Seeing Florence and Pisa with Alessandro Cammilli

The best way to see Florence and Pisa is with Alessandro Cammilli. He is not a guide but will taylor your tour to fit your needs. We did not want a guided tour on our recent Med cruise but wanted to see Florence and Pisa on our own. Our ship, The Grand Princess did not offer this - only Florence on your Own.

Alessandro picked us up around 8:30 a.m. at the pier in Livorno. He drove us to Florence in his comfortable "cute" green car which carries 2 couples comfortably. He was charming, handsome and witty and filled us with interesting conversation as we made our way to Florence. He took us up to the top of a hill for a photogenic view of Florence. Wow!

After that, he drove us into Florence and let us off very near the Ponte Vecchia Bridge. He provided a nice map with a "walking tour" of Florence marked off for us. The tour took us past all the major attractions and even marked off some very delightful modestly priced restaurants for lunch. Before he left us, he provided a cell phone to get in touch with him in case there was a problem. Nice touch.

Our tour ended at The Accademia where we saw "The David." Allesandro had even made reservations in advance for us in order to avoid the lines. After we departed "The Accademia", Alessandro was waiting around the corner for us in his car. Oh boy - no waiting or walking to find the bus.

We then drove to Pisa. Last time we went to Florence, we had to forgo seeing the "Leaning Tower" because the ship didn't offer both unless you wanted to go on a guided tour. This trip, I wasn't about to miss Pisa and it really was worthwhile. While we were viewing The Tower, Alessandro bought us some Chianti, a product of the region, and presented it to us as a gift.

We arrived back at the ship at least an hour before sailaway.

Now, if you want Alessandro to go through the streets of Florence and Pisa with you, he will do that and will provide commentary on what you are seeing. Its all up to you.

His prices were far better than the cruiseline's prices.

To inquire about his services, email him at

alecamma@hotmail.com

That was a great review of your day with Alessandro! I had considered using his services on our Livorno day, but then decided to do the train to Florence and Pisa...until a train strike was announced for that day (which we found out about 3 weeks prior to our trip)...so took Celebrity's Florence on Your Own Bus. It was a good alternative (more convenient but also more expensive than the train) ... interesting commentary from the guide on the way there and back. I had made a reservation for the Accademia in advance which is a must if you want to get in to see David, but had to miss Pisa because the only trip Celebrity did to both Florence and Pisa was a fully guided tour. Will have to give Alessandro a try next time!

• 1 month later...
The best way to see Florence and Pisa is with Alessandro Cammilli. He is not a guide but will taylor your tour to fit your needs. We did not want a guided tour on our recent Med cruise but wanted to see Florence and Pisa on our own. Our ship, The Grand Princess did not offer this - only Florence on your Own.

Alessandro picked us up around 8:30 a.m. at the pier in Livorno. He drove us to Florence in his comfortable "cute" green car which carries 2 couples comfortably. He was charming, handsome and witty and filled us with interesting conversation as we made our way to Florence. He took us up to the top of a hill for a photogenic view of Florence. Wow!

After that, he drove us into Florence and let us off very near the Ponte Vecchia Bridge. He provided a nice map with a "walking tour" of Florence marked off for us. The tour took us past all the major attractions and even marked off some very delightful modestly priced restaurants for lunch. Before he left us, he provided a cell phone to get in touch with him in case there was a problem. Nice touch.

Our tour ended at The Accademia where we saw "The David." Allesandro had even made reservations in advance for us in order to avoid the lines. After we departed "The Accademia", Alessandro was waiting around the corner for us in his car. Oh boy - no waiting or walking to find the bus.

We then drove to Pisa. Last time we went to Florence, we had to forgo seeing the "Leaning Tower" because the ship didn't offer both unless you wanted to go on a guided tour. This trip, I wasn't about to miss Pisa and it really was worthwhile. While we were viewing The Tower, Alessandro bought us some Chianti, a product of the region, and presented it to us as a gift.

We arrived back at the ship at least an hour before sailaway.

Now, if you want Alessandro to go through the streets of Florence and Pisa with you, he will do that and will provide commentary on what you are seeing. Its all up to you.

His prices were far better than the cruiseline's prices.

To inquire about his services, email him at

alecamma@hotmail.com

Thank you for this wonderful review ! - I have been searching for a "driver" rather than a "guide" to meet us at the ship - take us to Pisa where we can do "the tourist thing" and climb the tower - then be able wonder around on our own - and then be taken to Florence to see the

"highlights" and do some shopping.

How far in advance did you find you had to make your arrangements ?

Would you recommend we go to Pisa first - then to Florence ?

Other comments, suggestions ???

THANKS !!

Carol and Alan

NCL Skyward - Caribbean -November 1979

Windjammer Fantome - Caribbean – June 1988

(The Fantome was lost at sea - Hurricane Mitch - October 1998)

Ocean Princess - Caribbean - October 1991

Dawn Princess - Mexican Riviera - September 1996

Carnival Holiday - Baja - June 1998

Blue Lagoon - Mystic Princess - South Pacific - May 2000

Dawn Princess - Tahiti/Hawaii - October 2002

Dawn Princess - Caribbean -January 2004

RCI Monarch of the Seas - Baja - November 2004

Island Princess - Hawaii - January 2005

Carnival Spirit - Mexican Riviera - February 2006

Carnival Liberty - Mediterranean - October 2006

Glad you liked my review.

More importantly - Book Alessandro NOW! No need to wait or you might find he is already reserved. No deposit needed as you pay in Euros at the end of the tour.

As for your agenda, we did Florence first as his detailed tour map puts you in the right place at the right time for the good and economical lunch spots and then on to the Accademia last. Don't miss David! Alessandro will make a reservation for you.

However, I'm sure you could do it the opposite way - I would ask Alessandro for his recommendation. Traffic could be a factor.

That was a great review of your day with Alessandro! I had considered using his services on our Livorno day, but then decided to do the train to Florence and Pisa...until a train strike was announced for that day (which we found out about 3 weeks prior to our trip)...so took Celebrity's Florence on Your Own Bus. It was a good alternative (more convenient but also more expensive than the train) ... interesting commentary from the guide on the way there and back. I had made a reservation for the Accademia in advance which is a must if you want to get in to see David, but had to miss Pisa because the only trip Celebrity did to both Florence and Pisa was a fully guided tour. Will have to give Alessandro a try next time!

How do I make a reservation to see Davis?

Archived