Carnival Legend Alaska cruise question

kctwinmommy

Hello all,

We're just getting back into cruising again, having been on a few in the warm climates, but never in Alaska. Really looking forward to it! We're going in July and I was curious as to how the temperatures have been? I realize nothing is set in stone and it can always change, but just looking for what past cruisers have found during that month.

My other question is how are the temps on the ship? I get cold easily, like even on the Caribbean cruises, I wear a light sweater in the evening, and in the dining room. So I'm just looking for suggestions on what to pack for evenings and dining room options. I'm used to packing cute summer dresses and such.

Thanks for any advice...

Off the ship you just never know. Key is to layer clothing. It could be cool, warm or even hot or sunny, windy or rainy or a combination of some of this on the same day. History means nothing. Bring some shorts but you might or might not wear them. A waterproof jacket with hood is helpful. Be able to layer underneath a fleece/sweathshirt or sweater but also some short sleeve shirts. You just never know what the weather will be like.

Keith

Off the ship you just never know. Key is to layer clothing. It could be cool, warm or even hot or sunny, windy or rainy or a combination of some of this on the same day. History means nothing. Bring some shorts but you might or might not wear them. A waterproof jacket with hood is helpful. Be able to layer underneath a fleece/sweathshirt or sweater but also some short sleeve shirts. You just never know what the weather will be like.

Keith

Thanks, I figured that's what it would be like. I'm more curious as to how things are on the ship.

We did Alaska on CCL Spirit.

Temps on the ship were fine. My wife always brought a shawl to put over her shoulders on elegant nights.

The wind will be chilly out on open decks as the ship is moving...even if it's a warm sunny day...bear that in mind as you sail towards the glaciers...a warm hat and gloves are not out of the question if you plan on staying outside the whole time your are cruising the glaciers...

Early mornings are chilly as well...but they are the best time to do some whale spotting as the ship sails thru Frederick Sound...we saw hundreds of them...as well as Purpoises.

Thanks, I figured that's what it would be like. I'm more curious as to how things are on the ship.

I wear a sweatshirt jacket all the time on the ship. It isn't that warm. As mentioned, layers are a must, also needing hat and gloves. Hopefully you already know- it is common for this ship NOT to get anything, but a partial distance glacier view in Tracy Arm. IF a priority to see glaciers, then you need to book the add on Tracy Arm ship tour, FAR superior to the cruise ship transit.

It's easy to add a Mendenhall look out of Juneau, but pretty so so glacier on the wow scale. :)

Figure out your port activities in advance and what you want out of your trip. A lot of opportunity. :)

Edited by Budget Queen

I wear a sweatshirt jacket all the time on the ship. It isn't that warm. As mentioned, layers are a must, also needing hat and gloves. Hopefully you already know- it is common for this ship NOT to get anything, but a partial distance glacier view in Tracy Arm. IF a priority to see glaciers, then you need to book the add on Tracy Arm ship tour, FAR superior to the cruise ship transit.

It's easy to add a Mendenhall look out of Juneau, but pretty so so glacier on the wow scale. :)

Figure out your port activities in advance and what you want out of your trip. A lot of opportunity. :)

Yes, thanks... we already booked our excursions. We're doing the Tracy Arm one for sure, the up close boat one. And then one in Skagway and Juneau (helicopter glacier tour there).