Who is more organized when you travel?

TriGirl

When I'm traveling with Christopher, it's definitely ... ME.

He doesn't think about what he's going to wear on a cruise until a day or two before departure.

I'm shopping 3 - 4 months in advance, laying out clothing for each day.

He packs the night before.

I pack days (or weeks) in advance.

He doesn't bother to consider the need for airport transfer details on either side of the cruise.

I make all those arrangements (be default).

He doesn't bother to look at the shore excursions booklet until we're on the plane, flying to the port of departure (if then).

I'm looking at the shore excursions on-line BEFORE I book.

He is always forgetting important things, requiring us to have the Taxi stop in-route to the airport to pick up forgotten items (or he buys them aboard ship).

I've had my items all out and accounted for and checked off my list WEEKS in advance.

He thinks 3 or 4 weeks in advance of the cruise is sufficient for booking air.

I usually book air the day after booking the cruise -- often 6 - 9 months or more in advance of the cruise.

I have to say, as with the majority of things in our lives, it's about a 50 / 50 split.

As far as knowing where to go, what to do and when, planning activities up front, research, etc. it's me.

If there are tickets, documents or anything else that "Can't get lost" it's Gina hands down.

Definitely me.

I confer w/TA, book the trip, get money, find the passports, do laundry (he "might" drop off at cleaners), arrange the dog sitter, check the boards, research the excursions, get my haircut (I already have dates on the calendar up to my next cruise in January), stop the paper and the mail, pack everything but his clothes, etc. Whew!

He packs his clothes (usually morning of departure, just grabs hangers and all, dumps in suitcase). Gets his haircut (if stylist has an opening right when he calls, hates to make an appointment). Loads suitcases in car and drives to airport or if we're lucky, to port in Galveston. Utters "Where is my........?" at least once during packing process.

For me, half the fun is in the anticipation and the planning. For him, he'd be just as happy if I just told him one morning, "Pack your suitcase, the ship sails at 5:00 p.m.".

Dh and I have the perfect arrangement ( :) for us). I do all of the booking for cruises, arrange our air, car service to the airport and home, hotels for pre and post cruise, dinner reservations on land, research for tours/sightseeing, being responsible for bringing passports, confirmations, cruise docs and do all of the shopping for and packing for all of our cruises, refill prescriptions and arrange house-sitting.

But fear not.... :) DH contributes mightily and in equal share....He pays for it all.

Dh and I have the perfect arrangement ( :) for us). I do all of the booking for cruises, arrange our air, car service to the airport and home, hotels for pre and post cruise, dinner reservations on land, research for tours/sightseeing, being responsible for bringing passports, confirmations, cruise docs and do all of the shopping for and packing for all of our cruises, refill prescriptions and arrange house-sitting.

But fear not.... :) DH contributes mightily and in equal share....He pays for it all.

I am impressed:D But I even pay for it, oh wait he does a spread sheet with the list of clothes he needs I pack them. He is retired I work! At least I pick the vacation spots too. It has gotten that he tells everyone I do it all and he just goes along for the fun of it. So far I think I am doing a good job he hasn't complained once;)

Kathy

Like Randy, I'm the "TA" of the household. I arrange our trips and all facets thereof. My DW likes it that way.

I prepare my packing list months in advance (as soon as I book the cruise) then bring it up on the computer about once a month to tweak it. That way I can pack virtually the night before and not have to worry that I've forgotten anything.

I do all my own packing, and so does my DW. It just seems to work out better for us that way, because there can be no deflected blame if something turns out to be missing! ;)

:) "I love the 'no deflected blame' line, Jim. :)

I intermingle our clothes between all of the bags we are taking. If one bag should be lost, at least both of us will have some things....It could be very hard on our marriage if I packed all my things in one bag and it was lost but DH's bag made it safely to our cabin. I'm not sure how 'gracious' I would be about the fact he had clothes and I did not.

I am retired and my wife is a school teacher so she stays very busy, she does the laundry and cleaning and I do the cooking and basically handling thing with the boys.

I do all the planning as she hates the details, I have traveled all my life in sales so planning a trip is second nature. I was packed two weeks ago, got my haircut, ensured the medications were ready, even got a sunpass for the tolls on the turnpike, arranged hotel, a college football game on the way home and of course arranged the trip itself as well as the excursions, printed and discussed the dinner menu with her, etc. I also am the one who reads up on history and local customs so I can guide her around where we are going.

Planning and learning are for me as much fun as the trip itself.

I already have our resort, airfare and tours lined up for a trip to Cancun next year too. She says I ought to become a TA myself, but I think the internet is replacing them. LOL

We're leaving for the Zuiderdam tomorrow morning, my fiancee has not packed yet. He said he's going to pack after work today, I would do it for him but he's MUCH too particular about how things are folded and what order things go in. So this evening I get to watch him run around packing things and talking to himself.

When it comes to organizing any vacation, my hubby stands aside. And I am glad, too, because if he were in charge we'd be at the airport and things like the cruise docs, etc would be at home. (Everyones nightmare!)

I on the other hand am absolutely ...uhem...rediculous about being organized. I hate to miss even one thing.

Karen

How weird is this - my words and RevNeal's are practically identical - just substitute my DH for his Christopher!!! I plan each trip(with some input from DH), then make arrangements for transport to/from the airport, book shore excursions, purchase necessities, pack for both of us (I love packing!), while DH stands by offering encouragement and making sure his cheque book and pen are ready in case there's something we need at the last minute.

I actually enjoy all the planning and preparation because it means we will spend an uninterrupted holiday together without worry. DH really enjoys the trips, and I feel good knowing that the minute we leave our house he and I begin to relax and de-stress because all the details are taken care of. Cruises are a time for us to spend quality time together experiencing some of life's greatest offerings - I feel privileged to be able to be able to take every one we can.

When we're not cruising, I let him take care of most of the details and he treats me like a queen!

Smooth Sailing! :) :) :)

I have to say that I do it all. I book the cruise, book the air, book the hotel. I spend hours on line checking the ports of call and the different shore excursions offered by the ship and on line. I do all the cruise attire planning right down to what we will be wearing to leave home. There's always a second list of all the extras that we need to take. I have a folder with every confirmation as well as all my notes that will go in my carry-on. (I have a list of all our belongings that are in our checked luggage in case a bag should go astray.) I know I'm overly organized but that's what I do so I'm 99% sure I haven't forgotten anything.

Oh, by the way, my DH does not help with the packing, however, while I'm packing he will do any household chores that I ask him to do and he also has to heave the bags in and out of the car and he does handle the bags throughout the trip so I can be somewhat "hands free" to deal with our tickets, passports, etc. It works for us...... :D:D

It's the only time I am organized: DH is much more on top of things than me, but when it comes to travel; it's me. He manages to get the kids to the kennel and maybe get his shaving bag filled, That is as far as it goes. Guess he thinks my being a part time agent makes me totally responsible for all travel plans including packing, etc. I really don't mind as long as he gives me all the money and CCards as well. FAT CHANCE. LOL

NMNita

I usually pick the vacation and do most of the planning and packing. He is really easy going and if there is something he really wants to do or see he lets me know and I figure it into the plans. If I ask him to do some of the pre cruise errands, he does gladly. His big contribution comes the day we leave, he loads the car and drives to the airport or port.

It would be my guess that *almost* every answer on here will be "I do" (as has indeed been the case so far with one lone exception).... simply because BEING HERE is part of that process.

It's definitely me here. As most of y'all, I do everything... including this time paying for it all. Well, DH did contribute - he's the one who said "Let's take a cruise". Of course, he's also the one who, when he found out how much it was going to cost all told said "Hmmmm.... maybe not". Of course, by that time I had spent load of hours here, researched everything and gotten all excited about it so I responded with "Fine, I'll pay for it".... and we're now 59 days away! YAY!

I do make DH pack his own clothes. Years ago I packed for him, but I quit that a long time ago for Jim's "no deflected blame" reason. He got ticked off at me one too many times when I didn't bring something he wanted (not something he needed - I don't forget those things - just some particular article of clothing he wanted or something) and I said "Fine, I've packed for you for the last time... you do it" and I haven't packed a clothing or toiletry item for him since.

I have that "Fine... " thing down.

My wife mostly does all the shopping for the cruise, both hers and mine. So we have everything we need all set for packing time.

I pack my own stuff she packs hers.

But I am much more anal about everything being in the right place and making sure we have this and is that where its supposed to be . Once we pack i am still checking the bags to make sure everything is right. :)

I drive her crazy:) But do we ever forget anything (at least major)?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :)

I do it all!!!

He barely knows how to turn on the computer, let alone book ANYTHING. He does take care of all the household things before we leave, like someone to watch the dogs, and the mail.

I let him pack his own clothes until he FORGOT, his bp meds, and his suit slacks, and only had a pair of light brown dockers. Now I stack everything and he gets approval, before we pack. I make sure all meds and documents are in MY hand before we walk out the door.

He is retired, and does ALL the housework so I can't complain, and he treats me like a queen all the time, especially on vacation, after all the work, I deserve it!!!

Well...my DW does read the boards and she's reminded me that she's in charge of pre-cruise hotels. I'm kind of like "whatever has a bed" and she thinks she's roughing it if the pool doesn't have bar service. She also gets quite involved in shore tours and has, as she so kindly pointed out to me, picked the tours on our last two cruises.

Archived