Cruising solo

miataman19

Been cruising since the late 70's and always sailed with someone. This July I'll be sailing solo. I know they have get togethers on the first couple of days for singles but I never payed attention to it. What should I expect? I'll be on an 8 day Southern on Valor July 16 which is also my birthday.

Been cruising since the late 70's and always sailed with someone. This July I'll be sailing solo. I know they have get togethers on the first couple of days for singles but I never payed attention to it. What should I expect? I'll be on an 8 day Southern on Valor July 16 which is also my birthday.

About 75% of my cruises have been solo (not single), so I don't attend the singles meets. In all fairness, not many do anyway.

I usually join a roll call on CC and/or elsewhere, and can meet other cruisers thru the M&G's, slot pulls, etc. that get set up. I also ask for a large dining table setting in the MDR.

Have fun and enjoy your BDay cruise.

I have been cruising solo since 2010. I have never attended one of the single/solo meetings. I have met friends through the Roll Calls, and continue to sail with them now.

I, personally, do not like dining with strangers. If I have friends on a cruise, we usually will do ATD, and have a meeting place every night at a certain time. Whoever shows up eats together.

If you have no problem eating with others, they will usually try to sit other solo travelers at a large dining table at the set eating times.

I wouldn't cruise any other way. I love my freedom to pick what I want to do, where I want to go, and whether I feel like being social or be by myself.

Have fun...you will have a great time.

Here's a link for solo cruisers:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=373

Edited by crzndeb

That's my birthday too!

I met and dined with people from my roll call. Another solo cruiser made reservations for those who wanted to dine at the specialty restaurants. It worked out very well.

Have fun!

Sue

I cruise "solo" too. It is very easy to meet folks on any activity on ship. Even with YTD you can ask to sit with different people every night.

Good things if you like them are trivia, Piano sing along, certain group shore excursions..

If they do set up a singles meet go if you want....I suspect there will be people there with similar goals as yours and bet each time is different..hit or miss. I think NCL has a lot to offer with those studio cabins and group things for another try sometime.... any ship you can join a roll call and try to plan a special dinner etc. in the "special" restaurant or maybe chef's table if you find a group or that would be a good thing to go to and meet foodies if you like that. Mixology may be fun as a solo where they mix virgin or alcohol specialties you and come up with together....Sometimes good to read reviews of solo cruisers....you can do a search for that.

Movie times are relaxing and you are with and not with as you like..next ship I hope has an outdoor theater.

Here is a fun thread where folks put up good prices for solos....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=851324&highlight=best+deals+lately.

Change is the only constant isn't it......Bon Voyage...after initial change from one way with someone for a long time there is a comfort curve to break.....but most of us solos just become very spoiled.......enjoy yourself.

Edited by sjn911

I too, cruise SOLO (Not Single) quite often, and ALWAYS meet lots of nice folks to mingle with during the cruise. I always ask for assigned seating in the dining room, and a BIG table. The maitre'd has always seated me at a table with other solo cruisers, and that too, is a great way to meet folks to do the activities with, aboard ship, and ashore.

You're gonna have a fantastic time cruising SOLO. ;)

"SKY"

We are close to the same age, I would guess. I have sailed with a traveling companion at times. More often than not, I am a solo cruiser.

I have gone to solo/single get togethers that the cruise staff provide. Some work; most don't. The meetings that usually work are on longer cruises.

I do not mind dining with others in a fixed seating situation. I tried open seating once and grew weary of the constant re-introduction of myself to others each night. No bondng took place nor could it in such a situation.

Best place for a solo cruiser to meet new people who are compatible: sit at the bar in a well patronized lounge. If one likes music, Piano Bars are great venues! On a Carnival Cruise Line vessel, the Atrium Bar is one where I have had the most fun and most success in connecting with new people. The Staff at the Atrium Bar also help to make the time spent very enjoyable.

Enjoy your cruise!