Sea Sickness Deck 6

mikem1977

Hello all,

My wife and daughter get really bad motion sickness. Our first cruise on the Fascination we were on Deck 11 forward and my wife was sick half the cruise.

Second cruise on the sunshine we were Deck 2 midship and this was much better. Aside from one night in the AFT Dining room they did really good.

This next cruise we are on the Liberty deck 6 midship. Will there be that much of a motion difference between deck 2 and deck 6. I didn't think there would be that much difference when I booked, but now am going back double thinking.

The movement of the ship is pretty linear. Deck 6 would be about 1/'2 the motion between Deck 2 and Deck 11.

However, forward gets a little more motion than mid-ship.

So, Mid Deck 6 would be a little less than 1/2 way between Mid Deck 2 and Forward Deck 11.

You didn't say if weather was materially different (stormy Deck 11 vs. calm Deck 2).

If your wife had issues with Aft MDR (deck 3/4), I would recommend a low deck.

Unfortunately we are limited to deck 6 only:( when booking as we needed 3 rooms close together and deck 2 did not have that availability.

So what is the point of your post?

Yes, there is more motion on deck 6 than there is on deck 2.

Get a toy boat and put it in the bath tub. Make some waves. What part of the boat is the most stable. Low, middle. Every deck higher is more motion. Front and back adds to it.

No matter the size of a boat, same Principe. Add bad weather and things can really start to get rough.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

DH and I both get motion sickness so we try to stay midship on deck 6 or 7 for the least problems.

We don't just hang around though waiting to feel ill!

We prevent it my taking meds BEFORE we are sick!

There are lots of over the counter things to take so your wife doesn't ever have to suffer!!

I get motion sick very easily (even short car rides) and the best remedy I have tried is the over the counter medication Bonine. One pill lasts 24 hours and best of all no drowsiness! I take one every morning of a cruise. If you haven't tried it yet, it might be worth a try.

I get motion sick very easily (even short car rides) and the best remedy I have tried is the over the counter medication Bonine. One pill lasts 24 hours and best of all no drowsiness! I take one every morning of a cruise. If you haven't tried it yet, it might be worth a try.

Indeed! Either that, or try the patch behind your ear. :)

Just to explain that Bonine is a brand name as is Dramamine II(the non drowsy kind).

Both of those brand name over the counter meds use the same ingredient which is called Meclazine. You can get this generic Meclazine in any pharmacy on land.

In fact that is what they will give you on the ship if you get seasick and go to the infirmary.

Look into getting the patches. It took me 19 years to get my wife on a second cruise (Splendor - eastern Caribbean) , and even then it took friends inviting us to come with them. She was seasick the entire first cruise (Jubilee - Mexican Riviera). And on snorkel boats. The patches worked like a charm. Worked well enough we booked the Dream a couple weeks after getting back.

Unfortunately we are limited to deck 6 only:( when booking as we needed 3 rooms close together and deck 2 did not have that availability.

Can you get cabins on different decks near the same stairwell? Walking up/down a flight (or even the elevator) is not so bad.

I had a Deck 1 cabin right by the elevator. It was a quick ride up to Lido Deck for coffee runs. I thought the location was great.

Sometimes with seasickness pills it helps to start them the night before or at least several hours before you cruise. That trick worked really well for my daughter. The key being that it's easier to prevent it than it is to stop it once it starts.

I deal with seasickness/motion sickness and I've sailed decks 2, 6. 7, and 8, all midship and I haven't noticed anything out of the ordinary. Of all the decks we've been, I would say that Deck 2 , Cove Balcony, is my all time favorite cabin!! I hope to get to sail on one that had that again soon. HTH!!

We buy Walmart Equate Brand motion sickness pills. We were on the Big Red Boat years ago and went thru a hurricane. All 5 of my family did not get sick about the only ones on the cruise that didn't. We did start taking 2 days in advance to get in our system. As the ships have gotten larger I no longer take any medicine, we just make sure the grandchildren do.

I'll chime in support for both meclizine and scopolamine patches, and not waiting until you feel sick to medicate--for me that's too late. I get motion sick on car rides over 45 minutes, so I'm pretty sensitive. Meclizine is over the counter and cheap--I pay less than $3 for an 8 pack of the generic in Ohio. Although they are supposed to last 24 hours, sometimes I need them every 12 if it's bad and I'm not wearing a patch.

More often, I get the prescription patches from my doctor. They are pricey...I just refilled my prescription for a box of 10 and it was $40 with my above-average insurance. Each patch lasts 72 hours, though. I put it on the night before I fly out (flying can make me sick, too), and will go through 3 patches with a flight + 7-day cruise. Always bring extras in case one falls off while snorkeling or something. Usually they stick well enough, but I've lost them before. I have been known to pop a meclizine on top of a patch on a particularly rough day. I can't drink when I do that, but I don't tend to want to drink if I'm motion sick, anyway. I do have a few drinks/day with the patches, and don't notice any side effects, though there are warning about mixing scopolamine and alcohol.

On our upcoming cruise, we're deck 10 foward, and in the past this has been fine with a patch, even though I can feel the motion.

You have already discovered the best deck for those who get seasick is the lowest passenger deck amidships. My wife gets seasick in the bathtub so picking a cabin is fairly important. We normally get an outside on deck 2 as close to the middle of the ship as possible. We're going on the Dream soon and have a Cove and she should be fine there.

Keep in mind that if you take Bonine or any other remedy like that the secret is to start taking it the day before you cruise. If that doesn't help you can go to medical and they can give you a "magic" shot that will take care of it. My wife and daughter had that shot when we went to Bermuda and they were fine after that.

Edited by Cushing985

I was on an NCL cruise about 15 years ago. It was a little rough and my friend had a patch on. We met some guys on the ship (lifelong friends now). One is a doctor who reached over and took my friends patch off of her without warning. He told her that was why she was so sleepy and asked her if she was feeling temper mental at all. She said a little shorter than normal. Later we then went to his room (a few doors down) and he gave her a few Non-drowsy Dramamine and some ginger capsules. Did the trick! And that is what I now give my kids/friends starting the day before we sail. I only keep up the ginger daily unless it starts to get rough. His suggestion. I have never had one of the people in my large groups get super sick since! Ginger is available at Walmart!

Thank you everyone for the tips/tricks and pointers. She did use the scop patch on the Sunshine cruise which probably helped out a lot :) but she didn't put it on till after we boarded the ship. So i think she will just put it on the day before now and take some ginger capsules.

I wish there was a cove balcony on Liberty because I would be fighting to get down to deck 2. But that will be next year on the Breeze

I tend to get motion sickness as do my kids. We have been using a product called Motion-eze. It is a small glass bottle of liquid, oil-like. We purchased at Walmart under $6 and the small bottle last my family of 3 the whole cruise.

You just place a few drops behind your ear. You can place it before you start feeling queazy or as soon as you start feeling queazy and it still seems to work.

Our latest cruises have been on deck 9 & deck 7. Defiantly more motion the higher you go and the forward cabin cause me more sickness then the middle. HTH.

Edited by ccw2891

Ok so maybe you all can help me. I do get seasick, (front, back, side you name it). Last cruise I took Dramamine at night so I would be....ok for the day. I just booked my cruise and I have my first inside. However I want a 4J but its in the front of the ship and I hear you feel things more and I don't wanna be Debbie Downer in a room where I get natural light but I can't leave it because I'm feeling icky.

Would the non drowsy Dramamine and ginger tablets help and I should be my own upsell fairy and get the 4J?

Always take Bonine starting about 2 days before we leave. I take it at night before I go to sleep. I don't know why but even the non-drowsy Dramamine knocks me out...I know same ingredient but maybe the different fillers...not sure why. If seas are calm and I don't have any snorkel excursions I will stop taking somewhere in the middle of the cruise.

Ok so maybe you all can help me. I do get seasick, (front, back, side you name it). Last cruise I took Dramamine at night so I would be....ok for the day. I just booked my cruise and I have my first inside. However I want a 4J but its in the front of the ship and I hear you feel things more and I don't wanna be Debbie Downer in a room where I get natural light but I can't leave it because I'm feeling icky.

Would the non drowsy Dramamine and ginger tablets help and I should be my own upsell fairy and get the 4J?

No one can predict how you will react to an OTC med. They can just say what their experience was, and that or may not correlate to your own.

You will feel more motion the more forward you go. Is there some way you can test how the dramamine might work for you?

Say go for a car ride on a twisty road but take the meds prior to see if they work?