Large Group in Blu

cruising_Bif

It seems that the Blu dining room might deter large groups from booking Aqua Class, as I'm assuming it's less likely to get seated together. Does anybody have any experience with this? I suppose the best option would be to split into tables of 4 or 6, but I'm not sure even how large the tables are in Blu.

Also, what are the benefits of Blu other than (supposedly) better food? Is the service better? What about drink service? We are looking at the Silhouette or Summit, if that makes a difference.

Recently off the Solstice in Blu and there were 2 round tables that could accommodate 6 and a another additional round table that may be able to accommodate 8.

We have found service in Blu to be better than the MDR and more personalized. It is normally quieter than the main dining room but on a recent cruise there were a couple of evenings where there were 3 groups of six seated in the same area. Apparently they were traveling together and so they were talking among & between tables and became loud-so the quietness or loudness can vary.

I can't comment on drink service as we only drink wine with dinner. We have had excellent service from the sommelier.

When we were on the Summit in October, several large groups were accommodated at round tables.

While reservations are not taken, I would speak to the maitre'd the first night onboard, express your desires and ask his advice. He may suggest a good time for your group to show up or reserve a table for you.

You could also check with him or the hostess in the morning. The maitre'd makes sure to speak with everyone during the meal so in the morning he/she may have an idea of when Blu will not be to busy to accommodate your group.

Trust me from what I have seen the staff at Blu will work with you to make your dining experience (and the rest of the guests) a wonderful one.

No reservations in Blu but you could talk to the maitre d' and agree about a certain time and place to meet with your group. I'm not promising that would guarantee you what you want, nor will the maitre d' likely be able to give you guarantees, but if you indeed show up at the same time with your group, you stand a good shot. Part of the nice thing about Blu and Luminae is not having the set schedule. When we ate in Blu we were all over the map as far as when we ate. Never had a problem getting a table (and we were suite guests eating in Blu on the space-available basis).

We found Blu MUCH better than the MDR. They can customize your meal whereas it's really difficult in the MDR - which is very obvious if you have been on a galley tour in a small group. For example, if you want a generous serving of broccoli it's really easy for them to do this. If you want fresh berries as a side, or whatever floats your boat, they will do everything possible to accommodate. I'm not talking about just ordering from the main dining room menu. Some things might need a day's notice, but simple things like that, sure. So much easier to cook for and serve just a couple hundred as opposed to a couple thousand!

Some are put off a bit by the menu descriptions. Don't let that dissuade you, as the actual dishes are great. We liked a couple of the starters/appetizers so well on occasion that we asked if we could have some the next night, or in a larger portion as an entree. No problem.

Bar service is fine in Blu, but like the other poster above me, we rarely have cocktails at dinner, just wine.

Does Blu take reservations? It would be nice to reserve X-amount of seats in the same area at the same time every night of the cruise.

Well, the intent of Blu is to NOT have to make a reservation. If groups want a reservation then they could always take a cabin that has the Main Dining Room assigned, or speak when the Maitre d' upon boarding and request the MDR.

Given that the staff at Blue only have a few days to get to know you and your preferences, they tend to do a good job, especially with larger groups. We've dined with groups up to 8, and usually wound up at the same table with the same servers.

On our last cruise there was a large group that was really loud, and a couple of the group's members were seriously drunk the first few nights - and quite obnoxious. By about the third night they were seated at a table way in the far corner because I suspect there may have been some complaints. So in that case they weren't at the same table or with the same servers all week. I'm not saying that your group would be loud/obnoxious, but just indicating that there are no firm assignments of tables.

No reservations in Blu but you could talk to the maitre d' and agree about a certain time and place to meet with your group. I'm not promising that would guarantee you what you want, nor will the maitre d' likely be able to give you guarantees, but if you indeed show up at the same time with your group, you stand a good shot. Part of the nice thing about Blu and Luminae is not having the set schedule. When we ate in Blu we were all over the map as far as when we ate. Never had a problem getting a table (and we were suite guests eating in Blu on the space-available basis).

We found Blu MUCH better than the MDR. They can customize your meal whereas it's really difficult in the MDR - which is very obvious if you have been on a galley tour in a small group. For example, if you want a generous serving of broccoli it's really easy for them to do this. If you want fresh berries as a side, or whatever floats your boat, they will do everything possible to accommodate. I'm not talking about just ordering from the main dining room menu. Some things might need a day's notice, but simple things like that, sure. So much easier to cook for and serve just a couple hundred as opposed to a couple thousand!

Some are put off a bit by the menu descriptions. Don't let that dissuade you, as the actual dishes are great. We liked a couple of the starters/appetizers so well on occasion that we asked if we could have some the next night, or in a larger portion as an entree. No problem.

Bar service is fine in Blu, but like the other poster above me, we rarely have cocktails at dinner, just wine.

Have actually found no difference in being able to get accommodations in the menu in either MDR or Blu. Have had a plate of vegetables offered nightly after a request as well as appetizers made of whatever quantity desired. Actually is not harder to cook for about 800 each dinner seating compared to 300-400 who eat in Blu each night arriving at different times. Sounds like it should but as few in the MDR make specific requests it is easy. What is not easy is to accommodate those changes in either venue. It greatly slows the serving process.

On our last cruise there was a large group that was really loud, and a couple of the group's members were seriously drunk the first few nights - and quite obnoxious. By about the third night they were seated at a table way in the far corner because I suspect there may have been some complaints. So in that case they weren't at the same table or with the same servers all week. I'm not saying that your group would be loud/obnoxious, but just indicating that there are no firm assignments of tables.

We were on a B2B2B series on the Equinox last fall, and I wonder if Janine was on one of those legs! The first two of those legs were in an Aqua stateroom and both of those cruises had an unusual number of large groups, with one of the groups rather difficult for Blu staff!

One of the members of one of the large groups tried to argue with the Blu seating hostess that they merited a reservation, but she held firm to the Blu policy of no reservations.

But I really posted to comment that we've been in Blu on both M-class and S-class ships, and while we prefer Blu over the MDR on any class of ship we actually prefer Blu on the M-class ships over Blu on the S-class ships.

We are just home from a cruise on the Silhouette and there were a couple of tables set up in Blu for 8 and 10. Never noticed the group of 8, we must not have crossed paths, but once they knew how many people would be dining together they seemed to hold those large tables for only those groups.

I would imagine that if they had a lot of large groups that might change but I'm sure they'd find another way to accommodate your group.

The one consistent thing about Blu is that they'll work their tails off to do whatever is needed to make things work for you. Communicate with them - what you want, when changes happen etc and they'll make your trip an easy one.

It seems that the Blu dining room might deter large groups from booking Aqua Class, as I'm assuming it's less likely to get seated together. Does anybody have any experience with this? I suppose the best option would be to split into tables of 4 or 6, but I'm not sure even how large the tables are in Blu.

Also, what are the benefits of Blu other than (supposedly) better food? Is the service better? What about drink service? We are looking at the Silhouette or Summit, if that makes a difference.

Service and food for most is better, smaller venue with more made to order foods. Some of the meat dishes are also better cuts of meat.

I hope that you do realize that only those in AQ and Suites can eat in Blu. Anyone in your party not booked in one of those cabin categories will not be permitted in Blu and this is one thing Celebrity is actually strict about.

We had six couples who met up for dinner in Blu, that by the end of the cruise kept lining up for dinner together, and Staff just pushed the two top tables together and we had one long table for 12 people by the window