Excursions with 5 & 12 yr old

T_H

Looking for advice on excursions worth doing for my 5year old son and 12 year old daughter. We will be on freedom of the seas in Sept 2016. I want to pick one or two things they'd enjoy together! Ports include Falmouth Jamaica, labdee Haiti, grand Caymans, Cozumel.

Get a guidebook...read it to them...see what interests them! Libraries have guidebooks!

Labadee is the ship's beach day..no need to book ANY excursion there! It's a beach day, and included in your fare. BBQ lunch is served on the beach. You can stay on the ship, if you want...or go ashore....your call...Labedee is a pretty place. No need to spend a penny there!

Definitely agree on the Stingrays in Cayman. Seven Mile Beach and the Turtle Farm are also very popular, but the Stingrays are by far the highlight and so much fun!!

Not sure Dunn's River falls would be good for a 5 year old. While there is not an age limit, some of the falls are a pretty good climb and unless your 5 year old is very adventurous and coordinated, I wouldn't recommend it.

Mystic Mountain is fun, River Tubing is also a lot of fun for kids (and adults) and littles can do that easily.

Cozumel, beach clubs like Mr. Sanchos and Paradise are very popular with families as is Playa Mia, but your kids might be too old for that one.

As has been said the Sting Rays are the main attraction, but we also saw several young children scared to death and wanted nothing to do with the Rays. When the guide tried to put one of the Rays on the child's back, he screamed so loud I thought the fish would be scared away. Again, just a warning.

Personally Turtle City might be a better alternative. Here the kids can intermingle with the turtles, pick them up, feel them, feed them and turtles are a lot less active than the Rays.

You know your kids, but either would be fun for a child.

Cheers

Len

Thank you everyone!! I'm going to look for some videos of the turtles/stingrays and see where their interest lies. They are both pretty adventurous at times.

Where's mystic mountain? I don't recall seeing it, sounds like a possible option. My 12yr old really wants to do dolphin swimming as we are fortunate enough to have their godparents along to assist with kids. Which option offers the most interaction? And has anyone done the Atlantis sub thing?? I though my son might like that.

Thank you everyone!! I'm going to look for some videos of the turtles/stingrays and see where their interest lies. They are both pretty adventurous at times.

Where's mystic mountain? I don't recall seeing it, sounds like a possible option. My 12yr old really wants to do dolphin swimming as we are fortunate enough to have their godparents along to assist with kids. Which option offers the most interaction? And has anyone done the Atlantis sub thing?? I though my son might like that.

Mystic Mountain is in Jamaiaca. I only mentioned it because you were discussing your other ports as well.