Current Dress Trends Onboard P&O

Eglesbrech

I am looking for advice please re the dress code onboard. It's been a few years since we have travelled with P&O, more recently booking with Celebrity and RCI. On formal nights there has been a mix - everything from long dresses to sparklie jeans and moon boots!

I have read the guidance but wanted some information about what actually fits in while on board. We will be on Ventura which has formal and smart casual.

For formal my husband has is easy, he just needs to pack a tux. Is ladies wear onboard for formal nights long dresses or more cocktail. I have both and actually enjoy the chance to wear long but don't want to feel out of kilter.

What about the smart casual, what are the current onboard trends for that. Do men tend to wear a jacket or just a smart shirt. Are ladies summer dreses and smart trousers and tops?

We are flying so baggage weight is more limited, hence the need to get it right with the mix of clothes we take. Any advice appreciated.

We too have been on Ventura and you are quite right apart from smart casual for men is that they don't have to wear a jacket (or tie) just a shirt and I think even a smart polo shirt is acceptable. On the whole ladies seem to dress up more on the formal evenings, but you can get ladies wearing anything from skirts, trousers with blouses to full long evening dresses.

Have a great time.

My wife and myself were aboard Ventura in November, and the four formal nights were generally very well observed

As has been said,the ladies had a wide variety of styles (all fine in our humble opinion) and the men, dinner jackets mainly, and a variety of different colours in bow ties!!

Enjoy your cruise!! x

I tend to wear cocktail style dresses as I'm short! But many ladies wear long dresses. In either you won't feel out of place.

The Formal dress code is generally adhered to by the majority, and I have been on Ventura. It does look lovely with the whole ship dressed up [emoji4]

For smart casual my OH tends to wear a shirt & chino style trousers or just a black pair. I tend to wear trousers & a pretty top. If hot white linen trousers is a popular choice!

Have a great time [emoji4]

I am really hoping P & O don't go the way of some lines and stop the formal nights or dumb them down. The dressing up is part of the cruise enjoyment for me , besides that haha I want to wear my new dresses I have brought recently. Most on P & O seem to dress up on formal nights with long or cocktail dresses or nice trousers and tops. With the men in dinner jackets (sorry tux is too American a word for me, so I refuse to use it unless in The States) or dark suits. Some wear kilts with jacket etc.

I also find on other night the ladies in particular always look smart.

Edited by amajaa

We are going on first Ventura cruise in May having been on the Britannia twice last year. We found that the dress code varied depending on the type of cruise. In April we went around the med to Italy,Valencia, Barcelona etc... and found the dress code a lot posher than the September Canaries cruise. My other half wore his tux on formal nights and a pair of dark navy expensive jeans plus a decent shirt on non formal nights. I wore a long frock or a silk tea type dress with a three quarter length matching cardi or white pants at night and silk top. I would say that I wore more dresses in the med than the Canaries and wish I had taken more casual silk tops for the Canaries. Hope that helps but it is difficult and I would take a few more things next time just in case. You can always wear the same thing two or three times during a cruise perhaps with a different necklace, bag etc...

I am really hoping P & O don't go the way of some lines and stop the formal nights or dumb them down. The dressing up is part of the cruise enjoyment for me , besides that haha I want to wear my new dresses I have brought recently. Most on P & O seem to dress up on formal nights with long or cocktail dresses or nice trousers and tops. With the men in dinner jackets (sorry tux is too American a word for me, so I refuse to use it unless in The States) or dark suits. Some wear kilts with jacket etc.

Well I for one hope they do relax the dress code like on RCI and Celebrity. IMHO it is ridiculous in this day and age to prevent entry to various venues after 6pm unless you are dressed in black tie. I don't normally go for a pre dinner cocktail before 7pm so I'm snookered before I start!

Just because other lines have relaxed the suggested dress codes doesn't mean you can't wear formal attire. I wore my tux (see I said it :D and I'm not in the US, it's less to write than dinner jacket :D) on both formal occasions last week on RCI (but it wasn't mandatory) and I'll do it again on my upcoming Celebrity sailing on their 'Evening Chic' evenings as they are now called, and again on RCI, even in the Caribbean.

I'm sorry, but P&O isn't Cunard and unless they relax the dress codes or at least the access restrictions to venues after 6pm, I doubt I'll be sailing with them after this upcoming 2 night sailing for which I have to cart my tux to Southampton. Bang goes the hand baggage only fare on Flybe!

I know I'll get lambasted for this as I did on P&O pages on social media and on a thread here on CC, but before anyone says anything I do not wear jeans on any evening for dinner, always at least black trousers, black shoes and smart shirt, never a polo shirt or t shirt. I just don't see the need for a tux or suit (of course that has to be dark coloured too) if you want to drink or eat in a specific bar or dining room. To be restricted to 1 bar (the pub) or the buffet on Azura after 6pm on half of your cruise is unfair if you have paid full fare to use all the facilities and venues.

Edited by peteukmcr

Well I just got off of the Arcadia in Sydney, I wore my TUX............ on the cruise, sorry but we call them TUXEDOS in Canada too...............get over it!!!

I'm sorry, but P&O isn't Cunard and unless they relax the dress codes or at least the access restrictions to venues after 6pm, I doubt I'll be sailing with them after this upcoming 2 night sailing for which I have to cart my tux to Southampton. Bang goes the hand baggage only fare on Flybe!

P&O has a loyal following of regular cruisers who like the idea of Black Tie Evenings. The cruise line knows that they are not Cunard and Flybe knows that they are not British Airways and offers a hand baggage only fare. Unfortunately these hand baggage only fare deals have led to abuse by passengers in boarding with excessively large cases and making the flight intolerable for may others by taking up all the space in the overhead storage.

If a company wants to provide a service of facility; it should be done properly. This is what P&O are doing and as an attest you have stated that you only doubt that you will sail with them again if they do not relax the policy. I look forward to seeing you on board in the future on the Captain's Gala Dinner, I will be in the MDR.

Regards John

Edited by john watson

For years I wouldn't go on a cruise because I didn't like the idea of dressing up in a dinner jacket etc.

Nowadays I actually look forward to it and love to dress up.

I really do hope that P&O don't relax the formal nights. It is after all an option, not a rule. There are other areas you can dine and drink in if you don't want to show off.

Edited by shallwe

Started my cruising with Ocean Village because I did not like the idea of dressing up.

We liked cruising so much that when Carnival decided to end the Ocean Village brand we were forced to try P&O to continue cruising, now several years later I am the proud owner of three dinner jackets and enjoy dressing up with the best of them.

P&O has a loyal following of regular cruisers who like the idea of Black Tie Evenings. The cruise line knows that they are not Cunard and Flybe knows that they are not British Airways and offers a hand baggage only fare. Unfortunately these hand baggage only fare deals have led to abuse by passengers in boarding with excessively large cases and making the flight intolerable for may others by taking up all the space in the overhead storage.

If a company wants to provide a service of facility; it should be done properly. This is what P&O are doing and as an attest you have stated that you only doubt that you will sail with them again if they do not relax the policy. I look forward to seeing you on board in the future on the Captain's Gala Dinner, I will be in the MDR.

Regards John

For your information British Airways offer hand baggage fares too, I should know I often book them for my clients. Oh and BTW the hand baggage weight allowance for British Airways is far more generous than many other airlines at 23kgs, so there are just as likely to be many people taking large cases on board (up to the permitted size limits) as on other airlines.

With respect I don't really understand your feedback. No airline passenger can board an aircraft with excessively large bags as all airlines have size limitations and enforce them. As for making the flight intolerable for others, why? We don't sit in the overhead bins :D

If you re read my post, my concern is not the wearing of a Tux (I do this as I have stated) it is the fact that P&O deem it acceptable to prevent me from visiting many of the venues after 6pm if I am not attired correctly.

I can only assume you're final comment about seeing me on board is sarcasm? Again, as I mentioned I will be in the MDR in the correct attire, but maybe not in the future. How can I confirm that? This is my first P&O cruise.

Edited by peteukmcr

For your information British Airways offer hand baggage fares too, I should know I often book them for my clients. Oh and BTW the hand baggage weight allowance for British Airways is far more generous than many other airlines at 23kgs, so there are just as likely to be many people taking large cases on board (up to the permitted size limits) as on other airlines.

With respect I don't really understand your feedback. No airline passenger can board an aircraft with excessively large bags as all airlines have size limitations and enforce them. As for making the flight intolerable for others, why? We don't sit in the overhead bins :D

If you re read my post, my concern is not the wearing of a Tux (I do this as I have stated) it is the fact that P&O deem it acceptable to prevent me from visiting many of the venues after 6pm if I am not attired correctly.

I can only assume you're final comment about seeing me on board is sarcasm? Again, as I mentioned I will be in the MDR in the correct attire, but maybe not in the future. How can I confirm that? This is my first P&O cruise.

Pete, only 10 years ago you could not go in any bars on a formal night dressed casually. The instruction was please note that formal wear should be worn ship wide.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Pete, only 10 years ago you could not go in any bars on a formal night dressed casually. The instruction was please note that formal wear should be worn ship wide.

Well there's been progress in that you are now allowed entry to 1 bar at least :D. Slowly, slowly catchy monkey. Things are changing for the better. :) Immaterial to me, I will be correctly attired as I keep saying. Thanks for the info, but I'm not really interested in P&O 10 years ago, because 12 years ago RCI allowed you to go into any bar as long as you were not wearing shorts after 6pm. It's now 2016, not 2006, the world's changed, as has cruising. There is a different market out there that the successful cruise lines are out to attract.

10 years ago the food was better, there were still midnight buffets, chocolates on the pillow at turn down etc. Now there are ships with more balcony cabins, single cabins, family staterooms, waterslides, west end shows, more dining choices with more speciality restaurants etc. Overall more choice. So stuffy rules of where you can go after 6pm depending on what you wear are a changing. The cruise lines will have to adapt or die IMHO.

Edited by peteukmcr

People have been pushing the boundaries on airline hand luggage for a long time. It is very difficult to enforce exact dimensions accurately and fairly, once passengers are past the gate it is a major problem if the flight attendant rejects a hand luggage item at the aircraft door. In order to compete after deregulating the system British Airways has been forced to do some concessions in short haul.

The reason P&O request everyone is suitably dressed for formal evenings is to try and achieve a certain type of atmosphere on board. This is easily ruined with people wandering about in grunge wear. The problem is where do you draw the line and realistically they publish the answer for all to see, together with a complete website and customer services back up for any possible query anyone may have.

Regards John

"So stuffy rules of where you can go after 6pm depending on what you wear are a changing. The cruise lines will have to adapt or die IMHO"

Indeed. This is however, a very emotive subject amongst P&O regulars.

Without expressing an opinion one way or the other, it is undeniably true that the trend in all sectors of the cruise industry is towards less formality. Three dress codes are now largely a thing of the past, and many up market lines like Regent Seven Seas, Azamara, and Oceania, and mainstream ones like NCL and Celebrity, no longer have formal nights. P&O usually follows at a safe distance. It is interesting to note however, that P&O could have been in the vanguard had its nerve held. Those who were sailing with them when the "white sisters", Oceana and Adonia, were announced will recall that Adonia was to have only two dress codes, smart casual and "dress to impress". There were to be no formal or jacket required nights. By the time the ships were actually introduced however, P&O had apparently lost their nerve and the normal three code system applied to both ships.

Edited by Denarius

From now on (or very soon) there will just be the two dress codes : Black Tie aka Formal and Evening Casual. The Smart code where men had to wear jackets has now disappeared.

I think that this will help people who will be flying to their cruise as they will not need to take that extra jacket and will also help in the warm climates for men's comfort, going by what my OH tells me.

Keeping two nights Formal and 5 Evening Casual in a week suits us fine and it is good that people then have the choice to dress up if they wish on Evening Casual Nights without being obliged to.

But I would fight tooth and nail to save Formal Nights - and if they went, then so would we, as it such an important part of the enjoyment of our cruise holidays.

Edited by Scriv

"So stuffy rules of where you can go after 6pm depending on what you wear are a changing. The cruise lines will have to adapt or die IMHO"

Indeed. This is however, a very emotive subject amongst P&O regulars.

Without expressing an opinion one way or the other, it is undeniably true that the trend in all sectors of the cruise industry is towards less formality. Three dress codes are now largely a thing of the past, and many up market lines like Regent Seven Seas, Azamara, and Oceania, and mainstream ones like NCL and Celebrity, no longer have formal nights. P&O usually follows at a safe distance. It is interesting to note however, that P&O could have been in the vanguard had its nerve held. Those who were sailing with them when the "white sisters", Oceana and Adonia, were announced will recall that Adonia was to have only two dress codes, smart casual and "dress to impress". There were to be no formal or jacket required nights. By the time the ships were actually introduced however, P&O had apparently lost their nerve and the normal three code system applied to both ships.

You have been saying this for some time now.

I enjoy the dressing up, it's lovely to see the ship all dressed up. As others keep saying the dress codes are more relaxed on other lines so I would respectfully suggest people who don't like dressing up stay with those other lines!

Well on the basis of the advice provided here and the general rule of a female wardrobes that any excuse is a good one to add something to it (and of course the shoes to go with it) I have been shopping.

Like others I like the chance to dress up and P&O appears to still provide that which is good in my opinion. New dresses now ready for packing!

I enjoy the dressing up, it's lovely to see the ship all dressed up. As others keep saying the dress codes are more relaxed on other lines so I would respectfully suggest people who don't like dressing up stay with those other lines!

I take it you've tried being dressed up in a Tux, dress shirt and black tie whilst in the height of summer, in the Caribbean :D - Just a point!!

I take it you've tried being dressed up in a Tux, dress shirt and black tie whilst in the height of summer, in the Caribbean :D - Just a point!!
Yes, every time I sail on a Caribbean sailing of 7 nights or more I still dress in a tux. The indoor venues are air conditioned and so I don't experience a problem with the heat outdoors.

Maybe I'm lucky, because it's a common explanation from many of my fellow sailors as to why they don't dress in a Tux. It can be exactly the same in the height of summer in the Mediterranean, but again the indoor venues are air-conditioned.