Inside versus OV - Opinions?

A more complicated question than it sounds! :)

I am booked in an interior stateroom on deck 7 on the Indy transatlantic cruise in a month. I got a fabulous rate on the room. I have stayed in all categories before and was hoping to upgrade myself as the price dropped, to either a promenade or a balcony.

Fast forward to today - there was a price drop on ocean views and they're now less than I paid. Being that it's after final payment, I wouldn't get any sort of refund, but could move at the same rate.

The catches? I would lose my $150OBC (which almost covers my full gratuities for the 13 nights!), and they only have rooms available on deck 2 (I wanted deck 3). I don't want to move down to deck 2 for various reasons including the engine noise and proximity to the waves (I was on the Anthem "washing machine windows in the storm" cruise), as well as the distance from most of the ship's public areas.

Other options - there are Promenade rooms available but they are $600 more than I paid, and are all connecting rooms on deck 6. There are only 3 balcony rooms available and they are $1200 more than I paid. Needless to say, I don't think these are worth the cost and am not willing to pay that.

So... Do I sacrifice my quiet, central location and OBC for a brighter room at the bottom of the ship? Or stay where I am and enjoy the OBC and deal with the darkness?

Edited by Newbcruiser1

I am biased as I have a stong personal preference for natural light. I would go for the OV, even if I lost the OBC. I would be surprised if there is an engine noise issue, unless you are way aft and you are talking about vibration.

If you are losing the 1500 OBC, I consider that to be costing you 1500 to move from inside to oceanview.

I would not do it.

Enjoy the dark, quiet room.

I read it as losing $150 not $1500.

To me I prefer inside over OV as it much nicer for napping mid day. Plus location trumps it for me. Unless your upgrading to a balcony I'd totally keep your OBC!!

Edited by Mary521

Does it make a difference if there are only 3 ports as its a TA? So minimal bow thruster and azipod vibration maybe? Or maybe not! Lol!

We've been on Voyager class ships (not that much different than Indy), in deck 2 OV staterooms, forward of midship, but still aft of the forward elevators. I remember a small amount of vibration during the docking process.

A few weeks ago I was in both an inside on 7 and an ocean view on 2 all on the same cruise on the Navigator. (Wet carpet in the inside). Although I wasn't crazy about deck 2 ALL THE WAY FORWARD, I found it was alright but I did hear noises I wouldn't have heard had I stayed on 7.

My thought is . . . If you spend a good amount of time out on the open decks or out and about the ship during the day I wouldn't give up the OBC just to have a window. The only time I even looked out was to see what the weather was like in the morning. You only see out, not really down.

I hope this gives you something else to consider.

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

I'm definitely leaning towards staying where I am. I would have appreciated the slightly bigger room (180 square feet) and the sunlight (if nothing else, to make sure my makeup looks okay so I don't scare the 4000 other passengers! Haha!). And of course being able to check the weather (although on a TA, the window wouldn't be as useful as I wouldn't be able to tell the temperature outside, which may be cooler). But I'm not sure those perks are worth sacrificing the better location (about 3/4 of the way back on deck 7) and the onboard credit. I do spend most of my time outside of the room, but being on such a long cruise, there may be a few times when I want to hang out in my room. I guess it's not the end of the world if that room happens to be dark and claustrophobic! Haha! ;)

For those that have stayed in the deck 2 OVs... Do you have any pictures to share? I assume they're all standard but read about some differences in window sizes. Also what type of noise did you hear? Banging waves on the bow (which can often be heard much higher up too..)? Engine noise? Vibration motion and rattling?

Too bad they said the balconies are almost sold out and all of the Promenade rooms remaining are connecting... There go my hopes of being able to move anywhere! Lol!

I wish it was $1500 OBC! I'm imagining all the fun I could have with that! Lol!

In any event - the sale seems to have ended and the pricing is back up where it was! It appears balconies are also sold out now! So I guess I'm staying where I am! :) I will continue to keep an eye on the Promenade rooms though, although given that the cruise is almost sold out, I doubt that they will drop!

Thanks once again for everyone's thoughts and opinions!

Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts!

I'm definitely leaning towards staying where I am. I would have appreciated the slightly bigger room (180 square feet) and the sunlight (if nothing else, to make sure my makeup looks okay so I don't scare the 4000 other passengers! Haha!). And of course being able to check the weather (although on a TA, the window wouldn't be as useful as I wouldn't be able to tell the temperature outside, which may be cooler). But I'm not sure those perks are worth sacrificing the better location (about 3/4 of the way back on deck 7) and the onboard credit. I do spend most of my time outside of the room, but being on such a long cruise, there may be a few times when I want to hang out in my room. I guess it's not the end of the world if that room happens to be dark and claustrophobic! Haha! ;)

For those that have stayed in the deck 2 OVs... Do you have any pictures to share? I assume they're all standard but read about some differences in window sizes. Also what type of noise did you hear? Banging waves on the bow (which can often be heard much higher up too..)? Engine noise? Vibration motion and rattling?

Too bad they said the balconies are almost sold out and all of the Promenade rooms remaining are connecting... There go my hopes of being able to move anywhere! Lol!

There is no difference in window sizes of the ocean view cabins on Voyager/Freedom class ships. Radiance class ships have small portholes on deck 2 and large round windows on deck 3. We have done several cruises on deck 2 on Indy and never heard a sound or felt any vibration.

Edited by Ocean Boy

We hate OV. You will be on a lower deck and often hear a lot more noises from the engine room or the thusters or anchors.

I'd keep an eye on the prices as the date closes in. I've often seen balconies drop to close to inside prices which is easy then to call and upsell to a balcony.

My Thoughts:

I sailed an inside 8 years ago, and since then I've sailed in Balcony and suites, however in December I sailed in an Ocean View. I would have rather the inside than the ocean view, because you can't really see outside anyway. The headboard is up against the window, so the only way to see out the window is the kneel on the bed.

Balcony isn't so bad because you can sit on the bed or lay on the bed and look out the window (or obviously, just go out onto the balcony itself)

Thanks all! As mentioned above a few hours ago, it appears that balconies are sold out now. When I called on Tuesday, they said there were only 3 left! :( So very little hope on a balcony drop unless people start upgrading, although there are no junior suites even available at this time.

Looks like it'll be a sold out cruise!

To me I prefer inside over OV as it much nicer for napping mid day. Plus location trumps it for me. Unless your upgrading to a balcony I'd totally keep your OBC!!

Spot on for me! I wouldn't switch either. I'd much rather have an inside room with Greta location