Hotel Service Charge

springaussie

[quote name='springaussie']Do you think things are better on Norwegian since the gratuities were replaced with a hotel service charge?[/QUOTE]

Not called Hotel Service Charge. The Daily Service Charge is same thing as gratuities so not replaced. In most places NCL refers to it as gratuity, but in a few places refers to it as Service Charge. NCL is not consistent in what they call it, but nowhere is it called a Hotel Service Charge. That is what HAL calls theirs and is consistent about it. Edited by NMLady

[quote name='NMLady']Not called Hotel Service Charge. The Daily Service Charge is same thing as gratuities so not replaced. In most places NCL refers to it as gratuity, but in a few places refers to it as Service Charge. NCL is not consistent in what they call it, but nowhere is it called a Hotel Service Charge. That is what HAL calls theirs and is consistent about it.[/QUOTE]

It's not called the daily service charge. In both the Guest Ticket Contract and FAQs it's called the service charge, and in fact in neither of those places is it called a gratuity. Gratuities are mentioned elsewhere in the FAQs as they have been for years, and it is clear the term is not used interchangeably with service charge. The words gratuity or gratuities are not used at all in the Guest Ticket Contract.

The only confusion comes in the use of a combined gratuity/service charge in the description of the beverage and specialty dining plans. Edited by njhorseman

[quote name='Annmeat']Maybe in Australia they call it hotel service charge?[emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app[/QUOTE]

No. I checked both the Australian website and the Australian Guest Ticket Contract, and it's called service charge, not hotel service charge.

[quote name='njhorseman']No. I checked both the Australian website and the Australian Guest Ticket Contract, and it's called service charge, not hotel service charge.[/QUOTE]

YOU are good!!

Im working on a research paper right now- would you like a job? :D

That is really a hard question since the DSC has been around since at least 2002 (that is when I started cruising on NCL).

Since then we are now on the third president of the line, and at least the third or fourth raise in the DSC amount. :D

The concept was all part of Freestyle cruising (back when they were the fish swimming against the stream :)).They wanted to eliminate the last night "tip line" where you were supposed to tip your wait staff, room stewards etc. for their services throughout the cruise.

Because NCL had no fixed seating dining your wait staff would be different each night which made tipping one person/staff impossible.

[quote name='bonvoyagie']That is really a hard question since the DSC has been around since at least 2002 (that is when I started cruising on NCL).

Since then we are now on the third president of the line, and at least the third or fourth raise in the DSC amount. :D

The concept was all part of Freestyle cruising (back when they were the fish swimming against the stream :)).They wanted to eliminate the last night "tip line" where you were supposed to tip your wait staff, room stewards etc. for their services throughout the cruise.

Because NCL had no fixed seating dining your wait staff would be different each night which made tipping one person/staff impossible.[/QUOTE]

Thanks
Great explanation

[quote name='casofilia']They were!! Were they? I don't use any NCL hotels; I never knew they had any.[/QUOTE]

Every (NCL) cruise ship is in fact a hotel, hence Hotel Directors onboard. Edited by Demonyte