Photo Review- 1st Timer on Journey: Questions Were Asked, Answers Were Learned!

Familygoboston

Thanks so much for your great review. We have traveled Azamara once previously and I am looking again. Im wording this carefully bc I do not wish to offend anyone. We enjoyed the food , service and decor but were bored. We are the people who are riding the flowerier, or skating or rock wall climbing on RCCL. I am looking again bc Azamara has nice Cuba itinerary and I'd like to go in March. It sounds preferable to the oldest NCL and RCCL ships. We went on one of the inaugural cruises to Bermuda and that precedes all this amazing nights and things. ( They were still playing that darn harp then...not for me). It seems like you had a great time. Hubby is not a sea day trivia guy...Im fine, Ill drink and sun. Would you do a Cuba trip on Azamara or just fly there? (I will read your blog). I am also terrified that Trump will mess up my cruise

I can see that if you like all the activities on RCCL, you may find sea days on Azamara boring, unless you are into trivia quizzes etc. However, one of the advantages of Azamara is that their ship's tend to stay longer in port than other ships.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Each to their own, horses for courses.

Many of us still miss the Harp.

Of course , but your slightly offended answer is what I was trying to avoid. I asked the original poster bc of her unique perspective, new to Azamara, described as a biking kayak activist( same as hubby) who has been to Cuba.

Of course , but your slightly offended answer is what I was trying to avoid. I asked the original poster bc of her unique perspective, new to Azamara, described as a biking kayak activist( same as hubby) who has been to Cuba.

Not offended at all, just making the point that many people enjoyed the Harpist.

Thanks so much for your great review. We have traveled Azamara once previously and I am looking again. Im wording this carefully bc I do not wish to offend anyone. We enjoyed the food , service and decor but were bored. We are the people who are riding the flowerier, or skating or rock wall climbing on RCCL. I am looking again bc Azamara has nice Cuba itinerary and I'd like to go in March. It sounds preferable to the oldest NCL and RCCL ships. We went on one of the inaugural cruises to Bermuda and that precedes all this amazing nights and things. ( They were still playing that darn harp then...not for me). It seems like you had a great time. Hubby is not a sea day trivia guy...Im fine, Ill drink and sun. Would you do a Cuba trip on Azamara or just fly there? (I will read your blog). I am also terrified that Trump will mess up my cruise

Yes, we met quite a few folks who missed the harp! We never had a chance to hear it :( but it was still there!

I'm a very strong believer in different strokes for different folks! Heck, even different strokes for the same folks! For instance, I enjoyed the big RC ships immensely (see the pun there 😂) but that's not my choice for visiting ports I want to explore in depth beyond a quick beach day.

Here is why we chose Azamara over the larger mass market vessels-

1- Azamara was (IS!) wonderful because of the extended time in port, and how close to the "action" the ship is usually berthed.

2-the true "expert" port lecturers, AZ doesn't have port shopping salespeople like mass market ships. If you are sailing to St Thomas, maybe you go there to shop, but we went to Cuba to have unique insight into the people and culture. That will be far better aided by expert lecturers that you can engage in conversation with than someone pointing out the nearest Diamonds International.

3-We debated going on a mass market ship through the canal, and in the end decided that the combination of having fewer people on board and in port would be well worth it. I think the same would be true of Cuba. The excursions you will be able to take will be more enjoyable in smaller groups than with 2000 people! You will hopefully, have more opportunities to really meet the people. In Cuba ( it's a bit opposite of what you'd think, the older folks might speak a bit of English as holdovers from when things were open, the younger folks had no opportunity to learn English, so bone up on your Spanish!)

4-because Azamara is so destination focused, there generally aren't a lot of sea days unless you do a TA or in our case with the Panama Canal, where you have cruising /sight seeing days. My hubby did get a little itchy with 2 sea days in a row, and it was too cool to pool, but we managed to find things to do between the gym and the port lectures, and meeting up with new friends at lunch and dinner!

Now as to the question of land or sea...it appears after last Friday that fly down there on your own is about to become far more difficult to do, unless you go with an established outfit that organizes people to people trips. It seems from my reading, that the cruiselines have been spared any big changes, once they come. So if it were me, I'd be planning a cruise, not a land trip.

I say that with this caveat, a cruise will obviously have fewer days in Cuba, so if you are looking for an in depth visit to Cuba, I'd say go with one of those tour companies that was around BEFORE the opening up. I can't mention them here as some offer (sell) cruises too. Lots of new outfits (and even established travel companies) added Cuba and jumped in once things opened. I think those who had been going long before the opening will have the best resources and connections to make things work even in a more closed or changing environment, that's who I would trust with my dollars if I was planning a land based trip today.

Good luck with your Cuba trip...and if you are worried about the cruise being too sleepy, add a few days before or after, like we did, We enjoyed a relaxing cruise, resting up before 5 days on our own, hiking, snorkeling and kayaking in the Costa Rican rainforest!

Now, onto your trip to Cuba- I think you will not regret booking. I was very impressed with the lecturer on board, admittedly a sample of one, but I felt well prepared for the destination, and you need some prep for Cuba. We did a land trip (detailed in several posts in our blog under Cuba if you want to learn more about the destination.) While the land trip was excellent and we went just shortly after Obama opened things up and there were not the numbers going that there are today, if I were to return, would cruise. I've discovered that since Cuba has opened to tourism, that food supplies for ordinary people have become unavailable and or unaffordable :( I feel recommend a cruise as one of the more responsible ways to see the island country because your food travels with you, and you won't be taking as much food from the island.

Also, as you'll see in my reports, Cuba is not set up with tourist infra structure the way other Caribbean islands would be, so depending on how comfortable with "roughing it" you are, (we lost power in the "best" hotel frequently) by cruising, you are assured all the comforts of the ship and can experience the culture and scenery.

Also, bring cash for art work and music, both are AMAZING, (as are rum and cigars, tho I didn't try them) rarely marketed outside of Cuba, and there are very few places (none I saw) that can accept a credit card. I have a whole section on the money....it hasn't changed too much, but I'm sure your port lecturer will give you the most current info. Bring cash, exchange to Cuban Convertible Currency, (special tourist dollars tied to the US dolllar) only what you need, there's no changing it back!

I hope you do book...I think you will have an experience of a lifetime.

See you "onboard"our Oct review! Thanks!

Familygoboston, my 5 day hold was due to expire today and I am happy to say we are now booked in our cabin of choice 7116, Journey, 9 Nights Cuba January 15 2019.

We did have a Celebrity Equinox cruise booked at that time but that will now be canceled or rescheduled. Although I would love to be in Cuba next week rather than 500 plus days from now, due to the nature of the current US government, we have other fish to fry (grouper, sea bass etc) already planned and as some of them are cruises we can deal with the wait with stiff upper lips (I'm British).

Personally, I am excited to be adding a third cruise line to our resume and one I have admired for their "destination immersion" focus and we have already sailed on an R ship (Ocean Princess) and liked the change of pace and scale, even though we are happy enough sailing with 3,000 pax on a floating town.

Moreover I am looking forward to writing a photo/video review with a new line and a new destination and I'll have a new camera that isn't even on the market yet. So- much to discover in my future!

Cheers!

Norris

Familygoboston, my 5 day hold was due to expire today and I am happy to say we are now booked in our cabin of choice 7116, Journey, 9 Nights Cuba January 15 2019.

We did have a Celebrity Equinox cruise booked at that time but that will now be canceled or rescheduled. Although I would love to be in Cuba next week rather than 500 plus days from now, due to the nature of the current US government, we have other fish to fry (grouper, sea bass etc) already planned and as some of them are cruises we can deal with the wait with stiff upper lips (I'm British).

Personally, I am excited to be adding a third cruise line to our resume and one I have admired for their "destination immersion" focus and we have already sailed on an R ship (Ocean Princess) and liked the change of pace and scale, even though we are happy enough sailing with 3,000 pax on a floating town.

Moreover I am looking forward to writing a photo/video review with a new line and a new destination and I'll have a new camera that isn't even on the market yet. So- much to discover in my future!

Cheers!

Norris

Thank you for the booking Bimmer09! We look forward to welcoming you aboard in '19!! Or if you get itchy, join us in '17 and/or '18.

Here is our current special offer for 2018 voyages:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/luxury-cruise-deals/nights-on-us-sale?icid=hp_herobanner_nights_on_us_06012017

Thank you for the booking Bimmer09! We look forward to welcoming you aboard in '19!! Or if you get itchy, join us in '17 and/or '18.

Here is our current special offer for 2018 voyages:

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/luxury-cruise-deals/nights-on-us-sale?icid=hp_herobanner_nights_on_us_06012017

Bonnie, thanks for the welcome!

I have been on the Azamara mailing list for some time so am aware of the "nights on us" promo. I also get mail from Oceania, Cunard, Princess, Celebrity (those two being understandable) and from Costa who I'm unlikely to ever sail. So many ports, so little time (sigh).

My experience with Azamara has begun well-the website is actually functional (but nothing beats Princess for ease of use and detail). I asked for a quote and from the response have a name to speak to for my booking, as I do on Princess but not on X.

The wealth of video material on Azamara on Youtube, whether placed there by the line or by passengers and travel agents helps to whet the appetite and fill in any blanks I may have about life on board. As does this forum. I am pulling up a chair ....

We did look at an Oceania sailing to Cuba on the Sirena (Ocean Princess formerly) and compared the two lines and ....

Norris

Thank you very much for your Azamazing review. I feel that I was with you on the trip . thank you thank you

You are very welcome! I enjoy "virtual cruising" through others reviews myself, so this is what I hope happens when. I write them! Thank you for reading!

Cheers!

Norris

Yeah! I hope this fish is still in the ocean when you go, but again, being British and many other non US people sailing, I'm hopeful, Azamara will keep Cuba on the itinerary. I feel like Azamara being so destination focused will be well positioned to make the most of your stay there! As I mention throughout my review Azamaras "nimbleness" of itinerary and management will serve passengers traveling to Cuba with them well!

Ok, Bonnie, Norris booked, so where is my commission!? :') (ok of course I'm only kidding!) Enjoy your upcoming adventures, be they sea bass or sea horse!

You are very welcome! I enjoy "virtual cruising" through others reviews myself, so this is what I hope happens when. I write them! Thank you for reading!

Yeah! I hope this fish is still in the ocean when you go, but again, being British and many other non US people sailing, I'm hopeful, Azamara will keep Cuba on the itinerary. I feel like Azamara being so destination focused will be well positioned to make the most of your stay there! As I mention throughout my review Azamaras "nimbleness" of itinerary and management will serve passengers traveling to Cuba with them well!

Ok, Bonnie, Norris booked, so where is my commission!? :') (ok of course I'm only kidding!) Enjoy your upcoming adventures, be they sea bass or sea horse!

All I'm authorized to compensate you with is a million thank you's, if you don't count the time I spent pleading your case internally to get your VX back...with the argument that you're one of our loyal cruisers and loyal posters on CC. I always enjoy and appreciate your detailed reviews and comments on Cruise Critic. Thank you :hearteyes:

All I'm authorized to compensate you with is a million thank you's, if you don't count the time I spent pleading your case internally to get your VX back...with the argument that you're one of our loyal cruisers and loyal posters on CC. I always enjoy and appreciate your detailed reviews and comments on Cruise Critic. Thank you :hearteyes:

Aww, a million thank you s! What could be better? And I'll give them right back to you for helping recover our special cabin for our anniversary cruise! Good karma is worth to me than anything else! :)