Passports or Birth Certificates?

ilovemy3boys

When I booked the cruise on the Miracle to Mexico, the lady said my boys do not need passports, but I have always heard they did to go down there. 2 of my boys have one...one does not. My passport is expired. Has anyone had issues just using birth certificates? Or...should I spend the extra few hundred dollars and get my youngest son and me a new one? Thanks in advance for the help with this.

When I booked the cruise on the Miracle to Mexico, the lady said my boys do not need passports, but I have always heard they did to go down there. 2 of my boys have one...one does not. My passport is expired. Has anyone had issues just using birth certificates? Or...should I spend the extra few hundred dollars and get my youngest son and me a new one? Thanks in advance for the help with this.

Passports, because they are the best form of ID and they will be needed for air travel if an emergency turns up. It's a good solid investment for the life of the passport 10 years.

I've even gone to global entry because I travel enough.

Others will say a passport is not needed now, and that's true, until you really need one and then what?

If you use travel insurance, then get a passport for the same reasons.

How old are your boys? 16yo get 10 year passports.

If something happens on the cruise the closest Consulate is in Puerto Vallarta.

Edited by SadieN

Get a passport. For the few extra bucks it can save you tons of hassle if you get stuck somewhere. Also, if a great last minute travel deal comes up; no matter where on the planet-- you're good to go. Just my half a cents worth... Bill.

If you are US citizens on a closed loop cruise you do not need passports. Government issued birth certificates and government issued photo ID (for those 16 or older) are fine. Of course if something happens and you need to fly home then you would need to enlist the help of a US Consulate or Embassy. It's up to you to decide how much risk you have and how comfortable you are with that risk.

You don't need a passport for the cruise, no. We had no problem at all using our birth certificates for our first two cruises. For our upcoming cruise next month however, we decided to go ahead and get the passport cards for ourselves and our two kids. We figured we'd rather be prepared just in case anything would happen, will make things a little easier.

You don't need a passport for the cruise, no. We had no problem at all using our birth certificates for our first two cruises. For our upcoming cruise next month however, we decided to go ahead and get the passport cards for ourselves and our two kids. We figured we'd rather be prepared just in case anything would happen, will make things a little easier.

How do you think having passport cards are going to help out?

You cannot fly with a passport card.

You really have nothing you didn't have with the birth cert.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

How do you think having passport cards are going to help out?

You cannot fly with a passport card.

You really have nothing you didn't have with the birth cert.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

And you actually have less - money that is. Because you pay for the same privilege that using the birth certificate alone gives you.

Edited by Shmoo here

I'm sailing on a somewhat last minute cruise and paying for an expedited passport (I currently have a passport card in my married name and have since divorced and changed my name). I also sent off for a backup birth certificate today, just in case, since they take your BC when you apply for a passport. Worst case scenarario and my passport doesn't make it in four weeks even with being expedited, I'll still be able to get on the ship. Of course, as long as my BC arrives on schedule :rolleyes: I'm trying to cover all my bases!

I have a card, which was foolish of me on my first cruise but I was paying for three people so it was a crunch. You may as well just go with a BC if you're looking at those..they're essentially useless in comparison and totally not worth the money.

Why all this effort? Because if, God forbid, you miss you boat someplace, you are in for a real red tape tangle if you have less than a regular passport. Likely to happen? No, not really. If it does though, you'll be thanking your lucky stars you got a passport. Get the regular passport. It's a good investment and you won't have to deal with this for another 10 years.

I was planning on going to the local post office Monday, and applying for a passport. I knew you had to have your birth certificate with you, but they actually take it, and don't return it to you during the application process?

I just want to make sure I order a second copy to have, if they do in fact, take it from you when you apply.

Yes, they do. I THINK you can give them a certified copy but it's been a long time since I did it last and that may not be correct. Someone will come along I'm sure and let you know. They return all the documents to you via mail after the passport is issued.

It's kind of funny because I woke up this morning with that epiphany. I'm 95% sure my passport will go through in time with the expedited service, but I'm a worry wort and like back up plans.

Edited to add: I'll be at the passport office Monday too! Cheers to a fast turnaround!

Edited by DenaInWyo

Yes, they do. I THINK you can give them a certified copy but it's been a long time since I did it last and that may not be correct. Someone will come along I'm sure and let you know. They return all the documents to you via mail after the passport is issued.

It's kind of funny because I woke up this morning with that epiphany. I'm 95% sure my passport will go through in time with the expedited service, but I'm a worry wort and like back up plans.

Edited to add: I'll be at the passport office Monday too! Cheers to a fast turnaround!

Thanks for the quick response! I feel a little better that they at least get returned after the fact. Good luck getting thing squared away Monday!

On a side note, I see you live in Wyoming. We took a road trip with a friend back in May of 2013 out to Utah, along I-80. We decided Wyoming had the best rest stops along the way :D. I think its so beautiful out there! I hope to make it back out that way sometime soon!

Thanks for the quick response! I feel a little better that they at least get returned after the fact. Good luck getting thing squared away Monday!

On a side note, I see you live in Wyoming. We took a road trip with a friend back in May of 2013 out to Utah, along I-80. We decided Wyoming had the best rest stops along the way :D. I think its so beautiful out there! I hope to make it back out that way sometime soon!

It's beautiful in the spring and summer, but not so much in the winter when the wind is blowing the snow into 10 ft drifts :rolleyes: On the other hand, we have smaller than average bugs, very few tornadoes, no hurricanes and so few people none of our towns warrant a "freeway". I guess it's a trade off. The biggest complaint I have is that it's so far from any cruise port :D

Good luck to you too on Monday!

My daughter's expired last year before our cruise, so I saved the money from the renewal and just brought her birth certificate and the expired passport. We had no issues. I'm going to do the same this year as well.

You should be fine on Carnival, but if you are a single parent don't even think about Princess. If children are only traveling with one adult on Princess the parent and kids must all have valid passports.

PASSPORT REQUIREMENT WHEN MINORS TRAVEL WITH ONE ADULT ON VOYAGES GOVERNED BY THE U.S. WESTERN HEMISPHERE TRAVEL INITIATIVE (includes travel within BERMUDA, CANADA, CARIBBEAN, HAWAII, MEXICO, PANAMA CANAL, UNITED STATES) When minors are traveling with only one adult 21 years of age or older, Princess requires that all guests must be in possession of a valid passport. We have implemented this requirement because we want to ensure that your party remains together should an emergency arise that requires one or more in your party to be disembarked in a non-U.S. port. We cannot guarantee that all members of your party will be allowed to disembark with just a WHTI-compliant document or birth certificate. Failure to present a valid passport for all guests traveling together will result in denial of boarding without refund of the of the cruise or cruisetour fare.

I am just surprised that all the other companies owned by Carnival Corp have not instituted the same policy.

Edited by DebJ14

All 4 of my Grandkids from 8 to 14 yrs old have passports, and they like to collect and compare the passport stamps from different countries.

They promised me they wouldn't post any pictures of their passports pages on any social media. I hope they keep that promise and avoid any peer pressure or impulses to instagram or whatever.