MIA vs FLL

Elizabeth K.

Hi Everyone, I'm considering a cruise out of MIA in the future. I've been through FLL many many times and have it figured out a far as pre-cruise hotel, and other logistics. For those of you who are familiar with both ports, average costs of hotels, taxis etc, do you have a preference between the 2, and if so, why? Thanks for any opinions :)

Most cruising from POM choose FLL over MIA because of cheaper flights.

Comparable hotels are usually cheaper in the FLL area than Miami/Miami Beach and IMHO the FLL area is more family friendly.

Getting from MIA to a hotel is an easy $25+ cab ride; another $12-14 cab will get you to the port the next morning. From the FLL area most choose shared shuttle service to POM for about $15+ per person - the ride takes about 45-60+ minutes.

Post cruise it will still take you about an hour to get to FLL from POM - I would not book a flight before noon. From POM to MIA is a flat rate cab fare of $27 and the ride takes 15+ minutes -- you should be able to make a flight leaving after 11:00

Over the years we have found that we thoroughly enjoy Miami more.

Most recently we were at Fort Lauderdale.

I prefer Miami airport particularly if you arrive a few hours before your flight leaves. We find that the airport has many more restaurants and stores to keep you occupied and which makes the wait not feel so long.

We also like the cosmopolitan feel of Miami. Lots of great restaurants and we believe more to do.

Sometimes it's nice to change things up so if your cruise is leaving out of Miami it's a nice opportunity to spend sometime in Miami.

That way you'll have a better idea going forward.

Keith

Hi Everyone, I'm considering a cruise out of MIA in the future. I've been through FLL many many times and have it figured out a far as pre-cruise hotel, and other logistics. For those of you who are familiar with both ports, average costs of hotels, taxis etc, do you have a preference between the 2, and if so, why? Thanks for any opinions :)

We prefer Ft. Lauderdale / Port Everglades. Many Southwest flights to FLL, a good number of nonstops, which is convenient for us. Like the fact that the airport is very close to the port, and can stay at reasonably priced (except during spring break) hotels with free airport shuttles and free port shuttles.

Over the years we have found that we thoroughly enjoy Miami more.

Most recently we were at Fort Lauderdale.

I prefer Miami airport particularly if you arrive a few hours before your flight leaves. We find that the airport has many more restaurants and stores to keep you occupied and which makes the wait not feel so long.

We also like the cosmopolitan feel of Miami. Lots of great restaurants and we believe more to do.

Sometimes it's nice to change things up so if your cruise is leaving out of Miami it's a nice opportunity to spend sometime in Miami.

That way you'll have a better idea going forward.

Keith

DH grew up in Maimi and I lived and worked there 27 years. Would not recommend anyone choose Miami over Ft. Lauderdale unless you are 20 or 30 something. Ft. Lauderdale much nicer, safer and more economical. We sailed on the Reflection from Miami a few years ago and said NEVER, NEVER AGAIN.

Have 1 friend still living there and she constantly tells me what a nightmare it is, but is not in a position to move at this time.

Even when I lived in Miami we would go to Ft. Lauderdale whenever possible.