Injury 5 weeks out.

We are due on oasis in just over five weeks. Today my injured knee and is on crutches. We have paid the final payment. If she can't go will they let us transfer to another sailing. We would make a decision are least two weeks before.

What does your Mum want to do? I would ask her first whether or not she would like to go on the cruise and then put everything in place to accomplish that task IF and only IF her Dr. agrees with the decision.

I had a fall and destroyed my arm on a Thursday night in 2014 and we were to leave the following Tuesday for Florida to board a cruise the next day. It required major surgery. I still cannot believe that I went on that cruise, but I did with the blessing of my Dr. (he thought I needed to get away) and very clear instructions on do's and don'ts. It was paramount to protect my arm and not to be knocked around. I followed his instructions, rested a lot and was very well taken care of by some of the crew and especially my DH. I was in my 50's and very mobile. So not the same as an 80 year old with a knee injury.

You need to be aware that with an injury some of the passengers are not very kind. I was almost knocked over in the Windjammer by overly enthusiastic pax who desperately needed FOOD!!!!:eek: You would need to be vigilant and protective. It is still possible to have a great time.

I was the caretaker for my parents when they were in their 80's. It is a challenge when injuries occur, sometimes things heal quickly and other times not. It requires a great deal of patience. It is possible to still go on the cruise if Mum and her Dr. agree.

I hope that you have the best possible outcome and that people on here are kind and helpful!

Dee

Sorry it's my mum not partner. She has annual insurance which had expired a few weeks ago and stupidly was going to renew next week. She is 80 and usually mobility is excellent. I know not a break and been told by hospital should be back to normal hopefully 5_6 weeks but worried...

Aww, poor thing. :( So sorry to hear this. Let us know what's happening - come back to this thread and update if you want to.

Aww, poor thing. :( So sorry to hear this. Let us know what's happening - come back to this thread and update if you want to.

I will I think she will be okay, able to walk with her crutches today a little. I know these kind of injuries can take up to 6 weeks or more to heal so have looked at mobility scooter hire today. She is not impressed with this idea but is coming around:)

My mom fractured her foot 6 weeks before our big family cruise on the Oasis last year. Special Needs at Sea has very reasonable prices but my dad ended up just bringing her a lightweight transport wheel chair. They had a regular room so at the cabin door she would switch to crutches and the wheel chair folded nicely. Also http://www.amazon.com/Ez2care-Adjustable-Lightweight-Shower-Bench/dp/B007HCDMJ0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00 this portable shower bench was essential - it fit in the shower and is was lightweight enough to unscrew and pack in the luggage. Good luck!

I was on crutches/didn't walk for two years after a bad accident. Did NOT stop me from cruising! I sailed NCL out of Seattle and Celebrity out of San Diego. On both cruises I was able to rent/arrange for a wheel chair to be delivered to the ship. At the end of the cruises, I left it in my cabin, and the crew took responsibility of getting it back to the rental company. Or you could rent one at home for the duration of the trip, so it is with you through the airport, embarkation/disembarkation, and the cruise. Having a wheel chair and crutches was great! I moved around the cabin on crutches, and moved around the ship in my wheel chair.

I made it work and had an excellent cruise both times. I did miss a few ports (like Cabo because the pier is sooooooooooooo long, and the streets are so uneven).

I saw a lot of interesting judgments based on a vague description of the knee injury. I know the OP said injury and not surgery, but my DH had ACL surgery, and he could hardly ride in the car for a couple weeks. There's absolutely no way he would have been able to fly for a cruise. Maybe get more info before you basically say, "suck it up, buttercup, a cruise on a bum knee is better than nothing."