Alaska Land/Sea 20 Day (May 2017) - Advice Appreciated

lastlook

We're considering the longest HAL (20 day) land/sea combination in May of next year with another couple who have never cruised. The cruise portion of this itinerary would take place in early June, since we would do the land portion first.

It appears that the two ships that will be doing this itinerary will be the Zaandam and the Noordam. We've been on the Noordam, and have been on the same class ship as the Zaandam, so have some idea of what that ship would be like as well. I am aware of the difference in passenger capacity, and the age of the two ships.

I'd be interested in comments/advice in choosing between the two ships by those of you who have cruised with HAL in Alaska.

Also, have any of you stayed in one of the verandah cabins near/next to the Crows Nest on the Noordam? Too far forward? Balcony too small? (I like the idea of the convenience to the Crows Nest.)

Have any of you experienced a Retreat Cabana in early June in Alaska? (Noordam has them but Zaandam does not.) I realize that weather varies from year to year, but am wondering if it is generally too windy at sea in Alaska to be on that top level of the ship where the Retreat Cabanas were installed on the Noordam? We would dress in layers for warmth, but if it is always windy, it would not be worth it to us. (We've had a Retreat Cabana on the Noordam, in the Caribbean, so do like them for warm weather cruises.)

Naturally, we'd like to make this first cruising/HAL experience a really good one for our friends, so that is another consideration in choosing between the two ships.

Thanks, in advance, for your thoughts/comments/advice.

We're considering the longest HAL (20 day) land/sea combination in May of next year with another couple who have never cruised. The cruise portion of this itinerary would take place in early June, since we would do the land portion first.

It appears that the two ships that will be doing this itinerary will be the Zaandam and the Noordam. We've been on the Noordam, and have been on the same class ship as the Zaandam, so have some idea of what that ship would be like as well. I am aware of the difference in passenger capacity, and the age of the two ships.

I'd be interested in comments/advice in choosing between the two ships by those of you who have cruised with HAL in Alaska.

Also, have any of you stayed in one of the verandah cabins near/next to the Crows Nest on the Noordam? Too far forward? Balcony too small? (I like the idea of the convenience to the Crows Nest.)

Have any of you experienced a Retreat Cabana in early June in Alaska? (Noordam has them but Zaandam does not.) I realize that weather varies from year to year, but am wondering if it is generally too windy at sea in Alaska to be on that top level of the ship where the Retreat Cabanas were installed on the Noordam? We would dress in layers for warmth, but if it is always windy, it would not be worth it to us. (We've had a Retreat Cabana on the Noordam, in the Caribbean, so do like them for warm weather cruises.)

Naturally, we'd like to make this first cruising/HAL experience a really good one for our friends, so that is another consideration in choosing between the two ships.

If at all possible I would HIGHLY suggest you do the cruise portion first and the land portion last. Otherwise the roads through Denali will be snowbound and you will likely be able to go only halfway. As a rule of thumb they generally snowplow and clear the park road into Denali by the 31st of May.

If at all possible I would HIGHLY suggest you do the cruise portion first and the land portion last. Otherwise the roads through Denali will be snowbound and you will likely be able to go only halfway. As a rule of thumb they generally snowplow and clear the park road into Denali by the 31st of May.

Thanks very much. That steers me toward the Noordam then as the May departure date for the Noordam is May 30th (as opposed to May 23rd with the Zaandam.)

I would go with the Noordam for myself and for the newbies. From what I read on CC and what I have experienced personally the Vista ships are better taken care of, have better food and are just a bit nicer because they are newer. HAL seems to be spending more on the newer ships and letting the older ships go somewhat.

We've been on the Zaandam (cruise tour May 2012) and the Zuiderdam (same class as Noordam for a September cruise). I'd take either one of them again. It would boil down to the actual itinerary.

We did the land portion first, followed by the cruise. Had no issues with snow, but did have some pretty heavy rain the day we toured Denali.

I would definitely do the land portion first. It will be quite intensive without any flexibility in schedule. After the land portion the cruise portion will be so very relaxing you will be rejuvenated. At least that was my experience.

I would go with the Noordam for myself and for the newbies. From what I read on CC and what I have experienced personally the Vista ships are better taken care of, have better food and are just a bit nicer because they are newer. HAL seems to be spending more on the newer ships and letting the older ships go somewhat.

People CURRENTLY on the Zaandam do not agree:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2332107

Roy

I would definitely do the land portion first. It will be quite intensive without any flexibility in schedule. After the land portion the cruise portion will be so very relaxing you will be rejuvenated. At least that was my experience.

Thank you - that is the plan so that we can relax on the cruise portion of the trip after the busy land portion. Since the itinerary which utilizes the Noordam begins on May 30th, hopefully we'll be able to fully access Denali that first week of June, and then will enjoy the cruise back to Vancouver.

Thank you - that is the plan so that we can relax on the cruise portion of the trip after the busy land portion. Since the itinerary which utilizes the Noordam begins on May 30th, hopefully we'll be able to fully access Denali that first week of June, and then will enjoy the cruise back to Vancouver.

This was me in Denali on Jun 1st, 2012 (during one of the breaks in the rain).

2em1mw1.jpg[/img]

Thanks very much. That steers me toward the Noordam then as the May departure date for the Noordam is May 30th (as opposed to May 23rd with the Zaandam.)

We're doing the Noordam cruise on May 29, 2016 and this will be our third cruise to Alaska.. all done with land tour last. Another reason to consider Noordam is the entertainment. Noordam has a cast of 40 singers and dancers PLUS the BB King All-stars (not to be missed!!). On our last booking we did a private whale tour on a catamaran from Juneau and were surrounded by 30 orcas on a feeding frenzy. In Ketchikan we book a private king salmon fishing trip and that comes in at just $140 per person with a pickup and drop off at the cruise port. Afterwards they will clean and pack your fish for shipment back to your home after you return from the cruise. Great fun!

We're doing the Noordam cruise on May 29, 2016 and this will be our third cruise to Alaska.. all done with land tour last. Another reason to consider Noordam is the entertainment. Noordam has a cast of 40 singers and dancers PLUS the BB King All-stars (not to be missed!!). On our last booking we did a private whale tour on a catamaran from Juneau and were surrounded by 30 orcas on a feeding frenzy. In Ketchikan we book a private king salmon fishing trip and that comes in at just $140 per person with a pickup and drop off at the cruise port. Afterwards they will clean and pack your fish for shipment back to your home after you return from the cruise. Great fun!

Loved the BB King group last time on the Noordam (Caribbean) - and both excursions you've experienced in Alaska appeal to me as well. Many thanks for your input.