When is your experience with a GTY cab in assigned?

seashell4274

It's been a while since I booked a Gty cabin. Lots sales recently with this option. Picked one for April a still no assignment at day 56. What is your recent experience?

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

Edited by seashell4274

We booked a balcony guarantee on the Miracle last summer, 6 weeks out from the sail date, and had our cabin number by a month out, which was very unexpected- we'd not expected to know till we got to the port!

I have no experience, but if I were Carnival ...

When the category sells out, then I know what rooms are left over for assignment. That could be months ahead for a high demand time, or a week ahead for a low-demand time.

Maybe keep a few cabins unassigned for cancellations.

I only booked a GTY room once, and that was back when they sent you paper documents, and just did it again, because the price was really good. Question - if they don't assign us the stateroom until the day of, what do we do with our luggage? Will they give us some kind of generic luggage tag in that case? Will we ever see our suitcases again? :D

I only booked a GTY room once, and that was back when they sent you paper documents, and just did it again, because the price was really good. Question - if they don't assign us the stateroom until the day of, what do we do with our luggage? Will they give us some kind of generic luggage tag in that case? Will we ever see our suitcases again? :D

The tags you'll have with your documents (that you can view and print on-line) willsay TBD. From there, the porters will have to verify cabin assignment from their embarkation list and place the appropriate tag on your bag. We've done this a couple of times when we did not receive our cabin assignment until we arrived at the port.

It's been a while since I booked a Gty cabin. Lots sales recently with this option. Picked one for April a still no assignment at day 56. What is your recent experience?

Like others have said, it seems to be a bit random as to when you will find out cabin assignment. We have had it given to us at the port twice, once about 45 days out and for our next cruise (19 days from now) we still have not received a cabin assignment even though all categories but suites are now sold out on this sailing.

I have been told by carnival that in some cases it depends on cabin holds for groups and travel agents that release at various dates leading up to the sailing that could add additional availability.

We always give the luggage to the porters. how do you print luggage tags if you don't know the cabin number

They say "TBD" in bold letters on them and have your booking confirmation number printed and a place to put your name/etc... I would show you one of our for our upcoming cruise, but the scanner is on the fritz. When you get to the port the porters will see the TBD and cross reference your booking number (on the tags you print) to the cruise lines embarkation list and place a tag on them with the correct cabin.

If you have FTTF the tags you print at home have that logo on them as well so no need to worry about the additional tags from the porter not reflecting that purchased service.

We did it once and did not like the result. Make SURE you can stand any cabin in the category you book.

Well, I guess you get the least desirable decks with a GTY.

Booked our first GTY for upcoming Sunshine cruise.

Fingers crossed:eek:

Edited by Vitamin_Sea

Not always true at all. We have had no issues, but expectation on our part was that we were not going to get the top end cabin(s) in the category selected (as you know, those go to those that pay extra to select). With that mindset, we have always been content and have had more money to spend onboard and in port:D!

Have a great cruise!! We really want to sail Sunshine someday (DW sailed her as Destiny once) and hope you post a review upon return!

We decided to roll the dice and booked 2 GTY for our cruise on the Triumph in May.

We upgraded from an OV to a Balcony GTY on our first cruise back in 2014 on the Conquest. We made the switch about a month out, got our assignment 3 weeks out, and the result was decent. We were in a balcony above the nightclub so we had that dulled noise until late in the night which wasn't ideal. However, I brought a travel fan and always have earplugs on me just in case so it didn't bother me much. I'm not sure I'd chance it again, but it gave us about $100 in OBC so I thought it was a good deal.