Deals for Canadians (!!!)

danny6514

Sorry if this has already been posted but NCL currently has a promo where CAD is on par with USD for many many sailings, check NCL's homepage for more details. Keep in mind the choice promo is not applicable in this case. Further, for people opting to pay at the normal exchange rate, escape and getaway are 20% off, Europe cruises are 25% off and it's combinable with the choice promos. I feel this is an awesome deal for people paying CAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if this has already been posted but NCL currently has a promo where CAD is on par with USD for many many sailings, check NCL's homepage for more details.

There are also many, many that are not and it is those that I would be interested in!!!!! :eek: :mad:

We are going on Spirit in September and it is included in the deal but we did the math and when you book now you dont get any of the promos that we have and it is a better fit for us to keep the promos we now have. But for many people it is a better deal

The online exchange rate site I follow has the USD==CAD exchange rate at 1.3213 today. If anyone is contemplating purchasing anything in CAD from NCL get a quote in both USD and CAD and see what rate they are using. It would be really interesting to see what they are doing at the moment.

Mike

My brother booked the escape sailing in August. Base price at par, the taxes/fees/pre purchases = 46% exchange rate...he is furious!

Customer service is powerless to do anything about this. He is going to fight this is much as possible, but may end up cancelling on principle. All Canadians are being **** at this case crazy rate!

Edited by lor74

My brother booked the escape sailing in August. Base price at par, the taxes/fees/pre purchases = 46% exchange rate...he is furious!

Customer service is powerless to do anything about this. He is going to fight this is much as possible, but may end up cancelling on principle. All Canadians are being **** at this case crazy rate!

I agree that we are very vulnerable at this time when it comes to travel.

Did your brother book with a TA or directly with NCL? I have been getting my TA to apply a $25.00 US pre-paid credit to my on-board spending account every week. With the exchange rate, it totals to approximately $27.80 CDN. Approximately 10%.

A lot of people are not aware that this option exists.

When you login to your booking online, are you seeing the $100 obc for $146 ? Before I mention what you said about the 10% to him, I want to know what rate is actually tied to your booking....thanks in advance

When you login to your booking online, are you seeing the $100 obc for $146 ? Before I mention what you said about the 10% to him, I want to know what rate is actually tied to your booking....thanks in advance

This is what I receive every Monday morning from my TA;

$25USD/ $27.78 on board credit has been added to your booking

It obvious, that my TA has given my CC info to NCL and asked them to setup a pre-payed payment schedule.

When I log into my NCL account, it shows me all of the installment credits I have purchased in US $25.00 amounts in My Purchased Items in Vacation Summary.

Hope this helps him out!

When you login to your booking on NCL.com and then click on Explore and Plan, followed by Onboard Credits.......what is the price for the $100 credit? May I also ask when are you sailing?

Thanks again

When you login to your booking on NCL.com and then click on Explore and Plan, followed by Onboard Credits.......what is the price for the $100 credit? May I also ask when are you sailing?

Thanks again

I do not have a $100 credit listed. Mine are displayed as the $25.00 increments I purchased in US dollars. Not sure what else I can tell you besides tell you brother to contact his TA and inquire.

We are on the April 3rd sailing of the Getaway.

Thanks for the info. No realize the first question I should have asked you, is when did you make your booking? If you made it before the rate change, you would be locked in....in which case what you see would not apply to current bookings [emoji24]

Thanks

Thanks for the info. No realize the first question I should have asked you, is when did you make your booking? If you made it before the rate change, you would be locked in....in which case what you see would not apply to current bookings [emoji24]

Thanks

Good call!

Our initial quote for this cruise was approximately 10 months ago.

Why don't you let me ask my TA what the exact deal is? I would be more than happy to.

The online exchange rate site I follow has the USD==CAD exchange rate at 1.3213 today. If anyone is contemplating purchasing anything in CAD from NCL get a quote in both USD and CAD and see what rate they are using. It would be really interesting to see what they are doing at the moment.

Mike

Today the rate I watch is at 1.29791.

Mike

I'm the brother that Lor74 is referring to. Booked the Aug.20 sailing on the Escape and took advantage of the Canada at par promotion. Very happy about this.

Once I realized that all the taxes and pre-cruise add-on's were being converted at 1.46 I called NCL to complain. Spoke to an agent and escalated to a supervisor. Bottom line is there is nothing they can do and that my TA has to call. I spoke to my TA and they called as well and was told the same thing. Reservation is locked in at 1.46.

Three days later NCL introduces new fares and now at a lower FX rate. Called NCL and my TA again but was given the same info. Only option was to cancel the reservation and make a new one. Unfortunately the pricing was different with the options I had and it actually ended up costing more. So I'm still locked at 1.46. [emoji35]

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'm the brother that Lor74 is referring to. Booked the Aug.20 sailing on the Escape and took advantage of the Canada at par promotion. Very happy about this.

Once I realized that all the taxes and pre-cruise add-on's were being converted at 1.46 I called NCL to complain. Spoke to an agent and escalated to a supervisor. Bottom line is there is nothing they can do and that my TA has to call. I spoke to my TA and they called as well and was told the same thing. Reservation is locked in at 1.46.

Three days later NCL introduces new fares and now at a lower FX rate. Called NCL and my TA again but was given the same info. Only option was to cancel the reservation and make a new one. Unfortunately the pricing was different with the options I had and it actually ended up costing more. So I'm still locked at 1.46. [emoji35]

You definitely want to keep an eye on the price. How big is the difference? Keep in mind your DSC and onboard credit and just about anything also goes by the exchange rate you're locked in. Just because the fare itself is cheaper doesn't mean you'll end up paying less.

Sorry if this has already been posted but NCL currently has a promo where CAD is on par with USD for many many sailings, check NCL's homepage for more details. Keep in mind the choice promo is not applicable in this case. Further, for people opting to pay at the normal exchange rate, escape and getaway are 20% off, Europe cruises are 25% off and it's combinable with the choice promos. I feel this is an awesome deal for people paying CAD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Regardless..us Canadians shell out MUCH MORE disposal income than our American counterparts.

It's good to be Canadian...I think!...

Disclaimer: This is my thinking pre-Trudeau...now I'm not so sure.

If a person booked and paid by credit card in American dollars, why would they not be charged the credit card exchange rate? Is this only because you chose the Cdn at par deal for the base fare? Does that give them control somehow?

I have been getting my TA to apply a $25.00 US pre-paid credit to my on-board spending account every week. With the exchange rate, it totals to approximately $27.80 CDN. Approximately 10%.

A lot of people are not aware that this option exists.

So you just pre-pay and then use these credits to apply to excursions, drinks etc when onboard? New tip for me, thanks!

If a person booked and paid by credit card in American dollars, why would they not be charged the credit card exchange rate? Is this only because you chose the Cdn at par deal for the base fare? Does that give them control somehow?

If you choose the Canadian "at par" deal then I doubt you could put it on a USD credit card, it would have to be on a CAD credit card. If you could it would make things even more complicated and expensive. Firstly the cruise costing, say USD1000, would be charged to your credit card as CAD1000 then the bank would convert that back to USD and charge you the fee. At least this would be a gain for you.

Then you become a "Canadian customer" and have any pre-embarkation further purchases converted by NCL from the USD price to the CAD at THEIR locked in exchange rate. Then if you buy, say USD100 OBC, NCL would automatically convert that to about CAD145 at their present rate. If you have nominated a USD credit card the bank would convert it back to USD at their rate and also charge you any fees for the international transfer. This is true for ALL future purchases made prior to boarding. So that would certainly be more expensive.

You would have to balance the gain at the start and the loss after.

As the currency on board is USD and charges there would be paid directly in USD to a USD credit card.

It is in fact logical for any Canadians using a CAD credit card initially because they are locked in at 1.07; 1.11; 1.18 or 1.33 to give the boat a USD credit card at embarkation for purchases made on board.

Mike

So you just pre-pay and then use these credits to apply to excursions, drinks etc when onboard? New tip for me, thanks!

BUT if you pay for the gratuities, shorex etc before you board then you are locked in and don't have to worry if the price rises. Most things you can buy before boarding cost more once on board.

Mike

BUT if you pay for the gratuities, shorex etc before you board then you are locked in and don't have to worry if the price rises. Most things you can buy before boarding cost more once on board.

Mike

Not really, my cruise I booked two weeks ago, was with the Canadian at par special. While the cruise itself was Canadian at par, the port charges and taxes were of course converted to Canadian at the current NCL US exchange rate of .46 cents on the dollar. I therefore did not elect to prepay my DSC as I am hoping that our dollar gets better (or lower) than their NCL rate of .46 cents on the dollar. Currently we are floating around .34 cents on the dollar, so already that is a savings to me, should I choose to pay the DSC once onboard my sailing. I have the benefit of being able to purchase/convert online my Canadian money for US money and plan on actively watching the rate between now and December in which case, I will board the ship and pay for my onboard charges with US money I plan on bringing onboard with me.

Oh by the way, while NCL's current rate being charged has been quoted as being approximately .29 or .30 cents on the dollar, the cruise that I specifically booked has gone up $120.00 alone for the room. Make sense, NOT really. So Canadians beware, NCL plays games and changes their cruise prices ALOT and of course, that Canadian AT PAR sale/sail.... is it really a sale??:rolleyes:

If you choose the Canadian "at par" deal then I doubt you could put it on a USD credit card, it would have to be on a CAD credit card. If you could it would make things even more complicated and expensive. Firstly the cruise costing, say USD1000, would be charged to your credit card as CAD1000 then the bank would convert that back to USD and charge you the fee. At least this would be a gain for you.

Then you become a "Canadian customer" and have any pre-embarkation further purchases converted by NCL from the USD price to the CAD at THEIR locked in exchange rate. Then if you buy, say USD100 OBC, NCL would automatically convert that to about CAD145 at their present rate. If you have nominated a USD credit card the bank would convert it back to USD at their rate and also charge you any fees for the international transfer. This is true for ALL future purchases made prior to boarding. So that would certainly be more expensive.

You would have to balance the gain at the start and the loss after.

As the currency on board is USD and charges there would be paid directly in USD to a USD credit card.

It is in fact logical for any Canadians using a CAD credit card initially because they are locked in at 1.07; 1.11; 1.18 or 1.33 to give the boat a USD credit card at embarkation for purchases made on board.

Mike

Ok, I am not talking about the Cdn at par. The last time we went I paid in US dollars with my Cdn credit card. My credit card billed me the US amount plus about 15%. NCL gets their price in US dollars and I get charged in Cdn dollars at the market rate the day VISA bills me. Are you saying that changed? That is like buying a book at $20 US on your VISA and being charged $40 Cdn when it should be about $27. I am also not talking about "booking" anything else or putting money on an onboard account. It was also logical that NCL would not give you taxes and fees at par. That's know as "read the fine print". They are not out to lose money but I can't see how they can wave a money wand and charge you more than the actual cost that you agree to. If the total when you book for everything is $1000 USD then at todays rate you would be paying about $1330 CAD on your Canadian credit card. Please explain why this isn't so. I find the back and forth thing described above as bizarre and completely new. Why would this change because the exchange rate goes up? And what is the benefit of pre-buying onboard credits?

I wanted to pay in $US but in order to take advantage of the Canada promo, the contract has to be in $CAD. I even asked if the pre cruise options can be changed to $US. Answer was no.

Between the fees and taxes, gratuities on UDP and SDP with gratuities I calculate that I'm overpaying by about $150 for the four of us. I'll leave the daily service charges for onboard and will pay at the prevailing rate at that time. With the new pricing plan it will cost me more than $150 extra so it's still more cost effective to keep what I already have, despite how it frustrating and unfair it may feel.