Currently on the Breeze - Need Advice!

mel-b

Y'all, forgive any typos as I'm writing this at the Hub still half asleep. We have loved Carnival, and are excited to currently be on the Breeze 8 day southern itinerary. We are in cove balcony 2441. We have had a cove before on the Magic and had a wonderful experience (we usually book aft balconies or deck 9). I did know when I booked the Breeze just a short couple of months ago, the risk is always being under the galley in such a place that is not conducive with getting good sleep. 2441 was the best choice I could make for a cove, so I went with it.

Needless to say, my fear of loud noises (banging, scrapes across the floor etc) happening all night from above came true. Not to exaggerate, I believe there was a break in sounds of about 1-2 hours max (around 3am). The thought of this happening every night on my vacation is a bit daunting.

So, short of saying "suck it up buttercup," (which I am prepared to do IF there isn't a solution, I AM a realist and rarely a "complainist") I am looking for people who have been in this similar situation. What did you do? What is Carnival's policy on this? We do NOT want to change rooms (not even sure this can happen, although I find it hard to believe every cabin on this ship is taken). Ear plugs might help. I really really wish I had a box fan to create white noise (perhaps the Breeze has access to one?) The last thing I'd want to do is switch rooms. But honestly, if we were at a land based resort, and this was happening, I would want solutions. We all pay good money to have a relaxing vacation...

Before we talk with someone on the Breeze, I thought I'd put this out on the net. I'm not looking to be berated for my original choice of cabins, so please don't. I'm looking for people who have been in the same boat (pun intended) before. Thank you so much

Edited by mel-b

I would suggest earplugs, I never travel without them. You might open your balcony door just a bit to hear the waves. There is a music channel on the TV, keep that on all night. And, you might see if there is still a fan available.

Looking at deck plans, 2441 is directly below the galley. From what I've read here, cove balconies below the galley are not the cabins to book if you mind noise. It sounds like you knew this as well, but took a risk. You knew ahead of time the galley was a problem and still booked it. Why is that something Carnival should compensate? There's a reason cabins in this area are cheaper than other similar cabins on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

First off whether you knew or not is not the issue here, finding a solution to this problem is. I recommend going to guest services and speaking to them and by all means throw out suggestions like " do you have a fan so we can try the white noise" or do you have earplugs? Kindly give them the opportunity to fix the issue. WORK WITH them. They can't do a thing until you go down and speak with them.

So far you have one helpful post and one that was not at all helpful. Okgirl has some really good ideas. I would suggest ear plugs, download a sound machine app on your phone and ask for a fan. Leaving the balcony door open lets the cold out and might affect your neighbors air as well so I would not suggest that. Good luck. One year Carnival upgraded us to under the Lido. OMG it was horrible. The best sleep we had was one night we went up and slept by the pool. Seriously, the sound machine app should help.

We were just on the Breeze in a cove balcony and were very careful not to be under the galley etc. There were 2 nights where the noise was like someone was dragging furniture above us and it went on the entire night. Nothing the other nights. The only suggestion I have that's different form others is to turn on the TV on low. There are channels that just have music. That might drown out some of the noise.

Looking at deck plans, 2441 is directly below the galley. From what I've read here, cove balconies below the galley are not the cabins to book if you mind noise. It sounds like you knew this as well, but took a risk. You knew ahead of time the galley was a problem and still booked it. Why is that something Carnival should compensate? There's a reason cabins in this area are cheaper than other similar cabins on the ship.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

And it's people like you who are the reason I prefaced my post the way I did. There's a difference by the way between compensation and solutions. You will notice I never mentioned compensation. I'm fully willing to pay difference in fair to change rooms should that be the best solution. I'm open to that NOT being the best solution. For what it's worth, I booked a cove because I love being close to the waterline. Not because I'm looking to save a few dollars.

I would suggest earplugs, I never travel without them. You might open your balcony door just a bit to hear the waves. There is a music channel on the TV, keep that on all night. And, you might see if there is still a fan available.

Thank you so much for your reply. I think we'll give the earplugs a try. I don't mind asking if the Breeze has a fan. I like the idea of soft music too. Thanks again

First off whether you knew or not is not the issue here, finding a solution to this problem is. I recommend going to guest services and speaking to them and by all means throw out suggestions like " do you have a fan so we can try the white noise" or do you have earplugs? Kindly give them the opportunity to fix the issue. WORK WITH them. They can't do a thing until you go down and speak with them.

THANK YOU! I'm right there with you on this. I think once I get my coffee down and a shower, this is what we'll do. I'm fully prepared for whatever comes our way. At the end of the day, I refuse to have this be a damper on our vacation. We generally roll with the punches!

So far you have one helpful post and one that was not at all helpful. Okgirl has some really good ideas. I would suggest ear plugs, download a sound machine app on your phone and ask for a fan. Leaving the balcony door open lets the cold out and might affect your neighbors air as well so I would not suggest that. Good luck. One year Carnival upgraded us to under the Lido. OMG it was horrible. The best sleep we had was one night we went up and slept by the pool. Seriously, the sound machine app should help.

Thank you, cruising maniac. I totally agree, especially about the balcony door. As optimal as that sounds, it really isn't. Not just for our room, but for the others. Now, the pool deck and a hammock I could get behind! LOL

I'll check out the sound machine app. Good idea

We were just on the Breeze in a cove balcony and were very careful not to be under the galley etc. There were 2 nights where the noise was like someone was dragging furniture above us and it went on the entire night. Nothing the other nights. The only suggestion I have that's different form others is to turn on the TV on low. There are channels that just have music. That might drown out some of the noise.

Thank you. Yeah, the cove on the Magic was a fine experience. I can't recall which cabin we had. Honestly, when I booked the Breeze last minute, there were only a few cove balconies left. No aft balconies of course. A few spa balconies. So I went with it. If the best solution is ear plugs/white noise, I will be more than happy to do that. I will file away for the future to book early enough to have the proper cove location or forgo a cove for another deck. Thanks again

Go to guest services and see what they can do. Your not the only one to have had this cabin. Also buy a pair of ear plugs if you cannot move.

Thank you, Grandad. I appreciate your advice.

I've not been in that situation. What I do find though that if I hear noises, they bother me much more when I don't know the source, relax more when I do know. Try living near Disney where fireworks nightly are a given:eek: Being you know there will be noise, try to psyche yourself up to know it will continue and try to accept it instead of fretting over it, you might relax a bit. I don't blame you for not wanting to move, I'm a cove lover too. Wouldn't it be wonderful if there happened to be another cove available?

If you have a phone, tablet or ipod you can download white noise loop and even a box fan loop - my favorite is a thunderstorm. (I use amazon music but I am sure itunes has ambient music) Get a pair of earphones and you will be good to go. Hubby can be a LOUD snorer and this works for me :)

Assuming you have a smartphone or tablet you could download a white noise app and run that at night. It has worked wonderfully for us in the past. If you do not want to use the ships internet to download, wait for the first port and find free wifi (or cheap wifi). On Android there is an app called "White Noise Free". No charge and does the trick when you do not have a fan handy.

The apps for android and iphone both work great. I use the ipod version at home on a docking station so no earplugs needed as they are painful for me to sleep in. They now sell those little speakers that can attach just like earplugs to your phone and put it next to your pillow. I've done that too with my android phone.

Now adays I carry a small sound spa machine that works on batteries of electric. It's the first thing in my suitcase for cruising.

OP I know these suggestions may not work now, but I hope you get things sorted out.

We were under the pool deck on our first cruise last year. We ended up downloading the white noise app on both of our phones before we left the port (we figured out what we were into by then) and used ear plugs. Best of luck. Enjoy the trip and a nap in a hammock today.

I think ear plugs are your best bet. We were under the lido pool stadium seating on the Glory and every night in the middle of the night they moved the deck chairs. I don't think "white noise" app would have covered the banging. Luckily it didn't last long. If it had been all night I would have figured something out.

Thank you, cruising maniac. I totally agree, especially about the balcony door. As optimal as that sounds, it really isn't. Not just for our room, but for the others. Now, the pool deck and a hammock I could get behind! LOL

I'll check out the sound machine app. Good idea

You're welcome. Have fun!! I doubt they can do anything about the noise from the galley so you are probably gonna have to embrace the suck.