Venice transfers

chefestelle

This is sort of like the thread about taxis to the airport but mine is a request for more general transfer information. Anything you can tell me about booking a taxi from a hotel, fitting luggage onto the alilaguna or vaporetto, and how far you have to haul too much luggage from the people mover will help me tremendously to decide how to go. I've read Rick Steves but he's mostly focused on the visit rather than the transit in the Venice chapter. Also, do the water taxis take credit or do I have to be sure to get euros first?

We arrive at 7:30 a.m., embark the next day, arrive back at 7 a.m. And fly out at 10 the next day. I'm going to do a little research on alilaguna and vaporetto schedules but real insights will be much appreciated.

But first, an amusing story about my lovely TA trying to arrange transfers in advance. I had asked her to look into it because I will be coming off a business trip onto a twelve night cruise and hauling way more luggage than I would have otherwise. We arrive in Venice at 7:30 a.m. after an overnight flight ending a trip that started at 10 a.m. So picture tired, stinky and probably just a bit grumpy.

My own research revealed the alilaguna that takes over an hour but would deposit us right at San Marco. Our hotel is a brief walk on the other side of the square. It's cheap, it's a pretty trip (so I'm told) but it may not be running that early. And evidently it gets really crowded.

Option two is a water taxi which I read was €100 each way. I might spring that coming and going but not to and from the port.

What did the TA come up with? Hahahah. Private transfers. I love my TA but I really don't need to be pampered that much.

The first fee she found was for a private transfer airport to San Marco then San Marco to the airport at the end for €242. It's unclear whether this is each or total. It's higher than the water taxi, either way!

The second version provided meet service at the airport, transfer directly to the hotel (presumably requiring hauling service), transfer and haulage to the port and then all that back the other way for...$648 per person!!! ROFL!

So please, advise away!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by chefestelle

Have you seen this site? It gives just about all the transportation options and details (see Transportation section), also a special section for cruise passengers on getting to/from the port (Venice for Cruisers section):

http://europeforvisitors.com/venice/

Most hotels are not accessible to regular taxis except for a few on Piazzale Roma.

FYI: Since you mentioned that you would have more luggage than usual ...

Water taxi is the more expensive option but involves the least hassle.

For ease plus budget considerations, I prefer the Alilaguna. Once in Venice, you can use the vaporetto if you desire.

The vaporetto (water bus) gets very crowded (more crowded than the Alilaguna, in my experience) and there is very little space to store luggage. I would not recommend the vaporetto if you have lots of luggage (more than one piece of rolling luggage) - the Alilaguna would be a much better option & there is more space for luggage. We took the Alilaguna from the dock near Marco Polo airport on one of our visits - the orange line (linea arancio) will drop you off at San Marco and you would have just the short walk to your hotel.

http://www.alilaguna.it/en/linea-arancio

Edited by dogs4fun

Thank you. The site cruisemom linked has the schedules too. Very helpful! I wondered about space on alilaguna because I'd heard the vaporetto were crowded. I'm almost certain I'll take a water taxi back because not only will we have the luggage we brought, but I suspect more from the trip!

I will definitely have to look at this for the ride back to the airport as I sure don't want to miss my flight! Thanks for the link. I've looked at alilaguna prices etc but missed the shared water taxi tab somehow.

Arriving tired from an overnight flight you do not want to spend 90 minutes on alilaguna. Take a water taxi to your hotel. You do not need to pre book. At the desk in the arrivals hall approach any one else there and ask if they wish to share. This is standard procedure and cuts your cost in half.

From your hotel to the port the next day is 2 stops on tha alilaguna blue line.

Or another option-change your hotel to the Plaza de Roma area so that you can take a land taxi to the hotel from the airport.