exclusive to Queens Grill class of staterooms...

Same for Princess Grill?

So is the MDR on the ships the Britannia...and the Kings Court is the casual dining?

Special Dining is the Todd?

How is the food in the MDR/Britannia?

Yes you are correct.

see

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/example_menu

Kings Court on QM2 is the Self Serve Buffet Area, In fact several areas, during lunch there are some different foods to be found on the different station serving areas. One serving station that does Stir fry (the one that opens later then the others) often has spicy food such as Curry or Asian .

At Night a section of Kings Court is sectioned off and the area is transformed to waiter service , Coriander (Indian) Lotus (Asian) and Italian Le Piazza for the different Themed Dining option. Each one will run for two or Three nights before changing. There is a surcharge of $15 for this.

Todd English will soon be replaced with The Verandah during refit and The Kings Court Area will be gutted and revamped in May and June 2016

see http://www.cunard.co.uk/cruise-ships/queen-mary-2/remastered/

Britannia is the Main Dining Room for Britannia Guests with a section for Britannia Club (Any time dining) Guests ,

The Golden Lion serves Pub Lunches for all,Curry, Steak Pie Fish and Chips and Ploughmans.

Edited by Pennbank

I'm another newbie and will probably have a few questions in the next year. Cannot wait to try Cunard.

What's the Verandah?

What will they serve?

Thanks.

The Verandah is an Alternative Restaurant on board the ship which when booked has a surcharge applied to your on board account when you dine there.

see

and

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/az_rest

Edited by Pennbank

The Verandah is an Alternative Restaurant on board the ship which when booked has a surcharge applied to your on board account when you dine there.

see

and

https://ask.cunard.com/help/cunard/life-on-board/az_rest

Thank you, found it just after I'd posted, had looked at Todd English didn't realise it'd be gone before we board.

Unsurprisingly no one has answered Fogfog's question "how is the food in Britannia". Food is always a very personal thing, some folk will declare all the food served aboard Cunard ships as excellent while others will say, like the curates egg "it is good in parts".

David.

Unsurprisingly no one has answered Fogfog's question "how is the food in Britannia". Food is always a very personal thing, some folk will declare all the food served aboard Cunard ships as excellent while others will say, like the curates egg "it is good in parts".

David.

Thanks

Is the menu in Britannia different from the Queens Grill etc

I noted the menu for Queen and Princess grills was identical in the links.

Do all of the (main not specialty) dining rooms serve the same menu each night and the rooms are divided by staterooms (Queens, Princess, Club, Britannia)?

Given the premium you pay it certainly should be.

David.

SO the Princess and Queens Grill dining is the same? :rolleyes:

Still no one has said anything about the menu and food in the Britannia. Can't imagine that CCers have "never" sailed in those staterooms and have no idea....;)

Still no one has said anything about the menu and food in the Britannia. Can't imagine that CCers have "never" sailed in those staterooms and have no idea....;)

There have been many threads here over the years and a big variety of opinions. I can only give you my views. On occasions I have sent meals back to the galley that others on the table have cheerfully eaten and declared excellent, so maybe mine is not the best to follow.

To be fair I have had some very good food food in the Britannia rester aunt along with some not so good and some very unpleasant but I look at what I have paid (difficult to isolate food costs from the overall price) and accept that I can't really expect to have fine dining in the Britannia class. Even where I live, where we don't pay London prices we can easily pay well north of £100 for a three course meal for two.

Probably doesn't help much but there you go.

David

SO the Princess and Queens Grill dining is the same? :rolleyes:

No, Queens and Princess are not the same. More choice in Queens, more 'off menu' possibilities, more flexibility. You pay more, you get more.

The only occasion in which I ate in Brittania, the food was superb and the company amazing. However, it was New Years Eve and drink may have been taken!

Generally I would say tge meals in the Britannia are good - very good often, considering it's mass catering.

The Meals in the Grills are better, offer more choice, with the A la Carte menus, and allow off menu dining. Then, they are excellent.

Here's a little more information: At dinner time, Britannia is pretty much restricted to Britannia class passengers. Not so at breakfast and lunch when Princess Class and Queens Class passengers can try it out by just walking in. If you book Princess or Queens, you could probably be accommodated by the Britannia maitre'd if you want to have dinner there, especially at the late seating when there is lesser demand.

Having traveled Britannia quite a few times, I can tell you that I am generally pleased with the food quality and variety. Not perfect or 5-star restaurant quality, but quite good, certainly on par with other mass-market cruise lines. The big plus in Britannia is the stunning design.

Happy travels and bon appetit!

It is a little while since i have travelled on Cunard ( not out of choice....itineraries and dates just havent worked) and I have travelled in both PG and Britannia class ( cant run to QG....:D) The food in the Britannia MDR was , in my opinion, very good. Not excellent, but very good. Occasionally a dish did not inspire me , but it is , at the end of the day mass catering and I am a slightly fussy eater! The food in PG was however, excellent!

Whether standards have slipped in the last 3 years.....i have no idea! I doubt it by much.