To MSC or to not MSC?

valancy1

Hello all,

I would love to hear from those of you who've cruised on MSC, particularly on Divina.

We are scheduled to be on Divina on 5/14. I have heard good and I have heard bad. I am a seasoned cruiser, but never on MSC.

I would like to know about:

- The boarding process

- Restaurants (particularly food sensitivities)

- Activities on the ship

- Are there formal nights on a 7-night cruise and if so, how many?

The rest I can deal with or enjoy just fine. I would really appreciate *any* feedback you wish to give and would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Hello all,

I would love to hear from those of you who've cruised on MSC, particularly on Divina.

We are scheduled to be on Divina on 5/14. I have heard good and I have heard bad. I am a seasoned cruiser, but never on MSC.

- The boarding process

- Activities on the ship

The rest I can deal with or enjoy just fine. I would really appreciate *any* feedback you wish to give and would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

AS a seasoned MSC cruiser I would expect Two "Gala" nights on a 7 night cruise.

In anticipation of your next question.

This is what I would expect on a Mediterranean cruise on Divina:-=

Less than 5% of men wear a Dinner Jacket

about 30% to 40 % wear a suit

Most of the rest wear smart casual ( Shirt (open necked)/ shirt (and tie) and smart trousers, maybe a jacket) with a few being casually dressed.

I'm sorry I can't answer the other questions as I've not sailed on MSC from a USA port since 2009 and things have changed a lot since then, and they have "Americanised" the procedures and particularly "Americanised "the food

for the US market

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Hello all,

- The boarding process

- Activities on the ship

Thanks in advance!

All you can do is try them because everyone has there own opinion. We love them for the great entertainment and beautiful ship, we have been on the Divina 5x and 2 more booked.

we have been on the Divina twice - a 7 day Caribbean and a 21 day transatlantic. We just booked a 7 day on their new ship, the Seaside, for Feb 2018. We are seasoned cruisers - diamond plus on RCL and elite on Celebrity and we loved the Divina. Their entertainment is superb and we thought the food in the MDR was very good - as was the service.

Before sailing with them the first time, we had also read good and (mostly) bad things but we gave them a try anyway and glad that we did. Each cruise line has their own 'feel' and I think some folks get so used to one cruise line that they have difficulty accepting that things on MSC aren't exactly what they are used to. So go with an open mind and I think you will find that you will enjoy an excellent cruise.

Marianne

we have been on the Divina twice - a 7 day Caribbean and a 21 day transatlantic. We just booked a 7 day on their new ship, the Seaside, for Feb 2018. We are seasoned cruisers - diamond plus on RCL and elite on Celebrity and we loved the Divina. Their entertainment is superb and we thought the food in the MDR was very good - as was the service.

Before sailing with them the first time, we had also read good and (mostly) bad things but we gave them a try anyway and glad that we did. Each cruise line has their own 'feel' and I think some folks get so used to one cruise line that they have difficulty accepting that things on MSC aren't exactly what they are used to. So go with an open mind and I think you will find that you will enjoy an excellent cruise.

Marianne

We are elite plus on Celebrity, and are sailing on the Splendida in September...Will be our first non-Celebrity cruise.

We are looking forward to the adventure. I have a feeling we will like the change of venue and will have a great cruise.

As the OP, we are also researching the line, almost like we are first time cruisers again!

Hello all,

- The boarding process

- Activities on the ship

Thanks in advance!

Just got off a 7 day on March 5, I can't answer some of your questions since we were part of themed cruise group but here are some of my observations:

boarding process is done by using a Public Address system that is inaudible. Stay close to the entrance so you can hear your zone once it's called.

Restaurants: the service was so slow that we opted for the buffet after a couple of lunches and dinners in the Black Crab and Villa Rossa dining rooms where we waited for 35 minutes and more.

One night, I went to the steakhouse, "Eataly". I had purchased a $30 voucher and this restricted my choices. Next time, I will order a la carte, no pre-paid voucher. This venue is totally devoid of ambiance. I did enjoy the spaghettone.

Activities: I can't answer this one since the week was spent attending sessions from the themed cruise.

There were 2 formal nights, the first and the last sea day.

Going again in July! She is a beautiful ship.

Hello all,

- The boarding process

- Activities on the ship

Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I have not sailed on the Divina, but have sailed on 3 other MSC ships, all in Europe.

Here is an excerpt from my cruise review on the Magnifica re dietary concerns:

Our DD is Vegan and this is where MSC really excelled!! The Section head would come to our table each night to discuss with our DD what she would like for diner the next night. She got vegan meals made special by the chef each night, curries with tofu, a vegan risotto, stir fry’s, We were all very please and impressed with how they handled her dietary needs.

Hope this helps.

Lois

Edited by electro

Just got off a 7 day on March 5, I can't answer some of your questions since we were part of themed cruise group but here are some of my observations:

boarding process is done by using a Public Address system that is inaudible. Stay close to the entrance so you can hear your zone once it's called.

Did all passengers on your cruise board when you did?

We have Sept cruise on Splendida, but on our cruise it overlaps (if that makes sense?)...There are multiple "7 day" cruises that overlap. I think there are 3 different embarkation points that we will have onboard.

I don't know if all MSC cruises are like this, or if they just do it in selected markets.

I have only cruised where all passengers are getting on at same port, so don't know what to expect for embarkation when in theory 2/3 of the ships passengers aren't disembarking in our port?

Hi Dodger - this makes boarding much quicker - a lot of MSC's European cruises work in this way and it really helps to speed up check-in. The only downside to this is that the muster station drill takes place several times, so unless you're off the ship there will be no services while this takes place, and you will hear the announcements / alarm

I find it's good as it gives you chance to meet so many more people

We just returned yesterday on the Divina. We arrived around 3:00 and it took less than 10 minutes for processing. Two formal nights, Sunday and Thursday. We don't have many occasions to dress up, so we take advantage and wear cocktail dresses and tuxedos, not many do, so we look overdressed, but still enjoy it. We had no problems in the Black Crab, loved it every night and would go back again. The Tiramisu was the best we've had in our lives. This was #9 (4 Carnival, 3 NCL, 1 RC) and would like to take my parents, who are in their early 70s, I think they would like the more relaxed atmosphere. We would have liked more activities and the ones they have are scheduled at the same time, so you have to choose. Just be patient, there are 4,000 passengers, we were chill and loved it.

My check in at Port of Miami - I arrived at the port around 1:00 and was not on board until almost 3:00. Very long slow process that day.

Main DR was decent. Service a little slow, smaller portions but everything was good. Buffet on our cruise was not good. (I understand this is not always the case). Mostly pizza, burgers and hotdogs. I did not dine in any specialty restaurant. Room service choices did not appeal to me.

The cruise I was on was 1/2 charter, but I did not see much in regard to activities the ship had for the other passengers. If the weather was better there would have probably been more things around the pool, but it was cold and rainy so they were probably indoors somewhere that I did not see.

We had no formal night on our 4 night cruise at all. They did have theme nights of "White", "Italian" and "70s & 80's".