Thoughts about pre tipping?

SheriffJoe

Isn't bribery rather strong terminology for pre-tipping cabin stewards?

Wouldn't a better use of the word bribery be best saved for someone like a member of the Mafia who pays off judges in order to receive lighter prison sentences?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Isn't bribery rather strong terminology for pre-tipping cabin stewards?

Wouldn't a better use of the word bribery be best saved for someone like a member of the Mafia who pays off judges in order to receive lighter prison sentences?

The only reason for "pre-tipping" is to attempt to get better service than others are getting. So yes, it is a bribe.

The only reason for "pre-tipping" is to attempt to get better service than others are getting. So yes, it is a bribe.

And the BEST thing about bribing them with pre tips for better service is that IT WORKS! :D And for those that say they get good service without pre tipping you really don't know cause you haven't tried it and you may be missing out on outstanding service, its too late when you tip the last night....

Cabin stewards have a job that they preform. Their training and experience has taught them what is and is not their job. Sometimes stewards will preform tasks that are not or should not be within the scope of their duties. They usually do this without complaint and free of charge to their passenger. If I have a need, wish or desire that is within the scope of their duties then I will simply tell him or her my needs or expectation. Requests like, "come back later", "the soap is empty", "more towels or ice please", are examples of tasks within his/her job description. Service by them for these tasks are expected and included in my fare.

If I am too lazy, tired, or simply unwilling to preform a task myself that is also outside of his service job I will simply pay my cabin steward or anyone for that matter I enlist to do the labor for me. This might be, and extra mint on my pillow (available for sale in the gift shop if I wasn't so lazy), an extra patter on my nightstand (available at the pursers desk if I wasn't so lazy). A case of soda placed in the refrigerator. For these requests I will pay immediately for his/her labor at time of service. They are now doing a job not required and/or allowed to do.

When food comes in the dining room and everything is standard order and deliver, I pay only the recommended amount at the final dinner. If I need food replaced or altered or ask for items not listed on the days meal schedule then I will pay for the labor they performed for me or my guests at time of service.

I simply hand workers cash for services rendered. It is certainly not any pre-tip. Is not pre-tip an oxymoron anyway?

I must respectfully disagree with this. If anything, the tip would be to assure an equal service like everyone else is getting while also showing a level of gratitude for a smiling, kind, generous cabin steward in advance of said service. We tip because we are moved by compassion and because we feel good, much like how we are moved by the Holy Spirit at church.

I must respectfully disagree with this. If anything, the tip would be to assure an equal service like everyone else is getting while also showing a level of gratitude for a smiling, kind, generous cabin steward in advance of said service. We tip because we are moved by compassion and because we feel good, much like how we are moved by the Holy Spirit at church.

Can we get an amen? :D

I don't think you can say it any better than that!!!

And the BEST thing about bribing them with pre tips for better service is that IT WORKS! :D And for those that say they get good service without pre tipping you really don't know cause you haven't tried it and you may be missing out on outstanding service, its too late when you tip the last night....

the term TIP means "To insure prompt service" so to call it a pre tip is incorrect tips at one time were always given before service. Myself I give my tips at the end of the cruise to most people but if there is someone that is so good a little extra never hurts.

Oh dear!! This thread always amazes me. Tell me this. When the plumber or electrician comes to your home to do a job, do you tip him to make sure he does a good job? In fact to put this issue in perspective do you tip the plumber or electrician at all? Will someone please tell me what this difference is. Everyone works and for working they get paid. If you get paid more than someone else does that ensure that you do a better job or if you get paid less does that mean you do a poorer job. This will now open it up and I can see this going on and on and on and on and on - just asking.:)

Oh dear!! This thread always amazes me. Tell me this. When the plumber or electrician comes to your home to do a job, do you tip him to make sure he does a good job? In fact to put this issue in perspective do you tip the plumber or electrician at all? Will someone please tell me what this difference is. Everyone works and for working they get paid. If you get paid more than someone else does that ensure that you do a better job or if you get paid less does that mean you do a poorer job. This will now open it up and I can see this going on and on and on and on and on - just asking.:)

The difference is, at least in America, plumbers and electricians do not get a tip. They just get paid a salary or a fee for service. An event takes place like fixing an outlet or fixing a toilet and it's over. Tipping a cabin steward or a waiter is a way to ensure prompt service throughout your cruise.

the term TIP means "To insure prompt service" so to call it a pre tip is incorrect tips at one time were always given before service. Myself I give my tips at the end of the cruise to most people but if there is someone that is so good a little extra never hurts.

Good point.

But Plumbers and electrictricians aren't in the tourism business, so I do discern a difference there. this is kind of like comparing apples to oranges, but since you brought it up, we do tip delivery people, those who install our office furniture, those who deliver our appliances and furniture, and those who install our floors, and my husband also receives generous tips many times after doing construction projects in people's homes.

In America, we are all about the tip. I love tipping

Edited by 4cats4me

A little presumptuous aren't we? I in no way said everyone else should pre tip....in fact I prefer most don't cause if everyone did then how would I get served before you in the Martini Bar or be enjoying my drink as soon as I sit down in the MDR while you are looking all around for a cocktail? :eek:

Not presumptuous at all. I was just asking to see why they thought that pre tipping would help get better service one place and not another. Did they make a habit of trying to bribe a service person on the assumption that if they did not they would not get "good" service or are they wanting to be given service that is not given too others to their detriment? Why should they be given service before or better than others just because they seem to have more money to spend?

Those examples are not the same. Those are short interactions that, clearly, warrant some level of tip determined by the immediate service. A pre-cruise tip to a steward or a regular bar tender, in my opinion, helps to ensure better than normal service over the course of a longer, more than one time interaction.

They are exactly the same the problem is they show where the fallacy on pre tipping is at. You want to ensure extra service by bribing the server in one case but not in others. Why would you be so selective? I like the term "pompous" used by another poster.

And for those that do it all the time how do you know what the standard service is instead of bribing other. Assuming others do not know because they do not do it your way is truly pompous and elite.

And for those that do it all the time how do you know what the standard service is instead of bribing other. Assuming others do not know because they do not do it your way is truly pompous and elite.

We have tried it both ways, tipping the first day, and waiting for the end. In my opinion, a tip or bribery the first day does create better service. It's not complicated from our end.

We have been cruising for almost 27 yrs..........before the auto gratuity came into play..........and anytime dining

I remember many last nights of dining when tables were empty.....maybe to avoid that envelope...........or not

In those days you could bring on booze, wine and beer.....might have been a sommelier on board........stewards had less cabins to clean

the auto gratuity has been wonderful for us..........but in the past we always gave more than the recommended amounts

we have many requests from our Stewards that enhances out cruise experience.....and call it a throw back to 27 yrs of cruising ......we do the glad hand shake at the beginning of the cruise and sometimes again at the end, depending on how much extra we require on a certain cruise

we have had several of the most outstanding stewards.....on sea day automatic ice down of champagne with glasses in room , when we have left a bottle in fridge......and many other extra services , some we requested and some just appeared

and yes we do give the bar staff / wait staff extra too.........I worked in food services for many years and have a certain standard....and when they go beyond ...we think it is nice to let them know we appreciated how special they enhanced our cruise experience...

we like to interact with the staff if they have time, and usually always cruise around time of birthdays / anniversary.........

on one cruise wait staff composed a song for our anniversary and played a ukulele and sang it to us and gave us a copy of the song....which we framed

you can appreciate the staff in so many ways......not just with extra money..........they are away from home for long stretches..........I call it acknowledging their "personhood".....

We have tried it both ways, tipping the first day, and waiting for the end. In my opinion, a tip or bribery the first day does create better service. It's not complicated from our end.

Have never had bad service in the several cruises we have taken. It is not complicated frm our end. Tipping at end of cruise instead of bribery at the begining. No sense n wasting money for items already provided.

you can appreciate the staff in so many ways......not just with extra money..........they are away from home for long stretches..........I call it acknowledging their "personhood".....

Totally agree with you! While we personally do not believe in pre-tipping, we do tip at the end of the cruise depending on the service. During the cruise to lighten the stewards' work load (this in no way lessens the tip), we will tell him some nights not to bother with our cabin just leave clean towels and chocolates;)...after all I don't clean at home twice a day:eek:. In the morning, if we are planning on sitting on our balcony to enjoy our coffee,we will tell the steward to feel free to come and do the room whenever he wants because we don't want to hold him up. It may not seem much to us, but they are so appreciative. On our last cruise, our room steward has 19 cabins:(.