Getting to St. John's

Justabitoff

We're planning on going to St. John instead of St. Thomas, but we're not sure how we should get there. The cruise has an excursion that takes you to Cruz Bay and is there for about 6 hours for $39 a person. Then there's taking the ferry. Not sure which would be best? We're thinking about just doing the cruise excursion. Thoughts?

We would do a self-excursion and take the Red Hook ferry for several reasons, you'll find many threads describing the differences on the first two pages of this forum. The cost from your dock (Havensight) to Cruz Bay is $34pp, including taxi to a beach it is $48pp. We like the freedom of going on our own and prefer the RH ferry.

Edited by blue_water

its your first cruise. I would do the cruise lines excursion.

Seems very cheap to go to St Johns.

the ship will not wait for you-

The ferry over is about 30-45 minutes.and could be choppy

http://www.stjohnusvi.com/ferry.html

you MUST be pro-active in the time as the ferry does not run all day but only during certain hours. (one is a local ferry where locals use to go back from working.)

You must be onboard 30 minutes before sailing.

its your first cruise. I would do the cruise lines excursion.

Seems very cheap to go to St Johns.

the ship will not wait for you-

The ferry over is about 30-45 minutes.and could be choppy

http://www.stjohnusvi.com/ferry.html

you MUST be pro-active in the time as the ferry does not run all day but only during certain hours. (one is a local ferry where locals use to go back from working.)

You must be onboard 30 minutes before sailing.

You do NOT want to rely on the ferries from town. The Red Hook ferry is 15 min and less choppy

We don't want to rely on the Red Hook ferries, but they're faster and less choppy? That doesn't make any sense...

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Read the posts - the ship excursion or ferry from town is a 45 min ride through tougher water.

The RH ferry is reliable every hour on the hour both directions and 15 min in calmer water usually

Enjoy!

We're planning on going to St. John instead of St. Thomas, but we're not sure how we should get there. The cruise has an excursion that takes you to Cruz Bay and is there for about 6 hours for $39 a person. Then there's taking the ferry. Not sure which would be best? We're thinking about just doing the cruise excursion. Thoughts?

I've done the self guided using the Red Hook ferry. It is easy but no less expensive than a cruise excursion. Only thing is I tend to worry about connections and timing. I suspect I would of had a better time letting an excursion operator handle that part.

I would add that there is the possibility of the Red Hook ferry not being reliable. The last time we were in St. John, we waited over an hour for the ferry to leave. We were told that the ferry driver overslept but was on his way! I'm sure this doesn't happen often, but just a cautionary note to plan ample time to return to the ship.

I would add that there is the possibility of the Red Hook ferry not being reliable. The last time we were in St. John, we waited over an hour for the ferry to leave. We were told that the ferry driver overslept but was on his way! I'm sure this doesn't happen often, but just a cautionary note to plan ample time to return to the ship.

That is very strange indeed! :p Perhaps in that case there was a mechanical problem and in a rare case another ferry was not available...

Very reliable and on time normally, and when there are mechanical problems there can be short delays occasionally but delays more than 10 minutes are rare, and they add ferries to accommodate larger crowds on big ship days.

But be sure to monitor your time so you get back to the ferry on time, a good rule of thumb is to return 3 hrs before your ship leaves port. That way if there is any type of delay you'll make the next ferry and still have plenty of time.

Edited by blue_water