Coffee on the Escape

Nator72

Not sure what cabin you are in, but on sea days there is very early coffee and rolls on the Waterfront Cellars Wine Bar. Great place for an early morning beverage and snack. Same thing on Getaway only outside the Sunset bar. It was my early morning task to fetch for the DW

First cruise with NCL...can you describe the strength/quality of the buffet coffee? Comparable with?(Starbucks/Dunkin/Tim Hortons) Also, if anyone knows prices of speciality coffees? ...

NCL's doesn't use different suppliers for coffee on different ships, so I would generalize to say, subjectively speaking, that buffet coffee is just average & drinkable, definitely not "strong" - closer to Burger King, 7-11's regular brand or DD's non-premium coffee, pretty waterly (worst if dilluted with ice)

Around here, McD's coffee has improved over the years - actually, I find their oversea outlets tend to have better coffee (might be a local supplier) - not strong, but better than what DW called "coffee flavored water"

If they put less water into the giant pot while brewing it - you can get a "stronger" flavor, but most of the time, it is not - so, you end up with an average coffee.

Something like Starbuck's Via instant coffee is far better & a better deal than specialty coffee onboard, depending on specific blend, is priced like land-based coffee joints, easily $3 to $4 for a large cup + 18% gratuity.

It's BYO for us as we travel always with some instant ones in our hand luggage - add hot water, stir & enjoy out of the insulated SS tumbler.

French press coffee in specialty dining - now, that's a different story and of course, those in Haven can brag about their machine - for the buffet & MDR/OSH - set your expectations low & you will not be surprised :rolleyes:

NCL's doesn't use different suppliers for coffee on different ships, so I would generalize to say, subjectively speaking, that buffet coffee is just average & drinkable, definitely not "strong" - closer to Burger King, 7-11's regular brand or DD's non-premium coffee, pretty waterly (worst if dilluted with ice)

Around here, McD's coffee has improved over the years - actually, I find their oversea outlets tend to have better coffee (might be a local supplier) - not strong, but better than what DW called "coffee flavored water"

If they put less water into the giant pot while brewing it - you can get a "stronger" flavor, but most of the time, it is not - so, you end up with an average coffee.

Something like Starbuck's Via instant coffee is far better & a better deal than specialty coffee onboard, depending on specific blend, is priced like land-based coffee joints, easily $3 to $4 for a large cup + 18% gratuity.

It's BYO for us as we travel always with some instant ones in our hand luggage - add hot water, stir & enjoy out of the insulated SS tumbler.

French press coffee in specialty dining - now, that's a different story and of course, those in Haven can brag about their machine - for the buffet & MDR/OSH - set your expectations low & you will not be surprised :rolleyes:

Thanks so much for the description! I know coffee is subjective. My DH and I are dark coffee drinkers, so I assumed that we will frequent the specialty coffee bar. I agree McDonalds does a half decent coffee now.

Thank you so much for the detailed info! We sail on the Escape on 4/16. My kids were very excited to see the room service menu, since one morning we will be getting off the ship at 7 am and wanted something to eat fast or be able to take along. A carafe of coffee being a big bonus. One question I do have though is, are there any other milk options? My son is allergic to milk and I am lactose intolerant so we normally do almond or soy milk as a substitute. Any info on that would be appreciated. Thanks!

You can't take unpackaged food off of the ship.

I don't suppose a nespresso pod would fit in the cabin coffee maker? ... Wishful thinking I bet :rolleyes:

Nope ... unless NCL feel like upgrading some of the staterooms - insides & oceanviews don't get any coffee maker (except by request to Room Steward, subject to availability)

This is what we get in the balconies (and mini-suites) - 1 cup at a time

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150322_2141%20%281024x768%29.jpg

This is the filter/brand as used in 2015, our RS gave us extra regulars -

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/NCL%20Cruising%20-%20General/IMG150521_2006.jpg

Still used on some ships, I believed mostly the "smaller" Dawn/Jewel class ships ??

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Travel%20Gadgets/IMG_20150301CM.jpg

Now, this (minus the sweet) https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/2015%20NCL%20BA/IMG20150323_2107%20%281024x768%29.jpg

Always travel with this - in case of "caffeine" emergencies - add hot H2O (far better than what they serve on the plane's main cabin these days, LOL)

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64025118/Travel%20Gadgets/IMG_20150211A.jpg

• 1 month later...

On the Sky we did the room service option with Tea, Coffee and pastries delivered each morning. It really made the cruise for us. We tipped about $2 each morning to the steward who delivered it. Out of curiosity has anyone ever brought their own French Press with them? Going for a week on the Escape and the thought of weak coffee for a week doesn't sound so appealing.

Out of curiosity has anyone ever brought their own French Press with them? Going for a week on the Escape and the thought of weak coffee for a week doesn't sound so appealing.

I'd probably just buy coffee but having a way to get hot water from the coffee pot opens up options.

http://www.aerobie.com/product/aeropress/

If you want something more portable and I find easier to clean than a french press, this makes one strong cup of coffee. I heat up one coffee mug's worth of water and let it cool a bit from boiling. Coffee grounds in (I use Starbucks Expresso Roast), set on coffee mug, fill up slowly with the water, just enough room once some flows thru, quick stir, and immediately slowly press thru.

It's like manual expresso. They suggest less water, make an expresso shot, and then fill cup with hot water for a cafe americano but I send all water thru but without letting it sit more than the time it takes to stir and start pressing.

I do this on weekends since I'm the only coffee drinker and during the week drink at work, have never taken on a cruise. After the aperatus cools a bit so grounds not too hot if accidentally touch, unscrew the bottom and push out the grounds and the filter into the garbage and rinse and it's ready for next day. It's really quick way to make a good hot cup of coffee. And once you get the hang of it, there's really no dealing with coffee grounds, pressed easily into garbage. (a friend pulled plug out because didn't know about the unscrew and push method, that was messy)

I think as I've typed I've about convinced myself to take this thing with me and a coffee mug. If I make it a little strong I'll head to a bar for a Bailey's shot! Strong coffee put in mug and cooled for later iced coffee.

NCL uses Lavazza brand coffee. It is a good stuff and reputable Italian coffee brand. It is brand I regular use at home for cappuccino.

That said, the in-room coffee for the suites is Lavazza and a lower quality no-name brand in the other cabins.

Most of the buffet coffee and dinning room coffee is off a big percolator type machine and I find it ok, I think they make it a bit to much on the week side. On some and maybe all ships, not certain in the buffet there is usually one machine that grinds and brews each cut individually. That has good stuff.

The Atrium has a speciality coffee shop that does expresso, cappuccino, lattes etc. That costs a few dollars.

As for tipping, technically you have paid for all of that as part of the daily service charge that will be automatically added to your bill. If you get room service a dollar to two (as others have said) is not out of the ordinary.

Edited by em-sk

big coffee drinker here. We were on the Jewel a month or so ago. Like another stated: the buffet had two kinds of coffee machines, both kind of silver looking, they look similar but one has the beans on top (grinds and brews).

The regular machine IMO put out a really solid cup of Columbian. I put cream and sugar, and it had enough body to hold up and taste ok (not like hot tapwater).

The grind and brew machine puts out a smaller cup, maybe 4 ozs of dense rich sort of espresso/coffee hybrid. Very good quality, fresh tasting. I would get a cup or two of this every day for a good 'wake me up', and it's definitely comparable to a specialty brew that various lines typically charge for.

I always travel with my Tervis cup. it takes two cups at the grind and brew machines to fill it. I drink only freshly ground Starbucks dark roast at home and this gets me through a cruise!:D Later in the day I make one cup and fill with ice for a cold drink by the pool!