Prescription Meds in Original Bottles

august1963

Carnival sent me a packing list that said my prescription medications needed to be in their original bottles. My first question is why? I have never heard of this. Is it strictly enforced? I don't want to get slammed for this question, just wondering because I don't want to take all the bottles with me. Would rather use the Sunday thru Saturday dispenser.

Carnival sent me a packing list that said my prescription medications needed to be in their original bottles. My first question is why? I have never heard of this. Is it strictly enforced? I don't want to get slammed for this question, just wondering because I don't want to take all the bottles with me. Would rather use the Sunday thru Saturday dispenser.

Controlled substances should be in their original prescription bottle. I believe that's actually Federal Law. Otherwise, most cruisers use the 7 day dispenser type.

Controlled substances should be in their original prescription bottle. I believe that's actually Federal Law. Otherwise, most cruisers use the 7 day dispenser type.

That's the way I see it as well. There's a big difference between a prescription narcotic painkiller and something less controlled, like blood pressure medication or common antibiotics.

Not sure of the law, but each pill has a code on it that tells what it is. If you put it in a different case it is still identifiable. It just may take someone longer to verify it if they choose to. Chances are, if there are 3,000+ people on board, no one will bother trying to identify your prescriptions.

several reasons that I can think of

if you need the medicine and you pass out somewhere you wont be able to tell anyone

if you have a accident and the doctor needs to give you something he/she needs to know what you are taking to make sure there are no reactions and 'monday' wont help him

its the rules/law

I always use one of those 7-day pill boxes for my prescription medications.

But. I always take the bottles with me as well, even if we're not flying, because we are usually gone more than a week so I need to refill it plus I know you're "supposed to" bring your original bottles. But I thought it was the airlines that wanted original bottles, I didn't realize Carnival did too.

And I like to be prepared in case of an emergency and we needed to stay in the port city awhile longer (like if me or my husband had to have emergency surgery, or had a heart attack, etc.) then I have all my medications with me.

Controlled substances should be in their original prescription bottle. I believe that's actually Federal Law.

THIS....

If using controlled substances, ie pain pills, drugs to help with anxiety, moods, weight loss, ADHD, etc. it would be a very good idea to bring in the original bottle from the drug store. If not you can be arrested and miss that wonderful cruise, get arrested upon arrival of the ship back to the home port and miss the flight home, etc. NOT worth it for a bit of hassle, same in a car, on a plane, etc. Don't mix different pills in one bottle either, still a felony.

This is from a forum that police answer questions... I just found it online, have never been to it before but it took about 30 seconds on uncle google to find it and many others like it:

http://forums.officer.com/t179708/

There are just as many that say "don't worry about it"... personally I take my blood pressure/other daily pills that are NOT "controlled substances" in a 7 day thingy... I do have some pain pills for a cranky back that I take in the original pill bottle, not gonna chance it.

several reasons that I can think of

if you need the medicine and you pass out somewhere you wont be able to tell anyone

if you have a accident and the doctor needs to give you something he/she needs to know what you are taking to make sure there are no reactions and 'monday' wont help him

its the rules/law

Might be a good idea to make-up a laminated ICE card (in case of emergency) where you list all your medications and their dosages, as well as contact information, names of traveling companions (with room numbers, etc) and keep it on your person or at least in your cabin (taped to the mirror works well) while on board ship. Then if you faint or become incapacitated someone can pretty quickly find your information. I'd rather carry a piece of paper than have someone rifling through my belongings looking for medicine bottles. Actually this is a good idea at home, in your car, and in your purse or wallet. And only controlled substances need to be kept in their original containers with a label identifying you as the sole user. If you use controlled substances have your pharmacist make up a container and carry only the amount of these you may need on a cruise.

Besides, I don't think it would be a good idea to go ashore with a purse full of medications...

Edited by Sweet Dutch Girl

I always take the prescription bottles with me and a pill organizer then fill the organizer in the room for the week. If some of your pill bottles are too large you can have your pharmacist give you a smaller bottle with a label on it for travel. My son has a severe seizure disorder and is on 4 different seizure meds (along with other meds) and they are controlled substances. It is required that they be in a labeled pill bottle.

This poster is correct - you only need to carry the original vial for "scheduled" narcotics.

If you are carrying the original vials for prescriptions that are not scheduled narcotics, you are doing so to satisfy your own self - there is no legal or logical reason to do so.

Never had a problem using the S-S container. I do however bring my medicine bottles with me also because I like to be careful, hope it never happens but some week long cruises have stretched into a week and a half to 2 weeks due to weather or mechanical problems and I can't miss my meds

THIS....

If using controlled substances, ie pain pills, drugs to help with anxiety, moods, weight loss, ADHD, etc. it would be a very good idea to bring in the original bottle from the drug store. If not you can be arrested and miss that wonderful cruise, get arrested upon arrival of the ship back to the home port and miss the flight home, etc. NOT worth it for a bit of hassle, same in a car, on a plane, etc. Don't mix different pills in one bottle either, still a felony.

This is from a forum that police answer questions... I just found it online, have never been to it before but it took about 30 seconds on uncle google to find it and many others like it:

http://forums.officer.com/t179708/

There are just as many that say "don't worry about it"... personally I take my blood pressure/other daily pills that are NOT "controlled substances" in a 7 day thingy... I do have some pain pills for a cranky back that I take in the original pill bottle, not gonna chance it.

I agree.

Recently someone I am close to may have been stopped by the police for crossing over the yellow line coming home after working late.

That someone may have had an assortment of pills all in one prescription bottle.

Including one pill that was prescribed to a significent other who needed it occasionally.

And that person may have been arrested and charged with possession of illicit drugs.

The significent other had to call the person's job and let them know he was unable to comeo work .

And the supervisor called the police and were told that the arrest was for possession of illicit drugs.

Not a good thing.

My husband used to carry his pain and headache meds all in one prescription bottle.

It could have happened to him too.

It is just a good thing to know.

I agree.

Recently someone I am close to may have been stopped by the police for crossing over the yellow line coming home after working late.

That someone may have had an assortment of pills all in one prescription bottle.

Including one pill that was prescribed to a significent other who needed it occasionally.

And that person may have been arrested and charged with possession of illicit drugs.

The significent other had to call the person's job and let them know he was unable to comeo work .

And the supervisor called the police and were told that the arrest was for possession of illicit drugs.

Not a good thing.

My husband used to carry his pain and headache meds all in one prescription bottle.

Thanks have to discuss this with DW.

I agree.

Not a good thing.

"If" they were arrested for possession of a pill then it had to be a scheduled drug. All others can be carried however one wishes

Edited by lizardhowson

"If" they were arrested for possession of a pill then it had to be a scheduled drug. All others can be carried however one wishes

One may have a prescription, but if it is not in the correct bottle, then one may have an unpleasant evening.

I suppose one could be arrested for driving drowsy.

But illicit drug sounds a lot worse...

I posted this because I did not know.

After this happened I saw a similar situation discussed on the local news here.

Anyway, it is good to know.

Edited by mzloolue

I never take the bottles but I should because I take pain med. I think from now on I will take the the pain med. bottle.

That is a lot of bull . We never take them in the original bottles.

Actually depending on your state and what police you get, how much of a something something you are.... you can go to jail for ANY pill not in it's bottle/pack/whatever from the store. It may be dropped later but that's not much comfort that night.... again your state may vary. And first you gotta be stopped and searched before any of this would happen, which usually means a whole lot of something else is going on...