For all the "Maasdamers" out there

Keith Rita

<SNIP>

The Captain made a comment at the Mariners Lunch in May that there have been rumors of the Maasdam's demise but that she was going to be here for at least 2 more years.

One thing you can do if you are concerned about the temperature in the stateroom is request a fan for your stateroom prior to sailing.

Hope this helps.

THANK YOU for that. One of my beliefs is that anything mechanical will eventually break down and that often trouble comes in bunches. I am not inclined to be too swayed by one bad cruise without a string of them, stuff happens.

I have probably sailed the Maasdam for the last time but if she has more time ahead I'll be thankful.

Roy

I too was concerned re reports of Maasdam A/c issues and here to tell you that the requested fan for the stateroom solved the issue completely.

This was on a 50 day cruise last fall. I would sail her again in a heartbeat! We have never had such perfect service, and that included every dining venue.

We shall truly miss her. Hopefully one of her future cruises will align with our plans before her transfer south.

We were on the May 23rd 14 day Alaska sailing on the Maasdam. This was our second cruise on her, the first being a 21 day Fort Lauderdale to Rome in fall of 2013. Based on our experiences we would not hesitate to sail on the Maasdam. We didn't have any plumbing or A/C problems on either sailing. The last cruise was in an oceanview on Main deck aft and the first in a Veranda on Veranda deck midship. The crew was outstanding both times. Food is subjective but we enjoyed in the Lido, Dining Room and specialty restaurants.

The Captain made a comment at the Mariners Lunch in May that there have been rumors of the Maasdam's demise but that she was going to be here for at least 2 more years.

One thing you can do if you are concerned about the temperature in the stateroom is request a fan for your stateroom prior to sailing.

Hope this helps.

Just off Maasdam today, same 14 day Alaska voyage. Would go on Maasdam again in a second. Thought she was in excellent condition with very minor wear and tear. Did not hear of any mechanical issues, although they did come in to our and many other cabins (24 hour notice) to service the toilets. Great crew. Size of the ship was good, embarkation and disembarkation were very smooth, and no major logjams getting on or off in ports. The Sky deck (above Crow's Nest) was also one of my favorite places for the wide open views with no obstructions. I did hear some grousing about the food from more experienced passengers, but for the most part, I thought it was good. Biggest problem I encountered was that the comptrollers did not provide enough six board bingo cards for our voyage and they ran out of those during the second (of five) bingo sessions. That was a bummer but people still showed up for bingo. We even had perfect weather, with a tiny bit of rain only on one sea day and only one overcast port day. At our Mariners lunch, Captain Smit said don't believe the rumors, Maasdam will be around for a few more years. I would not hesitate to book her again and actually have my eye on a couple of Maasdam voyages next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Just off Maasdam today, same 14 day Alaska voyage. Would go on Maasdam again in a second. Thought she was in excellent condition with very minor wear and tear. Did not hear of any mechanical issues, although they did come in to our and many other cabins (24 hour notice) to service the toilets. Great crew. Size of the ship was good, embarkation and disembarkation were very smooth, and no major logjams getting on or off in ports. The Sky deck (above Crow's Nest) was also one of my favorite places for the wide open views with no obstructions. I did hear some grousing about the food from more experienced passengers, but for the most part, I thought it was good. Biggest problem I encountered was that the comptrollers did not provide enough six board bingo cards for our voyage and they ran out of those during the second (of five) bingo sessions. That was a bummer but people still showed up for bingo. We even had perfect weather, with a tiny bit of rain only on one sea day and only one overcast port day. At our Mariners lunch, Captain Smit said don't believe the rumors, Maasdam will be around for a few more years. I would not hesitate to book her again and actually have my eye on a couple of Maasdam voyages next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I agree it was quite a trip. I loved that the officers were open, accessible, and out and about. They really cared about what we thought about the voyage. We had some problems in our cabin but they got fixed.

I have really appreciate the comments made on this thread. I especially appreciated those posted by people who just returned from 14 day Alaska cruises since that is what we will be doing in August.

Thanks!

I really liked that they served a lot of Alaskan food on board we had wonderful fish in the dining room and for lunch in the Pinnacle they serve hamburgers with Beecher's cheese which is a local Seattle cheese. The last night they had selections from all four celebrity chefs. The pear dessert sounded the dullest but was the most delicious.

The bartenders are fun and funny.

I especially liked that they put rugs with the day of the week on them in the elevators it's helpful several of us commented that we'd like to have that at home but then would probably forget to change them.

I especially liked that they put rugs with the day of the week on them in the elevators it's helpful several of us commented that we'd like to have that at home but then would probably forget to change them.

This made me laugh! :D

Thanks for your comments about the food. My wife enjoys all types of fish. In fact, fish is her preference in meat dishes. I'll take a steak anytime! :p

• 5 weeks later...

I'm thinking of booking an Alaska cruise on the Maasdam for later this summer. I really appreciate this thread and all the recent comments. I have to admit that I'm kind of worried about mechanical problems because I had serious issues on the Veendam in 2014 and some issues on the Statendam last year. However, I so loved the 14 day Alaska cruise last year that I want to do it again. I do like the small ship experience. I'm booked on the Prinsendam next year. So, I welcome any comments from current and recent cruisers.

My only specific question so far is to ask if there's interactive TV on the Maasdam. Someone commented that some ships have interactive TV now.

Thanks!!

I'm thinking of booking an Alaska cruise on the Maasdam for later this summer. I really appreciate this thread and all the recent comments. I have to admit that I'm kind of worried about mechanical problems because I had serious issues on the Veendam in 2014 and some issues on the Statendam last year. However, I so loved the 14 day Alaska cruise last year that I want to do it again. I do like the small ship experience. I'm booked on the Prinsendam next year. So, I welcome any comments from current and recent cruisers.

My only specific question so far is to ask if there's interactive TV on the Maasdam. Someone commented that some ships have interactive TV now.

Thanks!!

The A/C had problems in our suite and others in our area but they were always good about fixing it.

The itinerary is great and amazingly beautiful we're glad we took the cruise as although we've been to Alaska multiple times it went to places we've never been to before.

I never turned the TV on so couldn't tell you.

The A/C had problems in our suite and others in our area but they were always good about fixing it.

The itinerary is great and amazingly beautiful we're glad we took the cruise as although we've been to Alaska multiple times it went to places we've never been to before.

Thanks for responding. I agree that this is a spectacular itinerary. I'd been to Alaska a couple time prior to last year's cruise, but this route to these more unusual ports is one of my favorites. I wasn't going to go again this year, but I think I just might have to! I'm glad they were able to fix your A/C.

What was the room number of your suite?

What was the room number of your suite?

We were right across from the Neptune lounge 020 but the problem was not suite specific many suites had the same issue but as I said they were excellent about fixing it each time it failed as they were with the plumbing problems.

We were right across from the Neptune lounge 020 but the problem was not suite specific many suites had the same issue but as I said they were excellent about fixing it each time it failed as they were with the plumbing problems.

Thank you for your reply.

Hope we will not have problems, if so will immediately report.

Although this was our first time on the Maasdam she felt familiar to us as our first HAL cruise was on her sister, the Ryndam. We were a bit concerned about her being an older ship, but for the most part she was in great shape. If you looked really closely there were minor blemishes (finish was worn on the bathtub for example) HAL was doing their usual continual maintenance sprucing up paint and varnish and continuing to do work on the A/C (although we didn't have any issues, we did get a notice one port day that the system would be off for a few hours.

We hope to get another chance to sail with her while she is still in the HAL fleet!

We are on the Maasdam in a few days . It will be our first HAL cruise and very special since we will be celebrating our 50th anniversary in a suite. Hopefully we won't have any of the problems mentioned. But, it's great to know that if a problem arises, they are prompt to respond.

We are on the Maasdam in a few days . It will be our first HAL cruise and very special since we will be celebrating our 50th anniversary in a suite. Hopefully we won't have any of the problems mentioned. But, it's great to know that if a problem arises, they are prompt to respond.

Great choice for your anniversary, congratulations BTW.

The Maasdam was our very first cruise in 2006 and we loved the girl and went 2 more times. First trip was in cabin 363.........right next to the door going out to the promenade deck.........can't forget that because it was VERY windy on our cruise out of Norfolk and that door would SLAM yes very loudly...each time someone came in or went out. They finally fixed in after a few days and then we realized we were under the pastry kitchen where the cook started each day at 5AM............Despite all that it was our first cruise and caused a serious addiction to more cruises both on the Maasdam and her sister ships and now over 25 cruises behind us

Have Fun and when you walk around the promenade you will notice that the cabins next to the exterior doors have not been converted into Cabanas.........and that is where we stayed.

You will have a wonderful time Yasmin in the Neptune lounge is amazing. Vince and Cristian in the martini bar are excellent bartenders.The piano player, also in the martini bar is great. Because it's a small ship the officers and cruise staff really mingle with the passengers. You will have an amazing time.

Captain Pattie's on the Spit in Homer has great food. The scenery on this itinerary is spectacular.

You will have a wonderful time Yasmin in the Neptune lounge is amazing. Vince and Cristian in the martini bar are excellent bartenders.The piano player, also in the martini bar is great. Because it's a small ship the officers and cruise staff really mingle with the passengers. You will have an amazing time.

Captain Pattie's on the Spit in Homer has great food. The scenery on this itinerary is spectacular.

Thanks for all the wonderful information. People on the HAL board are so helpful. :)

Captain Pattie's in Homer was my best meal of the entire trip last year.

I've sailed on the Maasdam twice, and both times were great. I just booked a 22 night South Pacific cruise from NZ in November 2017 on the Maasdam for 2 reasons-I love the small 1200 passenger ships, and it's a great itinerary! I can't wait-it should be the best cruise I have ever taken! With any luck, I will end up on the promenade deck-and if not, well, the ship is so small, it won't take me long to get outside to the sun! I have very fond memories of that ship-the most important of which is meeting a couple who live near Vancouver who have become super friends of mine. I've now visited them three times-the last time was in May when we did a month long road trip of the Southwest and the Canadian Rockies! You do meet the best people on cruises! Thanks, Gerry and Jillian!

Captain Pattie's in Homer was my best meal of the entire trip last year.

Our best meal ashore for sure it compared favorably to the Bamboo Room in Haines. The Halibut was fresh and delicious. I asked if there was really a Captain Pattie and our waitress said, "Well the woman who owns it is named Pattie and she runs a tight ship so yes."

The best meals on board were in the Pinnacle especially their lunches. Their cheeseburger used cheese from a cheese company in Seattle other things were good as well. Breakfasts were good too and I like that they had breakfasts from different countries: American, English, Dutch, Japanese, and I think Norwegian it was a Scandinavian country anyway.

The Le Cirque dinner was delicious other dinner in the Pinnacle were good too. Canaletto's food was very tasty.

Edited by Kentskie