First Transatlantic Jitters

OneMoreTime

We have a cabin on hold until 7:30 tonight for the April 10th 13 night transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Southhampton. We've never done a transatlantic and we're concerned about the 8 nights at sea before our first port of call. We have 27 cruises under our belt but this one kind of scares me.

We have a cabin on hold until 7:30 tonight for the April 10th 13 night transatlantic from Fort Lauderdale to Southhampton. We've never done a transatlantic and we're concerned about the 8 nights at sea before our first port of call. We have 27 cruises under our belt but this one kind of scares me.

Not sure what you are scared about. It is just a cruise, with many sea days.

Suggest that you join the roll call for the cruise and try to join or organize activities like a cabin crawl, gift exchange, slot pull, murder mystery and more.

Also, there are activities on the ship like trivia and wine tasting events.

I suggest taking some books to read. I read a lot and I read 5 books on our last 14 day TA. The library onboard may have books you are interested in, but don't count on it.

I always visited the fitness center as well.

One More Time - can you explain what you are concerned about?

If you are worried about being bored, lots of people can tell you about how wonderful it is to sink into the rhythm of sea days.

If you are worried about being so far from land in the event of an emergency ( at home or on board) that's a very personal issue dependent on your circumstances and your own risk tolerance. There are other transatlantics with less consecutive sea days that you might be more comfortable with.

Not sure exactly what's making me hesitant to finalize - guess it's more the issue of the weather and how rocky it can get. I have MS and a bit unsteady on my feet at times. I think I'm just going to go for it! You only live once!! I've always wanted to do a Transatlantic so no better time than the present:)

You didn't mention who you have the cruise booked with. A well known online site has your 13 night Silhouette transatlantic selling for $509pp inside/$549pp ocean view/and $584pp for a balcony. (taxes and tips not included)

If your price is higher than that, I suggest you cancel it and save some money.

AIR2SEA (formerly Choice Air) has return flights from LHR to FLL on 25 April for as little as $451pp on Delta, or $365pp to ATL on American.

Edited by teecee60

We love transatlantics! We're doing our seventh this spring, plus we've done one transpacific and have another scheduled for 2017. Totally love the long luscious days at sea. You can participate in the many offered activities or not.

If you're worried about being far from land, here's a quote from Garry Larsen, then captain of the Constellation: The deeper the ocean, the better she floats."

Not sure exactly what's making me hesitant to finalize - guess it's more the issue of the weather and how rocky it can get. I have MS and a bit unsteady on my feet at times. I think I'm just going to go for it! You only live once!! I've always wanted to do a Transatlantic so no better time than the present:)

We've completed four trans-Atlantics and two trans-Pacific cruises. We've rarely experienced rough sea conditions. With all those sea days there seems to be enough time to deviate around any problematic weather.

With the sea days TAs and TPs are so luxurious. The entire ship becomes very relaxed but I do find that I have to be careful or I'll find myself sleeping later and later each day. If I let myself do that it is quite the surprise when we do have a port and I have to wake up at a more "normal" time. But we enjoy them so much that we have a TA scheduled for next month, another TP in September 2016 and yet another TP in April 2018.

Don't have the jitters you will have a wonderful cruise. The TA I was on was the best cruise I have been on. So much to do on the ship if you wish to and lots of time to relax. The sea days are wonderful. I have many health issues too and can also be not so great on my feet at times. If it does get a little more rocky it doesn't last that long, hang on to the hand rails or your travel partner and enjoy!

I love sea days but I have to tell you I was bored on my TA. It's most likely because I was going solo, wasn't "into" working out at the time and didn't have anyone to talk to since our Roll Call wasn't very friendly (very unusual - it was Cunard, not X). I did meet some lovely people but they were all couples and I was the third wheel. I didn't want to tread on their together time.

I have some advice: download plenty of digital books or bring lots of paperbacks with you if you're Old School. I think I read 3 massive books and was really frustrated that I hadn't downloaded more ahead of time.

Join in as many of the activities as you can if you start to feel bored. Try the different dining venues and do things you may not ordinarily do at home. Take the time to just go out on the deck, despite how cold, and watch the sea for awhile.

Just GO and enjoy yourselves!

My husband and I are also scheduled for this TA. Check out the roll call. We will have fun!