Anchorage Car Rentals

txwriter

I know there are several threads with some information, but I'm looking for specific pricing information on Anchorage car rentals (what people paid and when they booked). I'll be traveling May 2017 into Anchorage then driving a DIY tour in and around the ANC area as well as the Kenai Peninsula. We will be picking up the car in Anchorage and will return it there as well.

Here's what I'm looking for from those of you who are traveling this year (or if you traveled in 2015 and still have this information available because you're like me a love to plan and keep records:)):

1. When did you book your car (time of year or month)?

2. Where will you pick up (airport or in town)?

3. Drop off location?

4. What size?

5. Company used?

6. Daily rate?

I know the general reasoning is that fall is the best time to book, but I'm also seeing some who've posted getting great rates in the spring. Besides, I need something to do besides twiddle my thumbs between now and the time airline tickets and most hotels become available. Thanks for the help.

I've made reservations at Enterprise for 3 different years. Their best rate has been at the Int'l Airport Rd office, very close to the airport.

I made the reservations in July and Aug for the NEXT summer. I diligently watched their rental calendar for my dates to open up. I reserved a minivan one year and an economy the other 2. I was upgraded both times on the economy. I haven't rented recently because I RV'd or used someone's car, but last summer an economy car was $175 for a week. I don't think they have a special rate for daily, but for the cost of a week you're better off renting for 7 days and returning the car early.

Even tho they had the best rate, I still checked other vendors. But reserving so early, no one else could beat their price.

I've made reservations at Enterprise for 3 different years. Their best rate has been at the Int'l Airport Rd office, very close to the airport.

I made the reservations in July and Aug for the NEXT summer. I diligently watched their rental calendar for my dates to open up. I reserved a minivan one year and an economy the other 2. I was upgraded both times on the economy. I haven't rented recently because I RV'd or used someone's car, but last summer an economy car was $175 for a week. I don't think they have a special rate for daily, but for the cost of a week you're better off renting for 7 days and returning the car early.

Even tho they had the best rate, I still checked other vendors. But reserving so early, no one else could beat their price.

Thanks. When I said daily rate, I didn't mean renting just for the day but the average daily rate, so say $200/week would be about $29 per day.

I have a couple of questions about the Enterprise location. How do you get from airport to can rental location? Did you take a taxi, a shuttle, did they pick you up? Also, does Enterprise allow for travel on non-paved roads?

I took a cab ... less than 5 miles from the airport.

They didn't allow cars on unpaved roads, ie Denali Hwy, Hatcher

Pass, Dalton Hwy. I know that people do so, but with my luck, I'd get a cracked windshield.

Call them if you have a specific drive in mind. Things can change.

I was surprised that our RV rental allowed some unpaved hwys so call to verify.

I took a cab ... less than 5 miles from the airport.

They didn't allow cars on unpaved roads, ie Denali Hwy, Hatcher

Pass, Dalton Hwy. I know that people do so, but with my luck, I'd get a cracked windshield.

Call them if you have a specific drive in mind. Things can change.

I was surprised that our RV rental allowed some unpaved hwys so call to verify.

Your luck and mine sound about the same. :)

• 3 months later...

I booked a car for a one day rental in Anchorage. I booked in March 2016 for a rental in August 2016. Economy car. $74 all in. Base rate was $63. The extra $$ was for taxes and their "fees." I didn't buy any insurance etc. Used Avis. Pickup and drop off in downtown. The ship provides a shuttle to downtown. We have the car from 8:30 AM to 8:30 PM. Avis allows for after hours drop off.

I realize you need a car for longer than one day, so I'm sure my "one" day rate is much higher than for a week, etc. But my 12 hour rate boils down to about $6 an hour. Not bad.

But you asked, so I'm sharing.

I book in the early fall, and multiple times has been with Enterprise, downtown. Rates have been $200/week or less, without the taxes. Over many years, this has been the case.

Early or late is usually my best/better rates. Later bookings, I've had my good rates with Alamo and Thrifty. Daily rates are higher then weekly but in the past, have been less than $75- always. Have gotten some less than $50

Thanks. When I said daily rate, I didn't mean renting just for the day but the average daily rate, so say $200/week would be about $29 per day.

I have a couple of questions about the Enterprise location. How do you get from airport to can rental location? Did you take a taxi, a shuttle, did they pick you up? Also, does Enterprise allow for travel on non-paved roads?

I've walked there from my downtown hotels, after taking a hotel shuttle from the airport.

NO, none of the regular rental companies will allow you to drive your listed roads. When I do that, I rent from an independent, several allow it, AFTER making sure the approval is written in my contract.

IF you are thinking of the Dalton, I only recommend using an approved vendor out of Fairbanks- who has the car "remote" supplied (CB radio, 2 tires etc etc)

I started looking at rental car rates in September 2013 for our June 2014 cruise and I "accidently" stumbled across a rate of $10/day for a compact car from Budget (at the airport) in Anchorage! I booked IMMEDIATELY! In fact, I made two reservations of different lengths initially because our post-cruise plans weren't totally firm at that point.

I was nervous that when we picked up the car they would inform us that the rate was a mistake, but other than the flabbergasted Budget employees, it went without a hitch.

My advice...just find the best deal you can and book it...then keep watching prices. I'm pretty sure the rate we got was probably a glitch, but they did honor it!

Our plans were similar to what you hope to do. The cruise ended in Whittier so we took a shuttle to Anchorage, rented the car, and then drove back south to Seward where we spent a few days. Our return flight didn't leave Anchorage until around midnight so it was nice having the car all day on that last day.

Best of luck to you on your planning. Our cruise was to have been a "once in a lifetime" trip, but we will be going back again in May 2017 as well! This time we are doing a 14-day cruise that stops at the usual ports plus some more obscure places...and also includes three major glaciers! Can't wait!! :)