RCL Jewel of Seas deck plans

Does the Jewel have an outside lower deck that wraps around the front or back of the ship? Promenade deck or lower deck. We like to walk/exercise on the lower outside decks. We are looking at cruises for Feb 2017 and can't tell by our deck plans. Thanks!

• 1 month later...

I just found this thread, and I'm hoping I can get clarification. If I understand the answers, The Jewel of the Seas does have a full wrap-around walking deck, but it is closed sometimes due to the helipad. When does that happen? Only a rare occurrence?

Can someone describe the walking deck a little more? I'm considering this ship for a transatlantic cruise but we would like to walk laps or relax in lounge chairs on an outer deck, with a nice view of the ocean. Any comparison to Holland America outside promenade decks would be most helpful.

If the helipad is closed, you simply stroll through the interior of the ship to the other side...not a big deal! There are chairs and possibly some loungers on both side of the promenade deck.

I just found this thread, and I'm hoping I can get clarification. If I understand the answers, The Jewel of the Seas does have a full wrap-around walking deck, but it is closed sometimes due to the helipad. When does that happen? Only a rare occurrence?

The helipad is closed when there are very high winds or seas. Other than that it should be open.

...The Jewel of the Seas does have a full wrap-around walking deck, but it is closed sometimes due to the helipad.... Can someone describe the walking deck a little more? I'm considering this ship for a transatlantic cruise but we would like to walk laps or relax in lounge chairs on an outer deck, with a nice view of the ocean...

The helipad, obviously, is at the front of the ship and is accessible on both sides by a set of stairs. When weather and high winds dictate, they put a chain across the access points but you can still get to the other side of the ship by cutting through the inside. The entire deck is not closed, just the helipad at the front. There are chairs on both sides of the ship on this deck, and one side is the smoking side so just know that. The lifeboats hang above you on this deck. You can easily Google pictures if you wish.

As well, it is not considered a full and true "track" or walking course; it's really not meant to be used as a jogging track, although no one stops the passengers from doing so. There is a jogging track up on Deck 12 and it does go all the way around, unobstructed. It is wonderful in the early morning and the sunrises are spectacular. :) However, as the day progresses it does get congested with sunbathers and the loungers, as they move them into the track area. I always use the gym and walk in the morning to avoid this. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers

The helipad, obviously, is at the front of the ship and is accessible on both sides by a set of stairs. When weather and high winds dictate, they put a chain across the access points but you can still get to the other side of the ship by cutting through the inside. The entire deck is not closed, just the helipad at the front. There are chairs on both sides of the ship on this deck, and one side is the smoking side so just know that. The lifeboats hang above you on this deck. You can easily Google pictures if you wish.

As well, it is not considered a full and true "track" or walking course; it's really not meant to be used as a jogging track, although no one stops the passengers from doing so. There is a jogging track up on Deck 12 and it does go all the way around, unobstructed. It is wonderful in the early morning and the sunrises are spectacular. :) However, as the day progresses it does get congested with sunbathers and the loungers, as they move them into the track area. I always use the gym and walk in the morning to avoid this. :)

Google returns images for a variety of ships even when I specify "Jewel of the Seas", along with (mostly) non-promenade pictures. Needle in a haystack. If anyone can share a url or two, it would be much appreciated.

Sounds like the jogging track is not what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all replies thus far.

We enjoy our evening walks on Deck 12 on the Jewel where you can walk a circle around the entire ship. On the Promenade you are required to go up a set of stairs to get to the helicopter pad is available if there is access, but those stairs can be iffy if you have bad knees. But, as others have said, you can cut through the inside and avoid the stairs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Any more descriptions of the outdoor promenade deck?

What else would you like to know? Deck 5 has chairs in some places, and loungers in others. One side of the deck is smoking and you will see ashtrays there. As I mentioned before, the lifeboats hang above you on this deck. If you position your chair correctly, you can see the ocean but there are various obstructions such as life preservers, storage units, and the actual structure of the ship. It is a nice place to spend a few hours and I have had many a nap out there. :D

Some people do treat it as a running track which, in my personal opinion, compromises the integrity of the peace and solitude that this deck provides. Serious joggers and runners should really use the proper running track on Deck 12.

We enjoy our evening walks on Deck 12 on the Jewel where you can walk a circle around the entire ship. On the Promenade you are required to go up a set of stairs to get to the helicopter pad is available if there is access, but those stairs can be iffy if you have bad knees. But, as others have said, you can cut through the inside and avoid the stairs.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

This is what I did in January.

• 2 weeks later...

A belated thanks for the additional replies! ! Most helpful, especially the photos. I think I’d really enjoy deck 5 / promenade on the Jewel (or the Radiance). However, some of the photos show that in some sections, the lower half of the railing has metal sheets attached, which would block some of the view while seated in one of the lounge chairs:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/photos/ships/radiance-of-the-seas-170/promenade-deck-257692/promenade-deck--v12180189/

…and the 6th image in the strip of photos here:

https://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/deckplans/shiptour.php?ship=Jewel-of-the-Seas&deck=Deck%205&r=7401

Is anyone able to comment on the extent of these sections of the railing on the Jewel which, as some photos show, are covered or semi-covered with the metal sheets?

The lounge chairs look good - I’ve always found that type to be comfortable, although not ideal for a colder day or lounging for a long time (considerations for a November transatlantic).

Overall, thanks to the helpful comments and photos here, the Jewel seems like a find alternative to my other option, the Holland America Prinsendam. The fact that the Jewel has those steps while walking around the ship would probably be offset by the fact that each lap would be a longer walk (i.e. larger ship than Prinsendam).

...However, some of the photos show that in some sections, the lower half of the railing has metal sheets attached, which would block some of the view while seated in one of the lounge chairs... Is anyone able to comment on the extent of these sections of the railing on the Jewel which, as some photos show, are covered or semi-covered with the metal sheets?...

Yes, that's what I was talking about in my previous post:

...If you position your chair correctly, you can see the ocean but there are various obstructions such as life preservers, storage units, and the actual structure of the ship...

The metal sections go all the way to the deck - there are no open spaces (imagine a small child and how easily they might get caught or go over). Just move your chair accordingly. :)

Edited by Langley Cruisers