Anthem hand wringing

I've been quickly looking at some of the threads over the past few weeks regarding Anthem sailing in, through and around storms and seeing all the hand wringing and worry people are expressing. My DW and I have been fortunate to have taken over 50 cruises and have experienced some pretty nasty storms on much smaller ships than Anthem.

Yes, it's uncomfortable and can sometimes be a little scary but you have to rely on the fact that the ship's captain is going to do the best he can to keep you safe. Sometimes, despite their best efforts and the crazy things a storm can do when it gets out over the open ocean, they get caught in a situation like Anthem did a few weeks ago. Yes, the trip got cut short and people got seasick but, to my knowledge, no one was lost overboard or sustained any life threatening injuries due to the ship handling skills of the captain and crew.

The bottom line here is this: IF YOU'RE GOING TO CRUISE IN THE NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN DURING THE WINTER, YOU'D BETTER BE PREPARED FOR SUDDEN MAJOR STORMS.

It's just like those who book Caribbean cruises during the height of hurricane season. You are willing to take that chance that there won't be a hurricane the week you cruise. If there is, then you have to deal with it the best you can.

Please don't come on here bitching about how bad the weather was and how the ship rocked and rolled if you get caught in these storms especially if you cruise during peak storm season in the Atlantic or Caribbean.

Please don't come on here bitching about wanting a free cruise because the weather was crappy the week you chose to cruise and you couldn't go into certain ports because of weather issues. If you take a land vacation and have terrible weather when you reach your vacation destination are you going to demand that the airlines give you a refund because they brought you there and you couldn't do what you wanted or demand the hotel give you a refund for the same reasons?

Any time you travel, no matter what the means of travel you choose, there are risks that you have to accept unless there is some type of gross negligence on the part of some company you use as part of your travel package.

Learn to roll with the punches and your life will be much calmer and, most likely, longer.

Our first cruise was 19 years ago during hurricane season. (Didn't know any better) We played "dodge the hurricane" and only went to one scheduled port.

It did not stop us from cruising, we simply don't cruise during that time.

We agree, although my wife was really concerned for a couple of days after watching the videos.

We were relieved to read the actual facts about the storm from the Coast Guard and about how well the ship and officer's were regarded by (I would say) most CC members that were passengers and how few passengers were injured.

I've learned quite a bit from some certified, credentialed and experience Captains on CC that post; but it doesn't take long to get a firestorm of posts when the "decision to embark" was made with the forecast perspective of a number of CC posters.

Again, agree.

I suggest that you get "ready to start ducking;" it still might be a 'hot button for some.

We are just glad everyone is OK and they got back.

We are in the 'almost 3-week window to a 12N Anthem cruise and we are 'loving finishing up the planning for it (were are down to ports on days 7-9 re: excursions).

I love these threads. DW and I had our first RCCL cruise with my parents over Christmas of 1994 (Nordic Empress). Had terrible weather and could not stop at the ports as planned. Never once did we think it was the cruise lines 'fault' nor did we get free drinks or coupons. Just never occurred to us. That being said, DW did not agree to another cruise until 2008! Now we are D+ and recently booked Anthem (in Jul not Feb) just because of all the publicity. I love cruising and I get a huge kick out of Cruise Critic. :D

It means "Get some popcorn, sit back and watch the show!" The show is the back and forth opinion posting on a controversial subject.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've noted the lack of controversy and basic agreement with what I posted originally.

The sense of entitlement and inability of many people to accept responsibility for their actions really ticks me off sometimes.

I've been quickly looking at some of the threads over the past few weeks regarding Anthem sailing in, through and around storms and seeing all the hand wringing and worry people are expressing. My DW and I have been fortunate to have taken over 50 cruises and have experienced some pretty nasty storms on much smaller ships than Anthem.

Yes, it's uncomfortable and can sometimes be a little scary but you have to rely on the fact that the ship's captain is going to do the best he can to keep you safe. Sometimes, despite their best efforts and the crazy things a storm can do when it gets out over the open ocean, they get caught in a situation like Anthem did a few weeks ago. Yes, the trip got cut short and people got seasick but, to my knowledge, no one was lost overboard or sustained any life threatening injuries due to the ship handling skills of the captain and crew.

The bottom line here is this: IF YOU'RE GOING TO CRUISE IN THE NORTH ATLANTIC OCEAN DURING THE WINTER, YOU'D BETTER BE PREPARED FOR SUDDEN MAJOR STORMS.

It's just like those who book Caribbean cruises during the height of hurricane season. You are willing to take that chance that there won't be a hurricane the week you cruise. If there is, then you have to deal with it the best you can.

Please don't come on here bitching about how bad the weather was and how the ship rocked and rolled if you get caught in these storms especially if you cruise during peak storm season in the Atlantic or Caribbean.

Please don't come on here bitching about wanting a free cruise because the weather was crappy the week you chose to cruise and you couldn't go into certain ports because of weather issues. If you take a land vacation and have terrible weather when you reach your vacation destination are you going to demand that the airlines give you a refund because they brought you there and you couldn't do what you wanted or demand the hotel give you a refund for the same reasons?

Any time you travel, no matter what the means of travel you choose, there are risks that you have to accept unless there is some type of gross negligence on the part of some company you use as part of your travel package.

Learn to roll with the punches and your life will be much calmer and, most likely, longer.

Couldn't agree more! We've been in a couple bad storms (one time we were even sent to our cabin for 6 hours because the storm was so bad) but I didn't even think about faulting RCI or the captain or filing a lawsuit or anything like that. And OMG we missed a couple ports a few times and I didn't pitch a 9 acre fit at guest services or anything (yes, I've seen grown women doing this and it's ridiculous)!

I've noted the lack of controversy and basic agreement with what I posted originally.

I have been pleasantly surprised lately that quite a few threads I have read have not deteriorated like has become common on here. I really hope CC are getting rid of some of the trolls. That would be just so fantastic.

I agree. I visited Disneyland in April a number of years ago, it was freezing and rained every day...Disney certainly didn't give me any money back. I've been camping in down pours so hard my tent flooded and I had to pack up and go home, no refund. I've been on other cruises that couldn't port due to weather and maybe got my port fees back but nothing more.

Having been on the recent, Feb 21st, sailing on the Anthem it came as no shock when RC said they would refund us for the 2 days they shortened the cruise. But...when they said they would give us a 50% FCC, I was in total shock! I certainly did not expect that nor think I was due it. I'll put it to good use, for sure, but did not feel it was necessary for RC to do.

Nr1sub, actually if you look up the division of the Atlantic, everything north of the equator is considered the North Atlantic Ocean.

Geography aside, my point still remains that if you cruise in any part of the Atlantic off the coast of the U.S. during the winter from say the border of North and South Carolina, you should be prepared for rough weather and rough seas and not be surprised or upset when your cruise ship has to deal with adverse cruising conditions.

You sure shouldn't expect some sort of compensation for the bad weather unless a trip,is cut short, as it was this week, due to being cautious about possible conditions.

I don't think sailing out of Bayonne is considered NORTH ATLANTIC

Well it def isn't the South Atlantic.

Nice first post BTW.

The people on the first storm cruise got a full refund AND 50% off a future cruise. I think that's above and beyond, esp since it is 100% NOT the cruiseline's fault. I wonder though, is it 50% off full published price? or is it 50% off whatever is the going rate?

The sense of entitlement and inability of many people to accept responsibility for their actions really ticks me off sometimes.

I agree with your post.....I didn't mean to imply that your post was controversial. Hope my explanation of "Popcorn" was accurate! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Well it def isn't the South Atlantic.

Nice first post BTW.

The people on the first storm cruise got a full refund AND 50% off a future cruise. I think that's above and beyond, esp since it is 100% NOT the cruiseline's fault. I wonder though, is it 50% off full published price? or is it 50% off whatever is the going rate?

We were on that Feb. 6 storm cruise and trust me, it was just as scary and horrific as originally described! But we survived it and thought Capt. Claus did an excellent job handling the ship in extraordinary winds and high seas.

Should we have received the compensation we were given? Absolutely! And just to clarify: the 50% off next cruise is 50% of what you paid for your Feb. 6 cruise, and that does not include port charges. If you paid $900. pp for that cruise, you received a voucher for $450. toward a future one. It is NOT 50% off whatever you want to spend on a future cruise.