Room Service - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly?

Room service is great for breakfast on the balcony. We usually do that 2 or 3 times per cruise. It's also nice at night when you want a small dessert or a cheese plate or something before turning in. I personally wouldn't order lunch or dinner from it because there are much better options a short walk away.

That was me. What we did was order the spinach dip, which comes with chips and I asked if we could have some melted cheese on the side, which they happily supplied in a small bowl.

Oh okay, didn't know they could do that. Cheese is like crack for hubby and I. [emoji16] We'll have to do the same sometime!

• 1 month later...

Omg love spinach dip so will have to try it when we cruise next yr. hope the Jewel of the seas has it.

Any good desserts besides cookies. Could you ask for them to be warmed up? Lol

So is there just a surcharge for ordering after midnight? Not for any hot meals or particular foods?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We usually pre-order breakfast (door hanger) every day. It is especially nice to enjoy it on the balcony. Even if we are getting breakfast elsewhere, we order coffee and fruit plates or pastries. We call it our 1st breakfast! It totally spoils you!

We also make sure to have dollar bills for tips. We usually have very good service.

... So is there just a surcharge for ordering after midnight? Not for any hot meals or particular foods? ...

There is a $4 charge for any orders between midnight and 5am.

Any good desserts besides cookies. Could you ask for them to be warmed up? Lol

I've heard here on CC people have ordered cookies and milk for bed time from room service but can't remember if they were successful having them brought warm. Anyone know?

It was so exciting for me as a teenager too and I still have to order from room service every time I am on a cruise, even if I have already eaten. I mean it's FREE! Desserts are usually a safe bet. I know some may say it's wasteful, but I say live and let live and order a bunch of stuff! You only live once, right?

Can someone walk me through the logistics of preordering breakfast for the next day from the MDR for a suite? Will our hang tags be different, will it be on the TV menu, can we do it from the concierge lounge or should we just call the night before?

We're in the royal family suite on Explorer through Alaska early June and I kinda want to take all my meals on the balcony.

Can someone walk me through the logistics of preordering breakfast for the next day from the MDR for a suite? Will our hang tags be different, will it be on the TV menu, can we do it from the concierge lounge or should we just call the night before?

We're in the royal family suite on Explorer through Alaska early June and I kinda want to take all my meals on the balcony.

I am sure someone will chime in if this has changed (my last suite experience was about 3 years ago), but when we were in a suite you couldn't order breakfast the night before from the MDR. Had to be same day/morning.

We ordered it on Allure for our first morning specifying the half hour window...and it didn't show up in that time. We even waited another 10 minutes , but since we had an early morning excursion, we left and grabbed breakfast elsewhere. So from our experience, I'd call it "ugly"...but maybe we were a one-off.

My then 14YO son enjoyed nothing more than a late-night pizza or burger on the balcony reading a book and listening to the waves.... He is already talking about it for our next cruise in November...three years later!

Not to go off thread too much but what are pros and cons of having room service breakfast on the day of an excursion.

For us, we had to be out at the pier (our meeting spot) at 7:45am. With 2 kids, we thought this would be most efficient. But that only works if the breakfast arrives.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

Edited by LuCruise

I am sure someone will chime in if this has changed (my last suite experience was about 3 years ago), but when we were in a suite you couldn't order breakfast the night before from the MDR. Had to be same day/morning.

We've always called it in the night before with a requested time for delivery and never had a problem - always turned up right on time. This is also in the RFS on various ships.

Not to go off thread too much but what are pros and cons of having room service breakfast on the day of an excursion.

Quicker to eat, don't have to get up as early.

6 of us(3 rooms) ordered breakfast as we had an excursion that day.The other 2 rooms got theirs but ours arrived as we were leaving. We sent it back explaining the situation. They apologized and upon returning back to room found a dish of chocolate covered strawberries with an apology card. Otherwise we have no problems with room service except the temp. could be better.

I dont think Honey Stung Chicken is available anywhere on any Royal ship anymore. I know its still listed on the room service menu :confused: We were brought chicken tenders.

We had it last sept. I remember it was always in the windjammer on sailing day for lunch. I loved it but now only found it for room service and not as good as I remembered. I think it was still there on my Jan cruise.

For us, we had to be out at the pier (our meeting spot) at 7:45am. With 2 kids, we thought this would be most efficient. But that only works if the breakfast arrives.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

I kind of figure it can be a good thing. Like you said as long as the breakfast arrives.

We did lobster night in our GS this past week on Freedom. Our grandson was a little cranky for the DR that night so he and mom and dad joined us for dinner. I'd say it was great. He played while we ate. Everybody was happy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk