Trying to decide between smaller cruise line or bigger one for Western Europe cruise.

knitwit66

Mostly, first time cruisers going on a girls trip from Barcelona to Rome to celebrate 50th birthday. I'm leaning towards a smaller more intimate experience but would welcome any thoughts about choosing a larger ship with more amenities. Any thoughts?

It comes down to your personal preferences for activities. Also, will your cruise be port intensive? If so, at least for us there is less need for organized activities. We tend NOT to be interested in many of the amenities offered on larger ships anyway.

Mura

Edited by Mura

I prefer the smaller ships with less line ups

if you are looking for vegas style shows & party type atmosphere Oceania is not for you

it is a personal choice

Compare the amenities on Oceania & the3 larger ships & pick the one that ticks most of your must have boxes

JMO

What the two ladies before me are saying is true, which is to say that on bigger ships you will get a larger variety of activity and entertainment, and that sailing on one of the 3000+ passenger Mass Market behemoths bumps up the entertainment factor exponentially.

It's also true that a mass market cruise will probably work out to be significantly cheaper.

You'll need to balance those facts against the superior food and service on Oceania, along with the reality that if you are off the ship all day sightseeing, after dinner entertainment sometimes loses it allure....particularly if tomorrows' tour starts early as well ;)

It should also be noted that if you choose one of Oceania's smaller ships, there is something very unique and club-like about sailing with 600 others, as opposed to a far larger group.

The take I get on Oceania is that its target passenger are well traveled couples looking for low key enjoyment and fine dining. As a "girls trip " for a 50th I would not think O would be good to celebrate and party on... Id go with someone like Celebrity. Id avoid HAL because of its market focus is all on older "past" passengers.