Ms nieuw Amsterdam - which balcony cabins?

fraj1

Can anyone advise on best balcony cabin location? Treating ourselves and Seems as if most balconies are on Navigation Deck right under the pools - any problems from sunbed movement noise? Any other balcony recommendations? Thanks!

It depends on which cruise you are taking and what is available, of course. The Navigation Deck has a large number of the Verandah cabins. One of those under the Lido Deck carpeted areas would not be subjected to as much chair scraping as by the pools. On the Niew Amsterdam there are two Verandahs on the Upper Verandah Deck forward. The Verandah Deck has the other large number of the Verandah cabins. The balconies on that deck though are not as deep as the other decks.

If you choose the Navigation Deck, try and compare what is above on the Navigation Deck.

Edited by Heartgrove

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Deck 5 has balconies that aren't as deep. Not all of them, mind you, but some are quite a bit smaller than their counterparts on other decks.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Deck 5 has balconies that aren't as deep. Not all of them, mind you, but some are quite a bit smaller than their counterparts on other decks.

Yes, you are right. jtl is an expert on those balconies, and hopefully he will be along shortly to advise - if he's not away on a cruise.

Right - everything from 5053 to 5138 - including the four SS cabins in the middle - are just 4.5 ft deep.

If you google "Nieuw Amsterdam deck plans and then choose the selection "cruise critic www", you will find a page, NIEUW AMSTERDAM DECK PLANS, to choose any deck you want and will be able to see by the diagrams where the cabins are located and compare sizes of balconies. Deck four has the deepest. I usually look and compare my desired cabin in relation to the location of the elevators/stairs. Then you can look at decks both above and below or any other deck and get a good idea where your cabin will be in relationship to this area. Cabins below any bathroom area is fine.

We just returned from a NA cruise, where we were in 7084 on Rotterdam Deck. I really liked its location -- with nothing above or below us except other staterooms, around the corner from elevators, two decks below the Lido and three decks above the dining room, it was very convenient. There was NO disturbing noise from the hallways or elevators, and the balcony was larger than we expected.

Thank you for all your replies so far- very helpful! We are doing the inside Passage - 7 day Vancouver to Vancouver round trip - booking way ahead - now for sept 2017 - so hopefully will get good cabin availability- not sure if that will change the advice?

We just took an upscale from our inside cabin at the very front of the ship to a balcony on the Navigation deck (8082). I'm hoping from the comments here that we will have a deeper balcony.

The balcony will not be as deep as an aft cabin but deeper than Deck 5. It is approximately 6' +/- deep. What you will have is a larger overhang from the Lido Deck 9. It is under the carpeted area so noise from above shouldn't be an issue.

The balcony will not be as deep as an aft cabin but deeper than Deck 5. It is approximately 6' +/- deep. What you will have is a larger overhang from the Lido Deck 9. It is under the carpeted area so noise from above shouldn't be an issue.

Thank you for the information! An aft balcony wasn't available but we're just happy to have been offered an opportunity to move from the interior room! We don't usually spend much time on the cabin but the balcony will be a nice addition.

Thank you for the information! An aft balcony wasn't available but we're just happy to have been offered an opportunity to move from the interior room! We don't usually spend much time on the cabin but the balcony will be a nice addition.

We like to start our day with Room Service on the balcony. It can't be beat! Have a nice cruise. We'll be on the NA in 2-1/2 months.

fraj1 I have stayed on the Navigation deck on the Nieuw Amsterdam in balcony cabins 8157 three times and 8147 once.

You may hear a little bit of noise from loungers scraping around, and they do power wash the pool deck in the early hours, so the balcony may get a bit wet, even with the overhang from above.

I honestly cannot tell you if the little bit of scraping would bother you. Many people it does. I only do a fully chartered music cruise on HAL, so there is 15' stack of Marshalls over head, which go on til 4am. The whole cabin and ceiling pounds. So when there is minor movement, like moving stage equipment, I don't really notice. I am often surprised when folks say the moving of the lounge chairs is noisy.

It is a really handy location. However, the past three sailings there has been plumbing and intermittent AC issues.

Edited by sun~

• 4 weeks later...

For an Inside Passage, that should be fine as most of the cruise is in sheltered waters with mostly mild seas. Of course the sea is like the weather, unpredictable at times. In rough seas, the stern doesn't move as much as the bow.

Enjoy!

Edited by Heartgrove

I just booked the NA verandah deck midship specifically for location. Will our balcony be slightly smaller, from what I understand, yes, does it bother us, no. We prefer the location over this size of our balcony. So depends on what is important to you...hope everyone's wonderful info helps you make the right decision for you.

Has anyone had a balcony on the NA with solid steel railing? There are a lot of them and I can't decide it would be an issue or not. I guess when sitting down you wouldn't be able to see anything. Any other downsides I'm not thinking of? Any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess when sitting down you wouldn't be able to see anything. Any pictures?
Unless you're quite tall and sit up very straight you won't be able to see over the wood rail.

Google /4021-nieuw-amsterdam/ for pictures and comments by CC member cormike1.

Edited by catl331

Has anyone had a balcony on the NA with solid steel railing? There are a lot of them and I can't decide it would be an issue or not. I guess when sitting down you wouldn't be able to see anything. Any other downsides I'm not thinking of? Any pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would never agree to one. Looking outside you'd never see the water - only sky. Sitting down you'd never see over them.

There are only 36 balconies with steel railings out of the 718 cabins with balconies.

We have not had one of them but our friends next door did; I took this pictures to show the difference:

m9avsg.jpg

2zyd479.jpg

2m81jeo.jpg