Taking wine on board

grayling

I understand, hubby and I can take one bottle of wine each on board. So, if they see one bottle of wine in my checked luggage, they will let it pass? How do they deal with boxed wine?

So, I could, but I know I shouldn't, put one bottle in my carry on and one in my checked suitcase? Going on Splender out of Miami.

Hi,

Not sure about the boxed wine. How many liters is it? There is a limit. If it is the allowed size just carry it on. The standard bottle, of course, should be no problem in carry on.

Also, I think you may have your luggage pulled aside if they notice liquor/wine packed inside of checked luggage. I believe people call it the "naughty" room...LOL. I imagine someone on this board will have an experienced answer.

I understand, hubby and I can take one bottle of wine each on board.

One bottle, no larger than 750ml

So, if they see one bottle of wine in my checked luggage, they will let it pass?

No. Bottle must be hand carried on. Bottles found in checked bags will be removed.

How do they deal with boxed wine?

Not allowed because:

1) It is not a bottle.

2) Boxed wine is typically larger than 750ml (usually 3 750ml bottles worth).

So, I could, but I know I shouldn't, put one bottle in my carry on and one in my checked suitcase?

No, because not allowed in checked suitcase.

Not sure why the need for a boxed wine if carrying it on versus checking in luggage. There are some really good screw top bottled wine that won't break the bank and are better than most boxed wines and many corked wines.

You can take boxed wine on board if it is in a 750 ml box. They are available, although typically boxed wine is 3-4 regular bottles. So even if there are 2 adults, you couldn't bring a 1500 ml bottle or box. Has to be 2 x 750 ml sizes.

What is meant on these boards by "in your carry-on" isn't necessarily in your carry-on bag(s) but the bottles need to be able to go through security with you. Good wine carriers holding 1-2 bottles are inexpensive and widely available.

If you are flying in and checking the wine in your luggage for the flight, be sure to pull it out before heading to the port.

It's two bottles per cabin not one per person. I usually take two bottles of champagne and order a few bottles of wine for the cabin.

I carry them on in a backpack and when you go through the scanner they send you over to secondary security so they can check and make sure the bottles haven't been opened and refilled with hard stuff.

I have also used rum runners for hard stuff without any issue. However, it wasn't worth the trouble, except for the Bailey's we like to have for AM coffee.

It's two bottles per cabin not one per person. I usually take two bottles of champagne and order a few bottles of wine for the cabin.

I carry them on in a backpack and when you go through the scanner they send you over to secondary security so they can check and make sure the bottles haven't been opened and refilled with hard stuff.

I have also used rum runners for hard stuff without any issue. However, it wasn't worth the trouble, except for the Bailey's we like to have for AM coffee.

I believe each person in the cabin over 21 may bring on a bottle of wine.

We flew in to Miami the day before our cruise. Stayed at a hotel the night before the cruise & there was no place within walking distance to buy wine.

I did take 3 - 500 ml boxes of wine in my carry-on bags. We went through VIP security line when there were very few people going through. They did take my carry-ons aside, opened them, & pulled out the boxed wine. He took it to another person who nodded her head & said it was OK. It was the correct amt. - equivalent of 2 750 ml bottles.

However, next year I think I will buy 2 750 ml bottles & wrap them really well in bubble wrap & heavy duty bag and hope they make it OK.

It's two bottles per cabin not one per person. I usually take two bottles of champagne and order a few bottles of wine for the cabin..

So is this true? I'm doubtful. My wife and I are staying in different cabins on an upcoming cruise (due to kids). This would mean that we could bring on 4 bottles. 2 in her cabin 2 in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

It's two bottles per cabin not one per person.

This is absolutely incorrect. The opposite is true. From Carnival's Liquor and Beverage Policy:

"At the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day only, guests (21 years of age and older) may bring one 750 ml bottle of sealed/unopened wine or champagne per person in their carry-on luggage."

Why would you come on here and "correct" with false information the people who already had it correct?:rolleyes: Get your facts straight before you correct people.

A warning to all who are planning on smuggling extra bottles of wine in your checked luggage: it is now being confiscated and not returned:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2318064

"All liquor, beer, other forms of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages outside of the exceptions referenced above are strictly prohibited in both carry-on and checked luggage and such items will be confiscated and discarded and no compensation will be provided."

" I think I will buy 2 750 ml bottles & wrap them really well in bubble wrap & heavy duty bag and hope they make it OK"

This is not necessary. you have to carry on the wine bottles. Ours was in a CVS plastic bag, no bubble wrap, no heavy duty bags.

A bit OT, but does anyone know if you can still purchase a 6 pack of SODA at the ports of call and carry on the ship? Used to be able to do that. :confused:

Why, yes I do.:D

"Purchasing Liquor During the Cruise

Ports of Call

All alcohol purchased in ports will be stored for safekeeping until the end of the voyage. The retained items will be available for collection in a designated lounge on the morning of debarkation.

A small quantity of non-alcoholic beverages (i.e., sparkling water, sodas, juice, and milk) packaged in cans or cartons may be brought onboard as well as Carnival branded bottled water previously purchased onboard. A small quantity is considered a maximum of 12 sealed, unopened cans/cartons of 12 ounces each or less per person."

So is this true? I'm doubtful. My wife and I are staying in different cabins on an upcoming cruise (due to kids). This would mean that we could bring on 4 bottles. 2 in her cabin 2 in mine.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

No you'd only be able to bring 2 bottles, unless one of your children is over 21.

We have brought 3 bottles in the past when SIL sailed with us. But DW and SIL are of the certain age when asked for IDs at a bar, they kiss the waiter/barkeep.:D

So, since I don't drink wine, could I bring on two 750ml bottles of Welch's Sparkling Grape Juice? In my carrry-on, of course...

no. you are not allowed to bring any bottles onboard except wine

so unless the grape juice is in a can... they won't allow it

no. you are not allowed to bring any bottles onboard except wine

so unless the grape juice is in a can... they won't allow it

Rats. Well, how about if I tell them it's'non-alcoholic' wine? Or tell them it's a wine 'starter kit'? Hate to think I'd have to resort to rum runners...

Rum runner's will make the "sparkling" go flat.

IMHO, it looks close enough to a champagne bottle, that they will probably let it through. On my trip last week, they didn't even look at the bottles and cans we were bringing on. Maybe go at a busy time when they want to keep the line moving, and don't want to bother with people that are within the limit with stuff that looks legitimate on the x-ray machine.

Edited by richmke

Rum runner's will make the "sparkling" go flat.

IMHO, it looks close enough to a champagne bottle, that they will probably let it through. On my trip last week, they didn't even look at the bottles and cans we were bringing on.

Well,we'll just see what happens. Just seems funny, "this" bottle of grape juice can go because it has some alcoholic content, but "that" bottle of grape juice cannot because it has no alcoholic content...

DH and I go through the security line together so I just pack both of our bottles of wine in my wheeled tote bag. It's never been a problem.

Because I carry it on (as the FAQ says to do) I don't mess with bubble wrap - but I do slip each bottle into a sock to keep them from banging into the other stuff in there.

We carry a small plastic corkscrew in my toiletry bag - got it from the grocery where I buy wine - have never been stopped at the cruise boarding scanner. :D If you forget one just ask your cabin steward you need to borrow one.