Tendering when independent

CleverScubaCruiser

If you are planning to do an independent excursion (i.e. not one of Oceania's excursions) be aware that those on an O excursion have priority for tender tickets and for tender loading. Independents will be given a color coded tender ticket and will be called after the numbered tickets for a tender if there is space available. For a chance to board an early tender, independents must report to the lounge very early and wait with fingers crossed. On our recent Riviera Caribbean cruise we went to the lounge as early as we could and received our Orange tender tickets. We waited while they boarded two tenders before being called for the third. (Note, this was in Belize and their tenders are much larger than the ship lifeboats.) Due to this delay, we missed our 9:30 flight to Ambergris Key and had to wait 2 hours for the next available one.

There has to be a better (more equitable) way to handle tendering. I understand that Oceania wants to make sure that those on O excursions have timely departures but this should not be at the expense of the rest of us. We have schedules too and should not be treated like second class citizens.

It has always been that way at least since our 1st cruise in 2004

Oceania excursions get priority sometimes if space permits they will send a few independents on the first few tenders

This is more of an issue on the O-class ships rather than the R-class. We had a very long wait in the lounge at the first tender port on our recent Australia/NZ trip....an hour and a half wait. We were in touch with our guide so we just started late. This was aggravating but not critical.

The GM got so many complaints that they adjusted and began sending more independents in the first groups, but we all understood that their excursions always will have priority.

I am very careful to allow extra time in tender ports when I set up private excursions, always figure a way to contact the guides, and wouldn't consider an excursion that could possibly leave without me.

We allow ourselves a buffer of 2 hours on the O ships for tendering because not only are we independents, and aware of the O excursions, but also because the ship can be late to the anchor point, or clearing time or slow tenders due to rough seas etc.... Lots can happen that you can't always plan for. Better to allow the time, than end up frustrated due to a missed excursion. Seen our share of frustrated travelers sitting in the lounge, that missed their trips. Agree that on the R ships, wait time is much less (in our experience), as there are less folks.....

We are almost always independent travelers and we haven't had difficulty getting tenders on Oceania. Often independents may be on first tender while the ship excursion people are assembling. Get there early.

On a couple occasions we spoke to the cruise staff handing out tickets asking to get our independent group out ASAP and we were accommodated.

Likewise, we have not had problems (in general!) on getting onto a tender promptly.

The one exception was in Sorrento when I asked Destinations for advice as to when we should show up to get our tickets and I believed their answer. I shouldn't have, but even so we weren't that late to our private guide. (For the record this was on Marina. We've NEVER had a problem on the smaller ships.)

Mura

Is it perhaps the decision of the cruise director or destination service manager how it's handled?? As independents, we play by the stated rules - go to the lounge early and wait until they hand out tender tickets then sit with our group until our color is called. Never missed the first tender in 7 cruises on a mix of R and O ships.

I too have not had problems as an independent. Arrive as soon as the lounge doors open, make it known to the ticket person you are indep. and you will get on the 1st or 2nd tender.

Also, most reliable tour operators know about delays regarding tenders and will wait for you (there has been a few exceptions). They also keep informed of any ship delays.