potato chips and candy: butler

luckyinpa

I stayed in a 2br suite a number of years ago and I don't recall asking the butler for anything actually. In our Disney suite we had lunch delivered once.

We sail again in 10 days, also in a 2br suite. Now that they have the Nespresso machines, I'll ask for half and half. I'll probably ask for a pitcher of iced tea for each day, ice, and now that I know about it M&Ms. I do recall them delivering snacks in the afternoon on our previous cruise, and I likely will mention that we would prefer savory to sweet. I don't anticipate calling the concierge at all. I will ask them to make up the second bed even though there are only two of us....one will be the snoring room.

That's the extent of what I want, and expect. I like to be left alone on vacation, and pampering often feels like an intrusion to me. To each his own.

I stayed in a 2br suite a number of years ago and I don't recall asking the butler for anything actually. In our Disney suite we had lunch delivered once.

We sail again in 10 days, also in a 2br suite. Now that they have the Nespresso machines, I'll ask for half and half. I'll probably ask for a pitcher of iced tea for each day, ice, and now that I know about it M&Ms. I do recall them delivering snacks in the afternoon on our previous cruise, and I likely will mention that we would prefer savory to sweet. I don't anticipate calling the concierge at all. I will ask them to make up the second bed even though there are only two of us....one will be the snoring room.

That's the extent of what I want, and expect. I like to be left alone on vacation, and pampering often feels like an intrusion to me. To each his own.

We use a helpful technique we read here on CruiseCritic (wish I could claim it!).

We have a printed letter ("Greetings to Our Butler"...), just a short page, with a slight intro to "us" and listing preferences or dislikes.

Keep in mind that the Butler wants to make you happy (it's a service position, so that's a given - or should be... - and there is always the background "tips" issue, of course).

So we want to make it easy for all of us.

We list the types of treats/snacks we'd enjoy, and any that we don't (we prefer fruits, cheese, and not sweets/candies, for example).

In our case, we tell him/her to enter if they wish even if there is a Privacy sign up; if we really don't want to be disturbed, we'll lock the door.

That way, the treats can arrive if we are napping or on the balcony; coffee can arrive if we are still sleeping in the morning, or breakfast can be our "wake up" call, etc.

Thus far, each time, the Butler has returned later (usually early the next day), letter in hand, wanting a few more details so they better understand.

So in your case, in addition to mentioning snack preferences, you could request that they call first before showing up at your door, for example.

The Butler may have other suggestions about how to arrange it, from various experiences with previous passengers.

The Steward is the one who would be making up the beds.

(We also have a shorter note for the Steward, and make a point of meeting personally.)

And although we've made wonderful use of the Butler's services, we rarely use the Concierge, other than assistance with expedited exiting the ship, and that is very much appreciated.

Your goal is to make it work for *you*, while still availing yourselves of whatever you would enjoy.

So... enjoy! :)

Cool idea. We do something similar when we travel on Carnival....we leave a $20 bill and a post it note on our cooler asking for ice, lol! I thought I remembered the steward taking direction from the butler, but it's been a long time ago, so I'm probably mistaken. These days I rarely ever see a steward!

If you think they keep a stockpile of every single chip and candy ever created just in case someone requests it, then you are living in LalaLand.

OP books a Haven cabin yet in another thread about what changes you would like to see at NCL, she says she wants a bare bones price. Very telling...

You just gave me a good reason to maybe upgrade to a 2br. A snore room for the DH. :D

You just gave me a good reason to maybe upgrade to a 2br. A snore room for the DH. :D

Snore rooms should be a standard cabin option- way too many of us who deal with this issue! We too book the two bedroom suites bc of DH's snoring.

We did the Haven a few weeks ago, it was me, my mom & sister. I have never had a butler before and we weren't sure what to do with him LOL

He was very nice & introduced himself on the first day and explained what he could help with. The biggest thing was showing us how to use the Lavazza machine. :D He brought snacks daily and one day said that he saw we didn't eat the sandwiches so he brought us X instead. I told him we liked the fruit and mom liked the chocolates so that was pretty much what he left us after that.

Anyway to the question at hand, they only have specific snack/items available, so you need to stick with those for your requests. If you ask for something and they don't have it, they'll tell you.

And yes that bath thing is real - the $500 one with the champagne cracked me

It is not at all weird or even unusual to make a request like that to the butler. Odds are the butler is not going to ask you what special requests you have. If you are lucky enough to get a good butler, once you make your requests, they will be able to do other special things for you based on learning more about you. Gummi bears (and M & M's) are a common request. Think of the things you would enjoy on your cruise that would make it extra special. You ARE paying extra to make your experience special. Some examples are cream (instead of half and half) for the coffee, orange juice (to make mimosas with your included "sparkling wine") chocolate milk, a preference for sweets or savory for the daily snack they bring, etc.

I told this to my hubby and now he wants cold milk and cookies. We don't drink coffee or and I rarely drink alcohol... (I drink rarely, and if I do it will be of the froofroo fruit types) I like tea and with cream ...delightful. At home i snack on more on things like fruit, cheese, nuts...and hubby likes more junk food stuff.(cookies, chips popcorn etc.) sounds like we will be very full on this trip! Lol!

When we were on our Getaway sailing in January.....the weather was dreary, windy and at times rainy. We hunkered down in our suite and our butler brought us pots of hot chocolate! I think you will find that a conscientious butler will have no problem bringing your DH cold milk and cookies..and bringing you a pot of tea with cream as well!

Any cruise I have been on I take a goodie bag for cabin steward, waiting staff and bar staff with a thank you card - goes a long way you doing something for them - I also ask if they are not going ashore if they require anything to be brought back

Last year at Easter I handed out Easter eggs to the crew on Easter Sunday - one member took a photo and sent to his daughter - letting her know the Easter bunny had visited him - that is worth more than money and a memory his daughter and him will have forever - guess what on my wedding anniversary a bottle of champagne was put on our table in the bar