Picture This

Going on Allure this summer. I suspect my wife would very much like to get some family portraits done. I noticed that there is a Picture This portrait studio. Curious if anyone has used it, costs, etc.. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I've been on the Oasis and the Allure and have never seen it, but we don't usually get our picture taken, you can take formal pictures on the ship though, sometimes outside the dining room

Edited by hollon

I've been on the Oasis and the Allure and have never seen it

It's kind of hiding and easy to miss if not looking for it. The small little shop is found on Deck 8 in Central Park, adjacent to the Park Café (but not obviously so; you've got to walk on the path around some greenery to reach the door).

On board Oasis, DW and I walked in, looked at the prices, and promptly walked right back out. We stuck to the standard photo packages rather than the specialized studio photography and private/custom packages that Picture This was offering.

Edited by moopetguy

• 4 months later...

We just got back from Explorer of the Seas to Alaska where we took photos with "Picture This" photographer Margarita. The studio was located on Deck 13 between the basketball/soccer court and the FlowRider. I believe this used to be the multi-sport simulator that still appears on Deck 13 signage.

The location is relevant because we opted to take a photo with 13 of us (8 adults, 5 boys ranging from 18mos-12yrs) in our formal dining wear at 5PM (dinner seating at 5:30PM). It was an at-sea day, winds were strong and there were issues with walking, hair, makeup.

Session went fine, with one boy needing some coaxing after waking up from a nap, but we eventually got some good images and got out to dinner. Margarita was very accommodating and patient with the large group. Next morning my mom, wife, and sisters-in-law went down to review the images and talk about price.

As a present to my mom, we split the $550 for the 5-images on USB stick (a RCI-branded silver-plated with leather strap USB stick, but still a USB stick) and Margarita "threw in" 2 extra images.

I notice there *wasn't* a photography release on the stick, so I need to track that down as some photos printers are sticklers for such things. Although I do have a release for the "all photos" package I bought directly from RCI on-board photographers, and that would probably suffice.

Anyways, was it worth it? Enh... we paid $300 for a much longer but more casual session with my wife's family in a local park (6 adults, 4 boys) where we got over 100 great images. Not a "studio" experience, but honestly the on-ship studio was just black drapings covering the walls, some stools, nice lights, and fancy camera and computer.

On the other hand, trying to gather all 13 of us in one room, dressed nicely, is a pretty rare occasion. So I guess for that, it's not bad.

Oh, so I often visited the photo kiosks on Deck 3 to check the "all photos" packages I had paid for ($50 cheaper if purchased within first 3 days), and the photographers/staffers there tried to sign me up for a "Picture This" portrait session many times. I was happy to tell them I'd already had one.

(BTW the "all photos" package is only for 1 cabin. We had 13 people spread across 4 cabins, but the system somehow let me lump in photos of my mom & dad in adjoining cabin, and a few of my brother's family (wife + 2 boys), even when we weren't in the photos with them. We had to jump into photos w/ my other brother and to get them added. There's also PhotoFinder that sometimes lets you add "missing" photos to your collection.)

• 9 months later...

As others have said the 'picture this' photos range from 5 digital pictures at 500. All the way up to 1900. We did it, not realizing how much it was because we got a 'free' photo session as part of a grand suite. We bought the digital pictures for 500. I had no problems getting them printed. They are black and white photos, if that's what you want. They came out beautiful; however, it was expensive. But once we saw them we wanted them because we don't get too many family photos dressed up. We also did it on formal night, took about 1/2 hour for the whole session, I think they took about 30 pictures (but not sure) As someone else said, you can also get pictures from the photographers around the ship and spend less.

• 8 months later...

Navigator of the Seas................This Studio is very expensive. Jump drive with pics on it is $3400, Canvas and metal portrait is $2500, or you can get five 8 x 10 or fifteen 5 x 7 for $500. I asked if I could just by one and they said yes but it had to be the canvas or the metal photo. They also had a photo book which was $2500. WHO in their right mind pays that for photos? NO ME! Photos were terrific though. We were very upset that we weren't told the excessive cost before spending so much time getting the photos done. Need to advertise actual price before booking.

As others have said the 'picture this' photos range from 5 digital pictures at 500. All the way up to 1900. We did it, not realizing how much it was because we got a 'free' photo session as part of a grand suite. We bought the digital pictures for 500. I had no problems getting them printed. They are black and white photos, if that's what you want. They came out beautiful; however, it was expensive. But once we saw them we wanted them because we don't get too many family photos dressed up. We also did it on formal night, took about 1/2 hour for the whole session, I think they took about 30 pictures (but not sure) As someone else said, you can also get pictures from the photographers around the ship and spend less.

We did the free photo session as well on Harmony. Pictures were some of the best we've ever taken, but the cheapest package was over $2,000. We did the all photo package for the normal around the ship pictures, but couldn't afford the Picture This package. Really wish they had told us the price before the session. It was really depressing to turn down the photos since they were so amazing.

We did the free photo session as well on Harmony. Pictures were some of the best we've ever taken, but the cheapest package was over $2,000. We did the all photo package for the normal around the ship pictures, but couldn't afford the Picture This package. Really wish they had told us the price before the session. It was really depressing to turn down the photos since they were so amazing.

There must be some that just can't refuse getting the "amazing" photos. That is why they don't tell you the price beforehand. Standard sales technique-once the hook is in......gotcha!

• 4 weeks later...
Going on Allure this summer. I suspect my wife would very much like to get some family portraits done. I noticed that there is a Picture This portrait studio. Curious if anyone has used it, costs, etc.. Thoughts?

Picture This runs no picture deals of any kind. We had ours done and it took 45 min for 7 of us all adults. No prices given anywhere before the appt by RCCL employees in photo or the photographer with Picture This. We saw the proof the next evening along with the astronominical price list of these photos. 18 x 20 canvas or metal photo was $2000 each, Photo album with photos was $2500, five 8 x 10 photos was $550, and a jump drive with all photos was $3500. For us, this was the price for all 7 of us to cruise for 5 days, which cost us $3100. Why would we spend this much on photos? Tried dealing with them, and all answers were NO NO NO

It's kind of hiding and easy to miss if not looking for it. The small little shop is found on Deck 8 in Central Park, adjacent to the Park Café (but not obviously so; you've got to walk on the path around some greenery to reach the door).

On board Oasis, DW and I walked in, looked at the prices, and promptly walked right back out. We stuck to the standard photo packages rather than the specialized studio photography and private/custom packages that Picture This was offering.

No price list for Picture This was seen anywhere in photo dept. Made our appt, took 45 min, saw proofs next evening and passed out at prices. Plus there was no negotiating with them. NO NO NO