Too windy for Dream at Mahogany Bay?

flagmom

Will be on the Dream next week and the weather forecast for Roatan is "windy with a few clouds", specifically winds of 21 mph. I've read that this port is often missed by the Dream due to windy conditions....just how much wind is "too much?"

When you get there if it is too windy in the captain's judgement you may get a sea day. If it is not too windy in the captain's opinion, you will dock.

Beyond that nobody knows until that day and time.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Will be on the Dream next week and the weather forecast for Roatan is "windy with a few clouds", specifically winds of 21 mph. I've read that this port is often missed by the Dream due to windy conditions....just how much wind is "too much?"

Me too! I pray it won't be too windy as Mahogany Bay was beautiful last year on our cruise. My brother is coming this time for his 1st cruise with us. I sure hope he gets a chance to see it!

We have missed port several times and had a sea day. Wish they had a backup plan for the other side of the island as this happens pretty regularly.

They do have a back up plan, it's called a day at sea. There is no "other side of the island" Docking can only be done at the dock. If anchoring, you must have a viable place to land tenders, set up security and such. Most anchorages are on the lee side of the island. Windward side would be untenable.

They do have a back up plan, it's called a day at sea. There is no "other side of the island" Docking can only be done at the dock. If anchoring, you must have a viable place to land tenders, set up security and such. Most anchorages are on the lee side of the island. Windward side would be untenable.

There is a dock on the other side. It is where you used to dock before carnival built what they have now, but they can't just decide to dock there because other ship dock there now.

WE missed it on the Magic and it didn't seem windy at all to me.

I don't seem to remember that Roatan was a tender port. I think the other ships dock at Coxen Hole.

Edited by dave_k58

There is a dock on the other side. It is where you used to dock before carnival built what they have now, but they can't just decide to dock there because other ship dock there now.

Coxen Hole, the other dock, is on the same side of the island as MB.

The entrance to Mahogany Bay, Isla Roatan is very narrow and the ships usually back in if the wind is acceptable so that they can go out in the forward position if there is a change in the wind during the day. With Dream class ships, it is like putting a 1000 foot long, 120 foot wide, 15 story building into a 320 foot wide driveway. Cross winds are dangerous. And the Conquest class ships are just a little smaller (by ship standards). No Captain worth his salt is going to risk a 740 million dollar ship in less that good conditions.

We were on the Dream last week it was windy and moderately rough all the way there and back but we were able to port and spend the day there. Snorkeling wasn't the best at the beach by the port, rough and murky water, but we still had a great day.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere on CC that if the wind turbines on the hills of the island are spinning vigorously, there is less chance of making port. However, I can't find that particular thread now to read if a particular wind speed limit, or direction, had been mentioned. Thought maybe someone might have more detailed info. Thanks.

Right, it's called Coxen Hole. They only dock if no one has taken the place.

We docked there once ( the year Mahogany opened) because of the wind. We had nothing planned as we were hoping for beach day at Mahogoney, so we had to shop (lol!, I still have the leather purse I purchased there).

• 2 weeks later...

We sailed on the Dream March 6-13, and we were able to successfully dock at Mahoghany Bay. The winds were listed at 20-30 mph, and the wind turbines on the hills were spinning, but the captain gave it a go and we made port. The Dream was the first of the two Carnival ships to arrive, and that may have made a difference. At any rate, I'm so glad that it worked out because the island was lovely. The snorkeling at West Bay beach was fantastic, and we also enjoyed our tour with Victor Bodden's company. A great day was had by all!