Noordam - Mariners Lunch

Stratheden

We boarded the Noordam about 2 hours ago and have just returned from the Mariners Embarkation Lunch.

The dining room was probably half full. It was the usual menu, but certainly a much more relaxing way to start our cruise rather than the bun fight in the Lido.

Had a quick look around the Lido on my way back from signing up for the Thermal Spa Pass. There appeared to be two stations for pre-made sandwiches but nowhere to have made to order.

Must go and unpack but thought I would post these two things as they seem to be questions that are asked regularly. Will only have Australian Internet until 4.00pm. Not sure what it will be like after that.

Thanks so much for the feedback on the Mariner Embarkation Lunch - makes me hopeful that HAL will reinstate it fleet-wide on a regular basis. I don't mind if they make the MDR open to all for lunch on embarkation day - I just would like the MDR option available when we board.

Once again it looks like the lunch is dependent on which ship, and there is no definitive HAL policy. So depending on which ship you are boarding there are two questions:

1. Is the MDR open at all for lunch?

2. If it is, is it just for returning Mariners or for everyone?

I don't think it would even make any sense for someone to compile a list, because then it would change from week to week as well.:rolleyes:

Edited by Lizzie68

It was called the Mariners Embarkation Lunch in the On Location.

Thanks for responding. I happy MDR is open but wish they had not gone back on opening it for all for Embarkation Day Lunch.

Hope you are enjoying. :)

Thanks for responding. I happy MDR is open but wish they had not gone back on opening it for all for Embarkation Day Lunch.

Hope you are enjoying. :)

I don't have an issue if they open it to all. Most won't know that have not sailed HAL before unless they are here, right? And we are only 10% of who cruises?

Never had a problem getting a seat in the MDR on embarkation day and never seen it full.

I must be missing something here - but I often do and it's been a really bad week.

I must be really losing it as I thought you preferred to eat in the Lido on embarkation day - apologies as it seems my memory went downhill with the loss of Kazu.

I don't have an issue if they open it to all. Most won't know that have not sailed HAL before unless they are here, right? And we are only 10% of who cruises?

Never had a problem getting a seat in the MDR on embarkation day and never seen it full.

I must be missing something here - but I often do and it's been a really bad week.

I must be really losing it as I thought you preferred to eat in the Lido on embarkation day - apologies as it seems my memory went downhill with the loss of Kazu.

I must be confused like you.

I never saw in this thread anywhere that anyone said you have an issue if they open MDR to all for lunch on embarkation day. :confused: Who/where did someone say that?

For all it is worth, I DO prefer lunch in Lido on Embarkation Day and never go to MDR but I think your memory is still functioning if you recall that. :D I like the energy and excitement of Lido that first day when (most) people are in good moods. :)

Once again it looks like the lunch is dependent on which ship, and there is no definitive HAL policy. So depending on which ship you are boarding there are two questions:

1. Is the MDR open at all for lunch?

2. If it is, is it just for returning Mariners or for everyone?

I don't think it would even make any sense for someone to compile a list, because then it would change from week to week as well.:rolleyes:

bold is mine

Sadly, this comment could apply to a lot of HAL "policies." I sometimes wonder if someone new to HAL and this board thinks we're all crazy because of the conflicting experiences we report.

... it's been a really bad week ... with the loss of Kazu.

Jacqui,

So sorry to hear of your loss of Kazu. I wish there were some magic words to ease your sadness but there aren't, so I'll just say I am sorry for your loss. Take care.

R

Jacqui,

So sorry to hear of your loss of Kazu. I wish there were some magic words to ease your sadness but there aren't, so I'll just say I am sorry for your loss. Take care.

R

That's a nice post, and may I add my same sentiment. It is gut-wrenching to lose such a close buddy. I know too well how it feels, Jacqui.

bold is mine

Sadly, this comment could apply to a lot of HAL "policies." I sometimes wonder if someone new to HAL and this board thinks we're all crazy because of the conflicting experiences we report.

Totally! There is no "normal" anywhere across HAL's fleet or through their policies.:rolleyes:

Totally! There is no "normal" anywhere across HAL's fleet or through their policies.:rolleyes:
Sometimes seems like there are 13 or 14 independently operated companies in the "HAL group" :D Edited by jtl513

Jacqui,

R

What a kind post. Thank you.

That's a nice post, and may I add my same sentiment. It is gut-wrenching to lose such a close buddy. I know too well how it feels, Jacqui.

Thank you Lizzie.

Sometimes seems like there are 13 or 14 independently operated companies in the "HAL group" :D

You got that right. And which one do we get when we phone HQ with a question??? And then phone again and get a different answer, and so on and so on and so on.:eek:

We boarded the Noordam about 2 hours ago and have just returned from the Mariners Embarkation Lunch.

The dining room was probably half full. It was the usual menu, but certainly a much more relaxing way to start our cruise rather than the bun fight in the Lido.

Had a quick look around the Lido on my way back from signing up for the Thermal Spa Pass. There appeared to be two stations for pre-made sandwiches but nowhere to have made to order.

Must go and unpack but thought I would post these two things as they seem to be questions that are asked regularly. Will only have Australian Internet until 4.00pm. Not sure what it will be like after that.

Thank you for this information.

Lunch was not available in the main dining room when we embarked on Noordam for her first cruise of the season to New Zealand.

During the cruise, we were able to have lunchtime sandwiches made to order in the Lido.

Hope you are having a super cruise, and that our weather is kind to you, (some rain forecast for the South Island during this week.)