Cabin service only once a day??

jealdaka

Wow, where did that pic come from?

Posted the question on John Heald's FB page. I plainly stated that people are reporting stewards telling them only one can be chosen. Said it was unfair to both passengers and stewards to put them in this position and the form needed to be updated ASAP. Someone replied with a picture of the new form.

Because some people don't want to have an unpleasant confrontation with a steward while on vacation -- an overworked, underpaid steward who also has access to their room, their toothbrush, and all their belongings. :confused:
. Thank you thank you thank you! Anyone who is in denial and believes that an employee would NEVER retaliate is living in LaLa Land. I think there was even a tv show series about this same subject, using hidden cameras! Even coworkers putting pee in the coffee machine; sometimes disgruntled people are capable of doing all kinds of things , I especially agree about the toothbrush, since the toilet is only a couple feet away ! Edited by CruisinHelloKitty

yes

Seriously? You think that Carnival employs the type of steward that would retaliate for a perceived slight? Maybe it's a good thing you are branching out in your cruises.

These stewards are from all over and they want to keep their jobs. Maybe I'm naive by thinking that the majority of workers wouldn't do things like that.

However, just to mention, if you honestly think that way then be prepared because I am pretty sure every line hires the same type of people from different countries. It could happen on any cruise line.

Carnival employs a very large number of people. Like in any large organization, not all employees are the best. No employer does a perfect job in hiring. Some employees don't last very long.

Even if the steward would never retaliate, I would feel bad calling him a liar because I don't know how many cabins he was required to service or how many hours he worked.

Katie you are so nice to provide an excellent answer to a silly question. I learned right away that many people on here just want to argue, no matter what ! You could tell them what your own name is and they would still find something to argue or nit pick about..

Sad but true

Seriously? You think that Carnival employs the type of steward that would retaliate for a perceived slight? Maybe it's a good thing you are branching out in your cruises.

These stewards are from all over and they want to keep their jobs. Maybe I'm naive by thinking that the majority of workers wouldn't do things like that.

However, just to mention, if you honestly think that way then be prepared because I am pretty sure every line hires the same type of people from different countries. It could happen on any cruise line.

Check out the question initially asked ! "Seriously "? A silly question gets a silly answer. Or do you think MCFT or whatever was seriously asking Katie about Carnivals hiring process; if MCFT is "seriously" seeking such information, the question needs to be directed to Carnival, not Katie.. Edited by CruisinHelloKitty

Umm, guess you missed the story from hal where one tried to kill a lady he said had insulted him.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I totally agree that the majority wouldn't, but that doesn't mean no one would. If a steward is misstating policy in order to reduce his workload, either he's not the best employee or he's having a really bad week.

Umm, guess you missed the story from hal where one tried to kill a lady he said had insulted him.

yes, and the one who exposed himself to an underage female passenger .. Heck, we have government officials doing dirty deeds, why would a cabin steward be immune ?

Where do you think the old adage came from about restaurant workers "spitting" in people's food comes from ? You don't know somebody's morals just from looking at an application they fill out! Of course they ain't gonna put that on the application if they have any hostility against Americans.

Changing to once a day vs 2 is really no big deal to us, as we keep our room clean anyways. But i do understand we cruisers get set in our ways and we have always got 2 cleaning a day, so we want that to continue. As for us we will continue to cruise, but i agree carnival is messing over the passangers by doing this. As for what they make on our last crusie i did talk to the steward quite a bit and asked him about his pay. He said they never know what they are going to get as carnival does not tell them who canceled gratuity they just tell them out of 20+ rooms 7 canceled gratuity, this is what is remaining. I always cancel my gratuity on day 1, and inform the dinning staff and room stewart of this. I also give them 1/2 of what the gratuity would be the 2nd day, and tell them i will give them the remainder at the end of the cruise. Plus extra if everything goes well. They always tell me great cash carnival dont get their hands on my money.

Just what i do, i know people will disagree, but works fo rme.

FYI, just back from the Pride. Our steward asked us to fill out the form, and had no issue at all with us asking for twice-daily service. So at the very least, the Pride appears to be following the policy as stated by John H.

I was in a three person room with a trundle bed. Room service once a day meant that they did not put the trundle bed away at all. It was out in the middle of the inside room we were sharing all day.

Not having service more than once a day many that we (three girls one a teenager) were reusing towels which sometimes were not dry after returning from Port and wanting to get ready for dinner.

Food for thought: Isn't the "recommended tipping" on a per person basis? If so, the CS is getting 50% more tips with a 3rd person in the room (or 100% more with 4 people). Seems like having the extra people in the room would justify the twice a day service (when it is most needed).

FYI, just back from the Pride. Our steward asked us to fill out the form, and had no issue at all with us asking for twice-daily service. So at the very least, the Pride appears to be following the policy as stated by John H.

You mean your steward was.

Just off the Dream last Sunday- 3 days ago. Steward introduced himself (Jono, Cove balcony 2248) and asked me if I wanted 'morning or evening'. I said I'd like both. He replied "Miss, you may not know, I used to have 26 cabins to take care of and now I have 35. I cannot do everyone." As I commiserated with him about the amount of work, he said this would probably be his last contract with Carnival...

Continued to press him a bit for 'both' and he said OK- grudgingly. Did get service 2X a day but didn't get ice a couple of days. Sigh.

So you CAN get service but expect to be 'shamed' into it.

I don't think John Heald knows about that part...

It was obvious which cabins had 'morning only' service at about 6pm- those cabins got the next day's Funtimes put in their mailboxes. Looked like 35-40% had chosen 'morning only'.

Bummer!!! I have 2252 this week. I really want both! I like dry towels in the evening.

Edited by luvsviola

Food for thought: Isn't the "recommended tipping" on a per person basis? If so, the CS is getting 50% more tips with a 3rd person in the room (or 100% more with 4 people). Seems like having the extra people in the room would justify the twice a day service (when it is most needed).

As someone who usually cruises with five people in the room, I totally agree. I would have no problem with once/day service on a cruise without the kids. Fewer towels, no upper beds or trundles, less trash, and we're tipping $7.80/day toward stateroom services instead of $19.50/day.

The problem with your analogy is that tipping is solely at the discretion of the customer, as are the service expectations. This is according to Carnival's own literature. Carnival created this situation, not the customer.

Carnival's model is to let the guest expect and tip whatever they want to. I don't know what your expectations are, and frankly, don't care. Each person has to decide these issues on his or her own.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1123

Exactly!!

I totally agree that the majority wouldn't, but that doesn't mean no one would. If a steward is misstating policy in order to reduce his workload, either he's not the best employee or he's having a really bad week.

The real question is if they are misstating policy in order to reduce workload or because they truly think that you have to make a choice. That is what gets me. If Carnival is not training/stating policy clearly to stewards then everyone is losing!

But, I have to say that I would probably report any steward that continually tried to complain about how many cabins they have to clean. I am not their employer and they need to take those concerns to Carnival, not me. If you are constantly telling me how hard you are worked, then you might be in the wrong job. Stewards (like servers) should not be complaining about management to customers. Period!

Looks like they have made the forms with both now and they are working their way to the ships.

So much for those who like to think that once a day is policy! Guess not.

That is NOT the new form on the Dream, but they do have a new one. It does NOT have an option for BOTH. It asks to chooses the best TIME to tidy up, and has a choice of morning refresher or evening turndown. And now only has 2 sections. They dropped the green part from the new one.

That is NOT the new form on the Dream, but they do have a new one. It does NOT have an option for BOTH. It asks to chooses the best TIME to tidy up, and has a choice of morning refresher or evening turndown. And now only has 2 sections. They dropped the green part from the new one.

We will be on the Dream in May and very interested to see what they hand us. We have always had twice daily service and plan to get it this time.

Looks like they have made the forms with both now and they are working their way to the ships.

So much for those who like to think that once a day is policy! Guess not.

Great news if this is indeed the form handed to guests going forward.

Edited by LMaxwell

I was just told that Carnival only does cabin service once a day now in the morning. Does that mean there is no turn down service at night? What about doing the upper bunks at night?

You were told wrong and if a cabin steward says otherwise, I would call Guest Services and ask to speak with the Housekeeping Manager.