weather during crossing from New York to Southampton in May

Cruizann

You just never know what it will be like.

We did the crossing on QM2 in May in 2014 (Southampton to New York City) and it was very cold and the only day we could go outside was the last sea day.

A few years earlier we crossed in May on another cruise line and we spent more time outside and it wasn't as cold.

Keith

You just never know what it will be like.

We did the crossing on QM2 in May in 2014 (Southampton to New York City) and it was very cold and the only day we could go outside was the last sea day.

A few years earlier we crossed in May on another cruise line and we spent more time outside and it wasn't as cold.

Keith

Keith is spot on. The North Atlantic just will not be predictable for us. We also have seen May crossings with snow and storms or sun and flat calm. Part of the fun is not knowing. Every time is different.:D

Agreeing with Keith: weather has trends, but is never wholly predictable (particularly months in advance).

Our May experience (also May 2014, probably the same voyage as Keith's) included mostly coolness on the deck. I remember some fog...

Fortunately, so much great entertainment that the weather just doesn't matter that much to DH and me… We didn't venture out often and were perfectly happy inside the ship.

I don't think spring crossings are stormy, just not balmy--if that is a concern for you.

Also, it is quite a distance across and the weather isn't uniform the complete voyage. There will be some various on any crossing.

Have a wonderful time, Cruizann!

Jimmybean

Hi,

I agree with the above comments. Last year, I did a crossing on the Queen Victoria in late April / early May from New York City to Southampton (final segment of the world cruise). The weather was fairly pleasant. However, you certainly cannot count on this. Also, the weather during crossings seems to greatly vary by day (I have done a total five crossings during different times of the year). During the same crossing, there may be some very pleasant days (and some not-so-pleasant days).

Chuck

I was on the same cruise as Jimmybean--I remember the fog. We had a sheltered balcony on the south-facing side of the ship and I was able to sit outside a few times. It was pleasant to get some fresh air and it wasn't terribly cold, but not toasty warm, either.

We've done enough crossings to know that the weather is variable, so we just go along with what happens and enjoy all the lectures and activities that are available.

Edited by 3rdGenCunarder

Hi Cruizann,

I agree totally with the more experienced posters above; you never know with the North Atlantic...

I've enjoyed two QM2 May crossings, photographs taken during both may give you some idea of the weather and seas;

May '14 (sunny days) here:

May '11 (note the fog) here:

Hope these help, have the most wonderful time on board :)

• 3 weeks later...
My husband and I are wondering what temperatures and weather to expect during this transatlantic crossing from New York to Southampton in mid May please. Thank you.

Hi Cruizann

I'm glad you asked and we are on the same crossing. With the answers you've had and the reviews we've done of previous daily programmes it looks like we take it as it comes as there is so much to do

We have a sheltered balcony so will be getting some fresh air at some point.

Maybe see you onboard.

Hi Cruizann,

I agree totally with the more experienced posters above; you never know with the North Atlantic...

I've enjoyed two QM2 May crossings, photographs taken during both may give you some idea of the weather and seas;

May '14 (sunny days) here:

May '11 (note the fog) here:

Hope these help, have the most wonderful time on board :)

Brings back memories pepper! Always love your photos, especially for the crossings I was on!

Rob

My husband and I are wondering what temperatures and weather to expect during this transatlantic crossing from New York to Southampton in mid May please. Thank you.

Well I think the bars , restaurants, theatres and cabins will be just toasty.

As said on another thread we are on this crossing and are sooooooo exciiiiited!!

:):):)