Lawn club alcoves worth it?

jacksprat36

Hello all, I wanted to put out to experienced cruisers whether grabbing an alcove for a sea day is worth it. I know that my husband will want to read in a chair most of the day, more out of sun than in sun. I and my daughter like to move around a bit. I am thinking that we need a 'base' as it unlikely that we can keep chairs on the deck all day.

Also, what type of chairs do they provide are they set up so that you see the ocean.

Much thanks for any comments!

Hello all, I wanted to put out to experienced cruisers whether grabbing an alcove for a sea day is worth it. I know that my husband will want to read in a chair most of the day, more out of sun than in sun. I and my daughter like to move around a bit. I am thinking that we need a 'base' as it unlikely that we can keep chairs on the deck all day.

Also, what type of chairs do they provide are they set up so that you see the ocean.

My partner and I had one last year on Reflection and we regretted that we only did it for one sea day. In the future I think we're going to get it for multiple days as it's a very nice private area to escape to.

I have booked multiple days for our upcoming cruise on the Reflection in August (8/11 days). I have never tried them previously, but know that I can cancel once on board. I figured, if we don't end up making good use or do not enjoy them, I will just cancel and receive a refund. I also understand that, although I booked full price to reserve, once onboard I can go to customer service and get a multiple day credit. I love the idea that we have a central meeting place. I have read that it could get very hot during port days, but at least there would be shade.

Personally this is not something that would interest me at all. We would never spend all day in one place, that being said, they were sold out for the whole week on the Reflection last week.

We met some people who were disappointed because they thought they could book on board. Many had been booked for the whole week.

We booked one on the Silhouette last year for a sea day to get some shade. But it turned out to be so windy up there that we couldn't keep it open....the wind finally calmed down in the early evening. But we didn't need it by then. I don't think I'd bother again.

Had our first alcove a few weeks ago...the weather conditions didn't help. It was very windy going through the Bahamas. We enjoyed it for a couple of hours, but it was pricy on that basis. I'd still consider it for a future cruise under different conditions.

Personally this is not something that would interest me at all. We would never spend all day in one place, that being said, they were sold out for the whole week on the Reflection last week.

We met some people who were disappointed because they thought they could book on board. Many had been booked for the whole week.

That's the whole point! We shared one with another couple and it was fabulous!! You are away from the madhouse on the pool deck, you don't have to fight for loungers, you can go do other stuff and came back and it is sitting there waiting for you:) It is reserved from 9 to 9 and in the evenings they sometimes have Jazz concerts on the lawn, games during the day. I know some people that split the cost with 3 couples as no one spent the whole day there and it was a great place to meet up.

We loved the one on our holiday cruise, when we had six of us. It was perfect for the week as a place to have as home base when the ship was jam packed.

In February, on the Eastern Caribbean route, we split the cost with friends, but the wind was awful and we didn't get to use the cover. The second week, DH and I rented it for the two sea days since we had plenty of OBC. We liked having the place to veg out and the phone to call for refreshments.

We are sailing on Silhouette again in December 2017 with all the "kids". We booked Oceanview rooms and plan to get an Alcove for by the week. It is the same price as booking verandas would be, but I think we will use it more.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

That's the whole point! We shared one with another couple and it was fabulous!! You are away from the madhouse on the pool deck, you don't have to fight for loungers, you can go do other stuff and came back and it is sitting there waiting for you:) It is reserved from 9 to 9 and in the evenings they sometimes have Jazz concerts on the lawn, games during the day. I know some people that split the cost with 3 couples as no one spent the whole day there and it was a great place to meet up.

I do understand that for some they are a worthwhile rental. Just not my thing. I might have a different opinion if I was traveling with with 2 other couples and would be slitting the bill.

The point I was trying to make was that those interested might not want to wait to make arrangements was they were all booked everyday on our trip.

I do understand that for some they are a worthwhile rental. Just not my thing. I might have a different opinion if I was traveling with with 2 other couples and would be slitting the bill.

The point I was trying to make was that those interested might not want to wait to make arrangements was they were all booked everyday on our trip.

What is the pre sailing price for a day? We have seen them and one or two were being used on a sea day and did not go by on a port day.

I can see the wind being a factor as there is less protection up there as you sail.

my husband will want to read in a chair most of the day, more out of sun than in sun. I and my daughter like to move around a bit. I am thinking that we need a 'base' as it unlikely that we can keep chairs on the deck all day.

There is a sort of single daybed/chaise lounge type chair that can seat one person reclining or 2-3 people sitting up, and 2 padded wicker chairs. There is a canopy, but depending on the direction of the sun, the time of day, and which side of the lawn you are on, you may not be completely shaded, especially the 2 chairs. All seating is set up facing inward, so your most direct view is of the lawn, with the walkway and deck railing behind you. Also, if it's extremely windy the canopy will have to be retracted so you'd be in full sun then.

I love the idea that we have a central meeting place. I have read that it could get very hot during port days, but at least there would be shade.

See above; you may or may not have shade, depending on the wind and whether or not the canopy can be up.

That said, we love them. As others have mentioned, it provides guaranteed seating away from the chaos of the pool deck, good people watching, usually a choice of sun or shade, and a good meeting place if we share it with friends. You can come and go as you please, as it's yours for the day.

How do you decide which one you get? First come first served? Are some better than others?

They are typically assigned. You may be able to talk to the attendant and express a preference, especially for any future days you have rented one.

We have seen them and one or two were being used on a sea day and did not go by on a port day.

Keep in mind that just because they are unoccupied does not mean they are not rented. We once had a large group that rented 3, but everyone congregated in 2 of them. Sometimes people rent one and don't show up til later in the day, or they come and go and just didn't happen to be there when you went by.

They are typically assigned. You may be able to talk to the attendant and express a preference, especially for any future days you have rented one.

Keep in mind that just because they are unoccupied does not mean they are not rented. We once had a large group that rented 3, but everyone congregated in 2 of them. Sometimes people rent one and don't show up til later in the day, or they come and go and just didn't happen to be there when you went by.

For sure they could be rented and not occupied when we walked by. Do you know the pre sailing booking cost?

We have done the alcoves on Silhouette and Reflection. I'm not sure what ship you are sailing on, however I like the set up on Silhouette better because there are two less alcoves. On Silhouette there are a total of 8 and on Reflection there were 10 which made it feel more crowded. Below are a few photos I took on Silhouette. They are $99 on port days and $149 for sea days if you book them ahead of time. However, a friend of mine was able to get one for $79 on a port day when they had a last minute cancellation.

10838125_10105548362983025_87338260859679478_o.jpg

10911228_10105548361795405_6284703823589531837_o.jpg

885542_10105548362543905_2269206144712922457_o.jpg

10714421_10105548249879685_7014058615957464188_o.jpg

The Alcoves are worth it! We made the mistake of waiting too long on our upcoming cruise to book it for all of the sea days and were only able to book for one sea day and one port day-Puerto Rico- worth it as we do not arrive until after 3PM and we will not disembark. Have seen PR many times and will stay on board and enjoy the ship.

You do not have to run around finding a chair-we like the shade and on all of our cruises, only one day (part of it) the awning wasn't used. Too much sun is our "enemy".

Enjoy your cruise and book the alcove- if you wait- it will be too late.

My husband and I and another couple reserved (ahead of time through our TA) an Alcove for the first and last sea day aboard the Reflection in late January. All were booked both days. We tried to reserve one for another sea day (ahead of time) but they were all booked. The first day was too windy to use the canopy so we didn't spend much time up there. The second day we enjoyed it although the seating is not very comfortable especially if you are not sitting in one of the chairs. Even with the canopy up some of the seating will get a lot of sun. There is not seating to accommodate more than 4 people at once. A chaise lounge would have been nice. Having said all this we are traveling with the same couple next September and may reserve one again. We mostly enjoyed time in the Solarium!

I echo the comments from Waterbug and Prim8keeper, we have rented them both on Silhouette and Reflection and I too prefer the ones on Silhouette but both are great.

The best plan regarding location is to check them prior to 8:00am. On the Reflection we learned they put the name tags out the night before so we waited for the Alcove Butler to arrive, I think around 8:00 to 9:00 am. As soon as he gets there you can ask to change. It has worked for us a couple of times but I imagine the folks booking for a week pretty much get the choice. Worst spots are on the ends because you have more foot traffic.