Booking questions

Turtle05

I realize that with Alaskan cruises, you need to book ASAP or last minute. I need to know kind of a "no later than x months or days out" to get what I want at a decent price. For anyone who hasn't seen my others posts, I'm planning an Alaskan cruise with my DH and parents in 2017. We are unsure of when we can go due to jobs that aren't exactly early-vacation planning friendly. I see that most cruiselines allow cancellation with full refund on 7-day sailing as long as you cancel 75+ days out. However, I'd like to avoid cancelling and rebooking a new cruise, and I'd like to make my most informed decision as late as possible while still being able to get desired cabins at decent price. We are leaning heavily towards Princess, and DH and I would prefer at least a mini suite, and my mom wants at least an outside cabin, but I think if they can afford it, they would appreciate a balcony cabin.

So, what does everyone think is my best "no later than" time frame to book? I do not possess the personality that would allow me to book such a cruise last minute. Neither does my mom (hey, I get it honestly).

If you have preferences- mini suite, location, etc, you book sooner, rather than later.

Waiting to the last minute doesn't get you much control. You may settle on a certain week, and there aren't the type, level, or location of cabin you want available that week. Late airfares can eat up savings on last minute cruise bookings.

I doubt anybody is going to be able to say "book between X and Y days" for a decent price, because sales for each cruise vary. Plus, what you call a "decent" price might be entirely different from what others define it as, and may not even be relevant to what is actually be offered.

Edited by CruiserBruce

There are lower rates booking now for 2017. There isn't any magic date of bookings. :)

What's going to dictate it for you, is going to be your time off, isn't it? You can consider double booking. then cancel one of them before final payment. BUT, be fully aware that some booking agents do charge cancellation fees in ADDITION to what the cruise line may charge.

There are lower rates booking now for 2017. There isn't any magic date of bookings. :)

What's going to dictate it for you, is going to be your time off, isn't it? You can consider double booking. then cancel one of them before final payment. BUT, be fully aware that some booking agents do charge cancellation fees in ADDITION to what the cruise line may charge.

Unfortunately, booking now or really in the near future is not possible. DH is military, and he is due to be in a new position before the cruise. I'm [hopefully] at the tail end of a major career change, and I should have my new job by the end of this month. I have no idea what the vacation policy is for where I'm going, but I'd imagine it's restrictive, especially for new folks. Whereas DH typically gets holidays off, I am moving to something that does not get holidays off. That's another reason I'm aiming for the shoulder season. It should be easier all around for us to get off while kiddos are in school because parents don't typically take off that time either.

Double booking is an option if everyone else is on board. I've always booked directly through the cruise line.

I realize that with Alaskan cruises, you need to book ASAP or last minute. I need to know kind of a "no later than x months or days out" to get what I want at a decent price. For anyone who hasn't seen my others posts, I'm planning an Alaskan cruise with my DH and parents in 2017. We are unsure of when we can go due to jobs that aren't exactly early-vacation planning friendly. I see that most cruiselines allow cancellation with full refund on 7-day sailing as long as you cancel 75+ days out. However, I'd like to avoid cancelling and rebooking a new cruise, and I'd like to make my most informed decision as late as possible while still being able to get desired cabins at decent price. We are leaning heavily towards Princess, and DH and I would prefer at least a mini suite, and my mom wants at least an outside cabin, but I think if they can afford it, they would appreciate a balcony cabin.

So, what does everyone think is my best "no later than" time frame to book? I do not possess the personality that would allow me to book such a cruise last minute. Neither does my mom (hey, I get it honestly).

You need to be ready to book when you firm up your vacation dates.

Prior to that you need to research the itineraries. Look at what sailings are offered, decide which itinerary you are interested in, look at the locations of cabins that you would choose. You can do all of that without choosing a date. The itineraries repeat throughout the season.

Once you have narrowed down the ships and itineraries you can watch prices. Early on May will be cheaper but as those cruises fill up the other prices may come down. Supply and demand. Start keeping track of the price of your choices around October or a year out if you prefer. That way you will see the fluctuations, the specials offered, and you will be ready when you see the price you are willing to pay for the cruise you want to book.

If you wait until after final payment you may or may not get the cruise you want.

You REALLY have to be flexible if you wait. You also need to consider the availability of flights from your region.

Don't know when your situation will firm up but thought I'd share our cost experience.

My fiancé and I booked in late January for a cruise that's happening in August of 2016. That's a 7 month lead time which is still considered early saver. Granted, this is with Carnival, which is not one of the typical Alaska cruise lines. We managed to get an obstructed view balcony for 1199 with OBC of $50. We were able to choose an ideal room for us. I did not see it cheaper before that point (it went down just that week) and I have not seen it cheaper since.

In fact, the cruise for next summer (August 2017) is more expensive if I booked now than what we paid.

All this to say, with booking early, you can get a room you want and always count on at least getting that price fixed and get it adjusted if it goes down, which is obviously ideal, but it doesn't mean that you can't find a great room and rate later. 6 months out still worked out great for us for an August cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app