??s About Island Princess

alwalaska

Deck 8 is the only aft public outdoor space (apart from deck 16).

Deck 16 aft is not open to the public, its within the sanctuary so if you don't have space reserved then its not available.

There were ATD lines into the atrium from opening at 5:00-8:30 every evening for our cruise. :(

Deck 16 aft is not open to the public, its within the sanctuary so if you don't have space reserved then its not available.

There were ATD lines into the atrium from opening at 5:00-8:30 every evening for our cruise. :(

That line up seems to happen on all the ship's with ATI. It started about 18 months ago.

There is a balcony area that runs the width of the stern on Deck 8 that you can sort of see in pictures of the Island P. It is about 3 to 5 feet deep, covered, but when we were on in December there were no chairs or anywhere to sit. Great area to be going thru the locks on the canal, but hard on the feet to have to stand for a long time.

I thought the sanctuary was on deck 15? I was meaning the area on deck 16 around the sports courts looking out backwards over the sanctuary. Sorry for any confusion.

Seems like we were lucky with our experience of ATD.

Edited by FirstCruiseBeth

There is a balcony area that runs the width of the stern on Deck 8 that you can sort of see in pictures of the Island P. It is about 3 to 5 feet deep, covered, but when we were on in December there were no chairs or anywhere to sit. Great area to be going thru the locks on the canal, but hard on the feet to have to stand for a long time.

Thanks for the info.

Our cabin is right next to that area, but I'm thinking it will get extremely crowded since there aren't a lot of other places to watch the progress through the locks.

Can't really speak to the entertainment venues as we don't generally go and I don't remember what was listed in the Patters. If you get the chance and are interested, there is a pretty interesting area near the front of the Wheelhouse Bar that has antique cruising stuff. Internet worked well when we were on, I think the upgrades or changes they made really made a difference. The internet guy was super nice and helpful - can't remember his name and just 'cause he was on our cruise doesn't mean he is still there. Hope this helps.

Anne

Thanks Anne. We love areas like this. I am adding this post to my "do not forget" info.

Edited by alwalaska

Was also recently sailed on the Island Ft. L to LA. Made it to main dining room in time for lunch. But the menu has been lessened greatly from just 6 months ago. Still nice and quiet and good way to begin your travels. We have travelled on many Princess ships and none have had such great service and pleasant employees.

I'm booked in an aft interior on Emerald deck. I did this for easy access to the aft viewing area. Is this a mistake because it will be so crowded now that it's the only aft area? This is for Alaska. Yikes...

I'm booked in an aft interior on Emerald deck. I did this for easy access to the aft viewing area. Is this a mistake because it will be so crowded now that it's the only aft area? This is for Alaska. Yikes...

The narrow aft deck space on Emerald Deck 8, will be jammed for sure, perhaps you could get to know someone with a balcony cabin.

Enjoy your cruise anyway.