Advisement from DCL for Guests visiting Nassua.

Ex techie

I've not noticed this before in Navigators I've viewed, but DCL has some advice for visitors on the Dream to Nassau.

It seems crime, assaults and robberies have increased enough for them to feel they need to include it in the Navigators below. Screen shot taken from Disneycruiselineblog, from Feb, 2016 cruise.

Be safe and cautious Disney Dream cruisers!

Screen%20Shot%202016-100.png

ex techie

It really is the arsehole of the Bahamas, but without the ships being registered there and the lease of Castaway Cay, I'm sure they would chose to avoid the island completely and the hellhole and lawlessness their corrupt Government has created for the residents and visitors.

ex techie

Edited by Ex techie

I've always figured they were required to make a certain number of dockings in the Bahamas each year due to the ship registry issue. I don't know this for sure, but it makes sense. We DO pay "port charges" (which are basically a government tax) for docking at Castaway Cay, but I'm guessing that's not enough to keep the government happy.

They certainly don't make tons off of people going off the ship as many opt to stay on board. I don't know what impact their VAT has had; to me it would be just another reason to not get off the ship! Obviously there are people from the ships who go to Atlantis or whatever, but half or more are reporting staying on board. That's a lot of excursions and shopping that didn't happen!

So sad....before July 1998, DCL and the Bahamian government had really worked hard to make the situation more "friendly" to DCL guests.

Edited by moki'smommy

We have done the 3 and 4 day Dream cruises and both times we did not get off the boat. To us is is like a day at sea will a few less people. I wish DCL would stop going there and offer double dip Castaway Cay cruises.

That might be enough to get me to do a short cruise. :) There are lots of reasons that I don't like short cruises, but porting at Nassau is one of the big issues.

We have done the 3 and 4 day Dream cruises and both times we did not get off the boat. To us is is like a day at sea will a few less people. I wish DCL would stop going there and offer double dip Castaway Cay cruises.

In the winter, Castaway is just about maxed out. The Dream goes there twice a week year round. The Fantasy is once per week. Right now, the Magic is twice a week, and the Wonder is once a week. That place is hopping with ships six of the seven days of each week. It lets up over the summer with the Magic and Wonder out of the picture.

There are a few cruises this winter that have just CC on the itinerary. It didn't suit with our schedule otherwise we would have done it. 1 day at sea and CC and then back to PC. I think it's on the Wonder.

Edited by slightlysilly

I just got off NCL Escape yesterday. The DCL Dream was in port with us in Nassau on Friday.

There was a notice in our Freestyle daily that was issued from the US Embassy in Nassau about personal safety and increased crime. Since my husband works at an Embassy we took the warning seriously and chose not to leave the ship.

85bebf3f01e9e765b07c6dbf473858b0.jpg

Though it is all pretty much common sense for any tourism spot, knowing the US Embassy issued the warning gave it a bit more importance in our eyes.

Instead, we ended up having the best day on ship. Pools were not crowded and we could actually get a deck chair for a change. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

The warnings accomplish a few things. First, they may cause tourists to be more aware. Secondly, in the event that something does happen, it gives the cruise line, Embassy, or others issuing or repeating warnings the ability to say "Well, we told them." That sounds harsh, but better that than a cruise line not forwarding a known warning.

Be glad that you were given the opportunity.

My Celebrity cruise to the Eastern Med had the overnight in Instanbul cancelled. Istanbul was to be the highlight of the cruise. I would have taken my chances given the choice but I wasn't given it. The alternative overnight in Athens was nice but it wasn't the same.

Yes, I'm comparing Istanbul to Nassau and I condemn myself.

Be glad that you were given the opportunity.

My Celebrity cruise to the Eastern Med had the overnight in Instanbul cancelled. Istanbul was to be the highlight of the cruise. I would have taken my chances given the choice but I wasn't given it. The alternative overnight in Athens was nice but it wasn't the same.

Is that a situation in which you were offered compensation for the itinerary change or not? Istanbul is amazing.

You can! We are on the Dream this June 3-day itinerary and we have a Palo Brunch booked for Nassau day.

Just book as soon as your window opens up. We tried and nothing a Palo or remi was available for the Nassau day.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

There is no requirement for a ship to make port calls in the country it is registered in. There are ships registered in landlocked countries like: Austria, Azerbaijan, Bolivia, Ethiopia, Hungary, Laos, Luxembourg, Mongolia, Moldova, Paraguay, Slovakia, and Switzerland. I have seen a small Baltic coaster in Bremerhaven that was flagged US in order to take US government cargo to Sweden and Finland, and that ship could never cross the ocean.

Now, whether the lease on Castaway Cay includes some mandatory port stops in Nassau, I can't say, but I would doubt it.

WHAT??? :eek::eek::eek::eek: I thought you could only do Palo Brunch on sea days!!!

THIS IS THE BEST DAY EVERRRRRRR!!!!

They experimented with Palo brunch at Nassau in the fall of last year but then abruptly stopped it with no explanation. I myself was pretty disappointed until the booking window for my upcoming June Cruise opened a few weeks ago and lo and behold Palo brunch on Nassau was there. I too was pretty excited since it's my 10th anniversary on the actual day will be at Nassau and Palo brunch is quite possibly my wife's favorite meal anywhere

Now all this said the last time they did this experiment they did cancel it without much notice and even sent emails to people who had already booked the brunch telling them it was now cancelled so nothing's official until I eat that meal.

They experimented with Palo brunch at Nassau in the fall of last year but then abruptly stopped it with no explanation. I myself was pretty disappointed until the booking window for my upcoming June Cruise opened a few weeks ago and lo and behold Palo brunch on Nassau was there. I too was pretty excited since it's my 10th anniversary on the actual day will be at Nassau and Palo brunch is quite possibly my wife's favorite meal anywhere

Now all this said the last time they did this experiment they did cancel it without much notice and even sent emails to people who had already booked the brunch telling them it was now cancelled so nothing's official until I eat that meal.

What about a Remy brunch? Is there such a thing as a Remy Brunch on a cruise with no sea days?