Canceling a cruise

Jean1946

I'm cancelling b2b cruises in Europe that start in October, with final payment due the middle of July. My TA included my trip insurance in my deposit, something I never do and now she says that I won't get that insurance money back when I cancel. She advised me to book another cruise first so that the insurance money can be transferred. This doesn't make sense to me and I sure don't want to lose $549. I'm boarding the Westerdam a week from tomorrow for a 30-day cruise and planned to book something there with the future cruise consultant, but certainly not for 39 days, so the insurance wouldn't be $549 anyway.

Is my TA wrong? She's very experienced, but I sure can't believe what I'm hearing from her.

Do you mean that your TA will transfer the insurance to a new cruise, or that she believes HAL will transfer the insurance for you? I know people have said that if you do cancel (after final payment) that one thing you don't get back is the cost of the insurance itself - which makes sense.

She said not to cancel the cruise now because I'd lose the insurance, but that when I book something onboard the insurance would transfer. I think it was totally stupid of her to have me pay for it ahead of time, so very far ahead of time. Final payment isn't even due until the middle of July. And it's highly doubtful that I'm going to book anything that requires $549 worth of insurance. Why in the world would anyone buy it that far ahead of time? booked last December for a cruise that doesn't begin until October.

She said not to cancel the cruise now because I'd lose the insurance, but that when I book something onboard the insurance would transfer. I think it was totally stupid of her to have me pay for it ahead of time, so very far ahead of time. Final payment isn't even due until the middle of July. And it's highly doubtful that I'm going to book anything that requires $549 worth of insurance. Why in the world would anyone buy it that far ahead of time? booked last December for a cruise that doesn't begin until October.

Your ta should cover that error. That said when I used a ta I would get their insurance when I booked, NOT Hal's insurance. I did cancel a cruise from time to time and I was able to transfer the insurance. I'm under the impression that you can't do that with Hal's insurance but I'm not 100 % sure.

Depending on who the insurance is with and what coverages were selected, your Travel Agent may be right.

HAL used to require that you purchase non refundable insurance at the time of original booking if you wanted cancel for any reason insurance, as do many other policies. HAL now only requires that purchase prior to final payment.

As to being able to transfer the insurance, again that would depend on the insurer. Back when HAL did require purchase at booking they allowed me to move the insurance to a new cruise I booked at the same time I cancelled one.

:D

Got my Refund 24 hours after asking for it on Cruise Critic!

Thank all you Cruise Critic Members!:p

It is inexcusable how long you waited to get your refund. I'm happy they finally put the credit through.

I am unclear if you purchased HAL insurance or third party.

That can make a difference as to when to cancel/rebook another cruise in order to transfer the insurance.

Exactly. That's why I do my reservations when I'm on a ship. Princess doesn't take reservations prior to embarkation.

While HAL and Princess do many things in a similar fashion, taking pre-cruise reservations for specialty restaurants varies between the two. If you don't wish to book in advance, don't. :)

Some of us want to be sure we can have a reservation for the day and time we wish and book and pay in advance. We don't have the choice as to whether to pay or not. If we want the ability to reserve in advance those are the terms.

Not all cruise lines to the same things in the same way.

It's HAL insurance and for the TA to add it on to my deposit in December for a cruise the next October, ten months away, is just stupid.

Yes it is. Once you purchase HAL's insurance you cannot get it refunded if you cancel. Years past they would require you to buy it when booking your cruise, but now you don't need to do that until the day of final payment.

Hope you can get your insurance transferred to a new cruise.

Your TA should have known this and made you aware of it before making you pay so far in advance. Shame on them.

Edited by OVgirl

Sadly, insurance premiums are often not refundable. I understand your reluctance to transfer the insurance for a cruise so far off but how long ago did you actually book the cruise/insurance you are cancelling?

I agree your TA should know HAL's insurance terms and should have relayed them to you. You did not have to buy it at the time you made your deposit.

Some third party carriers will not refund the premium or transfer it to another cruise no matter what. Others are more flexible.

Edited by sail7seas

It's HAL insurance and for the TA to add it on to my deposit in December for a cruise the next October, ten months away, is just stupid.

I've never had HAL insurance, but then I've never had the cost of the insurance refunded. That would be a losing proposition for the carrier.

One reason, not necessarily yours, for wanting to buy insurance early is to cover pre-existing conditions. They are often not covered if you don't purchase insurance soon after booking.

[quote name='PatsyAnne']I've never had HAL insurance, but then I've never had the cost of the insurance refunded. That would be a losing proposition for the carrier.

One reason, not necessarily yours, for wanting to buy insurance early is to cover pre-existing conditions. They are often not covered if you don't purchase insurance soon after booking.[/QUOTE]

[B] That's right. Most have a window of up to maybe 21 days or so after placing the first deposit to purchase insurance if you want pre-existing conditions to be covered.

[/B]

No matter when we book it costs us to cancel. I think Europeans book under different conditions also.
We are considering prepaying for restaurants or getting cruise credit as our dollar is currently higher than it has been for months. But we can't decide whether we think it will now go up or down.

[quote name='sail7seas'][B] That's right. Most have a window of up to maybe 21 days or so after placing the first deposit to purchase insurance if you want pre-existing conditions to be covered.

[/B][/quote]

I've never used a cruise line's insurance, so I don't know if HAL offers the pre-existing condition waiver for early payment. The company we generally use wants insurance bought within 2 weeks of first deposit in order to get the waiver. As we get older, that becomes increasingly important to us. The company makes it clear that once we've paid for the insurance, the premium is not refundable.

Silvercruiser, did your TA show the insurance purchase on your paperwork? If it wasn't made clear, perhaps that might give you some leverage in getting him/her to cover some or all of the cost.

I've never heard of transferring insurance. I had no idea that was possible, but it's something I'll check the next time I'm buying insurance.

[quote name='PatsyAnne']I've never had HAL insurance, but then I've never had the cost of the insurance refunded. That would be a losing proposition for the carrier.

One reason, not necessarily yours, for wanting to buy insurance early is to cover pre-existing conditions. They are often not covered if you don't purchase insurance soon after booking.[/QUOTE]

Fortunately, that is no longer true with either HAL or Cunard. You can purchase insurance up to the date of final payment and can cancel for any reason. Does anyone know is this insurance is available throughout the Carnival family?

Here's the quote directly from Holland America's explanation of insurance:
Cancellation fees begin to accure on the date of Final Payment. Sure looks like there's no need to pay upfront 10 months in advance.

The Standard and Platinum Cancellation Protection Polans are optional and are available for purchase [B]prior to the date on which cancallation fees begin to accrue. [/B]Payment is due at time of purchase and is non-refundable

[quote name='3rdGenCunarder']

I've never heard of transferring insurance. I had no idea that was possible, but it's something I'll check the next time I'm buying insurance.[/quote]

I bought travel insurance for a TA cruise that I had to cancel . I called my insurance company ( Roam Right ) and as long as there are no claims against the original insurance they extended my insurance for a year so I can apply it to a future cruise .

[quote name='silvercruiser']Here's the quote directly from Holland America's explanation of insurance:
Cancellation fees begin to accure on the date of Final Payment. Sure looks like there's no need to pay upfront 10 months in advance.

The Standard and Platinum Cancellation Protection Polans are optional and are available for purchase [B]prior to the date on which cancallation fees begin to accrue. [/B]Payment is due at time of purchase and is non-refundable[/quote]

I don't believe the OP mentioned who the insurer was. Any 3rd party insurance would need to be enrolled within a few days of making the reservation and making the deposit.

[quote name='3rdGenCunarder']I've never used a cruise line's insurance, so I don't know if HAL offers the pre-existing condition waiver for early payment. The company we generally use wants insurance bought within 2 weeks of first deposit in order to get the waiver. As we get older, that becomes increasingly important to us. The company makes it clear that once we've paid for the insurance, the premium is not refundable.

Silvercruiser, did your TA show the insurance purchase on your paperwork? If it wasn't made clear, perhaps that might give you some leverage in getting him/her to cover some or all of the cost.

I've never heard of transferring insurance. I had no idea that was possible, but it's something I'll check the next time I'm buying insurance.[/QUOTE]

[B] I never used cruise line coverage either as it really is cancellation insurance but only has $10,000 in medical coverage. For anyone who does not have medical insurance that pays outside the country, that is woefully insufficient. I use a third party insurer.

[/B]

[quote name='dakrewser']I don't believe the OP mentioned who the insurer was. Any 3rd party insurance would need to be enrolled within a few days of making the reservation and making the deposit.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"][COLOR="RoyalBlue"]OP didn't say who the insurance was with, but did say that it wasn't HAL.
3rd party insurance can be purchased at final payment, if not closer to sailing. It does not need to be purchased within a short time after deposit unless you want pre-existing condition coverage. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]