Cadiz & Cartagena

sianjane1

Hi,

We have excursions booked for our cruise in September but as yet don't have anything for Cadiz and Cartagena. We were thinking of leaving those until nearer the time but can anyone tell me if it is possible just to have a look round and perhaps go to the beach on these without booking an excursion for this.

I've been told everything g is close by and not to worry with excursions at these ports but it would be good to get advice for people who have actually been there.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

We have done our own thing in both - Cadiz we caught the hop on hop of bus and Cartagena the Roman theatre is a couple of minutes walk from the ship. Both are really easy to navigate on your own as you dock right in the town with no concerns about making it back.

We just walked off the ship in Cadiz and wandered around the town. Lots of little back streets with some really nice shops. There is a beach which I guess would be a 15-20min walk,( I'm sure someone else will know exactly). Haven't done Cartagena so sorry can't help you there.

Cadiz has lovely places to walk, a beach, a cathedral, beautiful fish and tapas restaurants etc. You can do your own thing or has been suggested use the hop on hop off for orientation - it picks up right at the port gates.

Cartagena has some really good museums the Spanish Civil War museum in the tunnels is fascinating , hearing how people were forced to live and about the communist influences is something I never did in history. If you did want a tour then I can recommend the Segway tour (if they are still doing it) as it takes you to all the places of interest with commentry and includes a visit to this museum in the cost. Really good trip IMO, segways were great fun.

There is also the Pearl submarine / aquatic and the Roman theatre all within a few minutes of the port. Also shops etc which are nice to wander.

Hi,

We have excursions booked for our cruise in September but as yet don't have anything for Cadiz and Cartagena. We were thinking of leaving those until nearer the time but can anyone tell me if it is possible just to have a look round and perhaps go to the beach on these without booking an excursion for this.

I've been told everything g is close by and not to worry with excursions at these ports but it would be good to get advice for people who have actually been there.

Thanks

When we docked in Cadiz representatives from the tourist board came onto the ship and handed out very good maps, with four walking routes marked. These are purple, green, orange and blue, if memory serves, and the route is painted on the ground from right outside the port gates. One (blue, I think) takes you round the outside of the town, with sea views and some very nice park areas. Another (purple) takes you through the old merchants' quarter, with lovely old buildings, etc. They intersect at various points so you can do one on its own or bits of each. As lorrdean said, lots of very nice shops. We were there on a Sunday and it was lovely walking around - the streets had just been washed, the town hadn't really woken up, everything was quiet so we got to see everything in peace. Shops opened about 11, although my daughter was gutted that a very nice shoe shop was one of the few that didn't. There's also a square near the port with several bars/restaurants around it. Recommend the one on the bottom right as you're facing down the square towards the sea (think it had red awnings). Not a tourist trap and friendly service.

In Cartagena we followed Tom's Port Guide walking tour. We passed the Roman Forum and continued the walk until we came to the lift. Even if you don't want to visit the Roman Theatre, take the lift for €1 and go to the square at the top. Great views of Cartagena and the ampitheatre. Shortly after this we were back at the starting point of our walk. By this time the streets had come to life with music, market stalls and outdoor tables, so we visited the shops, cafes and walked some more. No need for an excursion here.

As others have said both are easy to do.

Cadiz is lovely to wander round and the cathedral is very nice. Lots of nice cafés in the square to have a coffee and people watch.

In Cartegena if you turn right you will come to the lift up to the Castle and if you turn left, you will come to the town centre from where you can access the amphitheatre, which is tucked away up some steps

Have you seen this wesite?

http://www.whatsinport.com/

As others have said, both are very easy to do in a morning on your own, and you can decide whether or not to have tapas and wine/coffee ashore or return to the ship.

In Cadiz if you do the seaside walk first you can return via the Cathedral and the town which is the best of both worlds. Take one of the offered maps, but it's hard to get lost!

Sadly, missed out on Cadiz on our cruise last year due to weather. As others have said, Cartagena is absolutely do-able on your own. We took an excursion and it was pretty clear within 5 minutes of being on the bus that we could easily have done it on foot... and most likely beat the bus!

In Cartagena we followed Tom's Port Guide walking tour. We passed the Roman Forum and continued the walk until we came to the lift. Even if you don't want to visit the Roman Theatre, take the lift for €1 and go to the square at the top. Great views of Cartagena and the ampitheatre. Shortly after this we were back at the starting point of our walk. By this time the streets had come to life with music, market stalls and outdoor tables, so we visited the shops, cafes and walked some more. No need for an excursion here.

We did the same and didn't regret it. Great way of seeing Roman Cartegena. Buy a ticket at the first exhibit that you come across (in our case the roman house towards the back-end of the walk), this then lets you in to another two or three roman ruin areas free of charge including the castle and the amphitheatre. I think the ticket cost us 12 euros.

As for Cadiz. We followed one of the coloured walking routes (pick up the map in the Tourist Office in the cruise terminal). this took us over the causeway to the fort then we made our way back in town via a small intimate 'village square' where we stopped off for a drink and to people watch. Then onto the main square for another drink and more people watching.

Two places that I would have no problem going back to.

Hi,

Thanks

Hello Sian.

You may find a review I wrote on Cartagena useful. It really is easy to do...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2015/08/07/one-way-to-do-cartagena/

18614357613_856782dc6e_z.jpg