What Beach to Choose

brooker

So I am torn. I have searched and researched and did a lot of reading on here and I am still unsure where I want to go. We dock at Havensight. We are the only ship in port. It is our last port stop of our trip so I want to make the best of my time. I don't want to spend too much time in a cab. We will not snorkel but we would like to swim in the beautiful blue water. Doesn't make a difference if there are waves or not. Decent restrooms are important. We would need loungers and a bar. A full service restaurant is not a necessity. I would not be happy with a "spring break type crowd", but I am certainly not looking for a quiet or deserted type beach. People having fun is great. So what beach would you suggest? I am thinking a 20 min cab ride in each direction, 25 mins at the most. Thanks so much.

Magens Bay or Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald beach).

Magens Bay is prettier, but the Emerald Beach Resort at Lindbergh has a real restaurant and beach bar and nicer restrooms, and Island Beachcomber is more a locals spot.

OK. Thank you so much. Yesterday I read all 21 pages of a thread about the beaches and was just overwhelmed. Emerald/Lindbergh it is. Every time I think I decide on Emerald I read something else that makes me want to go somewhere else. What is Island Beachcomber?

We did Honeymoon Beach on Water Island last week and it was not crowded at all because we were the only ship in port (note: I would ONLY do this if we were the only ship in port). This will be our new spot when we visit St Thomas if we're the only ship in port.

It meets all your criteria, except it's a 10 minute ferry ride away rather than a taxi (ferry leaves right next to the Havensport dock). Super easy to do.

There is an abundance of sea turtles right off the beach that we basically had all to ourselves throughout the day.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Christina

Island Beachcomber is one of the two hotels with restaurants/bars on Emerald Beach. I wouldn't consider it a local spot. Popular with visitors from Denmark.

Friends living there meet at the IB with their friends and so "local" worked for me. But let's call it a more casual spot, maybe? But both are casual and friendly...

Emerald Beach and Island Beachcomber are two hotels on Lindbergh Bay. The Beachcomber is a favorite of locals as the place to stop before you take a visitor to the airport for one last drink on the water. ;)

Water Island is accessible by ferry from Crown Bay, not Havensight. :D

We did Honeymoon Beach on Water Island last week and it was not crowded at all because we were the only ship in port (note: I would ONLY do this if we were the only ship in port). This will be our new spot when we visit St Thomas if we're the only ship in port.

It meets all your criteria, except it's a 10 minute ferry ride away rather than a taxi (ferry leaves right next to the Havensport dock). Super easy to do.

There is an abundance of sea turtles right off the beach that we basically had all to ourselves throughout the day.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Christina

I believe you mean the ferry goes from Crown Bay to Water Island?

Honeymoon Beach does tend to get quite crowded as it's become a favorite spot for folks docking in Crown, as well as a drop off for some of the operators with the smaller motorboats. As you said with 1 ship in port it may be ok, but Lindbergh would be a better choice IMHO, especially as far as decent restrooms are concerned...

Edited by blue_water

I believe you mean the ferry goes from Crown Bay to Water Island?

Honeymoon Beach does tend to get quite crowded as it's become a favorite spot for folks docking in Crown, as well as a drop off for some of the operators with the smaller motorboats. As you said with 1 ship in port it may be ok, but Lindbergh would be a better choice IMHO, especially as far as decent restrooms are concerned...

Yes, you're right - I meant that the ferry leaves from Crown Bay.

Clearly my brain is still on Caribbean-mode :D

If docking at Crown Bay, and one only wanted to hit the beach for a couple hours, with maybe a little snorkeling, would Emerald be a good choice, or best to go elsewhere? How much is a cab to Emerald area?

No snorkeling at Emerald, take a cab to Sapphire or Secret Harbor for around 11.00 p/p ea way 25 minutes. You can walk to Emerald or 4.00 p/p for a cab.

OK. Thank you so much. Yesterday I read all 21 pages of a thread about the beaches and was just overwhelmed. Emerald/Lindbergh it is. Every time I think I decide on Emerald I read something else that makes me want to go somewhere else. What is Island Beachcomber?

We were dead set on going to Emerald Beach in December but had trouble finding a taxi to take us there since no one else was going there when we got off the ship early in the morning. The taxi driver recommended Coki or Magen's, probably to fill up the taxi and we decided to go to Coki since we didn't feel like wasting anymore time. I'm so glad we went there. The beach was beautiful and the water was so clear and calm. We had a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Originally Posted by brooker View Post

You will like Lindbergh Bay (aka Emerald) very much!

• 4 weeks later...
We were dead set on going to Emerald Beach in December but had trouble finding a taxi to take us there since no one else was going there when we got off the ship early in the morning. The taxi driver recommended Coki or Magen's, probably to fill up the taxi and we decided to go to Coki since we didn't feel like wasting anymore time. I'm so glad we went there. The beach was beautiful and the water was so clear and calm. We had a great time!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Does anyone know if this is common practice with cabs not taking you if there aren't enough of people? We leave Saturday for our cruise and I think have FINALLY decided on Emerald beach, we dock at Havensight, do you know how long a cab ride and how much?

Yes, unfortunately, the taxi drivers want to fill up their vans or safaris to maximize their profit. They also prefer going to a destination that has a higher fare. The fare from Crown Bay to Lindbergh cannot be much, $4 per person possibly? On the other hand they charge $8, 10 or 12 (or more) for other beaches. When you get off the ship, find the taxi dispatcher and tell them where you want to go. And be firm.

Oops! I see you are leaving from Havensight. That should get them a bit more that $4...

Edited by O2B@Cagain