Solos in Suites?

sail7seas

Do any of the usual cruise lines ever offer meaningful discounts for suites occupied by a solo traveler? Seems not many offer balcony cabins for solos let alone suites.

Thanks. :)

Not that I have ever found! Most lines charge double for a solo in a balcony for most itineraries, however Crystal Cruises single supplement is "only" 140% for standard balcony staterooms and they are all inclusive. That's part of the reason they are my favorite line so far. Sailing solo, I pay almost the same per diem on HAL, for example, as on Crystal when you factor in gratuities and drinks.

Not that I have ever found! Most lines charge double for a solo in a balcony for most itineraries, however Crystal Cruises single supplement is "only" 140% for standard balcony staterooms and they are all inclusive. That's part of the reason they are my favorite line so far. Sailing solo, I pay almost the same per diem on HAL, for example, as on Crystal when you factor in gratuities and drinks.

Agree completely,love Crystal!

Seabourn are also worth looking at as they are offering free upgrades to balcony suites & 120% solo supplements on some of there European cruises.

New passengers can also receive extra OBC via there referral scheme.

Do any of the usual cruise lines ever offer meaningful discounts for suites occupied by a solo traveler? Seems not many offer balcony cabins for solos let alone suites.

Thanks. :)

A while ago NCL had zero single supplement in any cabin category as last minute offers. Used it once for a transatlantic in a haven family suite and once on an eastern med in winter cruise in an aft penthouse.

Have not seen those deals for a long time now though.

I've only booked a suite as a solo twice and both times I paid the same as if two people were in the cabin. BUT, I got a really good deal on both. Both times I paid about what I would have paid for a regular solo balcony cabin but it was only luck. I was on the right website at the right time.

I've got a suite cabin coming up in May but it will be my first time in a suite that I have to share and the only time I didn't get a great deal on the price. I'm treating my Aunt to an Alaskan cruise. It's her first cruise and her first trip to Alaska so I thought I'd make things nice for her. For the price I could have gotten each of us our own balcony cabin.

Does a "Junior Suite" count? I have two booked on RCL - one for 150% of cost that was booked onboard when on last year's first solo cruise, and one this summer with a 30% off promotion. I have had a solo balcony cabin on NCL when cruising with kids and was only charged a single passenger rate. The TA expressed surprise that they "gave" me that rate, but maybe it was because I was paying for the kids' cabin.

Edited by Truluv

A while ago NCL had zero single supplement in any cabin category as last minute offers. Used it once for a transatlantic in a haven family suite and once on an eastern med in winter cruise in an aft penthouse.

Have not seen those deals for a long time now though.

I sailed in Penthouse on Dawn last summer as solo and paid 200%.

My friends invited me to sail again with them and the Penthouse for me as a solo is again 200%.

HAL is 200%.

I really would not be happy sailing without a verandah and I like the suite benefits such as breakfast/lunch in Cagney's and the butler/concierge. Have to decide just how much I like it. :D

Thanks for the comments.

Edited by sail7seas

Right now, Princess is offering a massive discount on a suite on the Emerald Princess for three different 14-day sailings out of Southampton, England. In all three cases, the solo fare is actually thousands of dollars less than the per person double occupancy fare AND thousands of dollars less than the solo fare for an interior, ocean view or balcony.

I am *so* tempted to jump on one of these cruises:

23 July 2016: http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=E628

20 Aug 2016: http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=E630

03 Sep 2016: http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=E631

Right now, Princess is offering a massive discount on a suite on the Emerald Princess for three different 14-day sailings out of Southampton, England. In all three cases, the solo fare is actually thousands of dollars less than the per person double occupancy fare AND thousands of dollars less than the solo fare for an interior, ocean view or balcony.

I am *so* tempted to jump on one of these cruises:

23 July 2016: http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=E628

20 Aug 2016: http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=E630

03 Sep 2016: http://www.princess.com/find/cruiseDetails.do?voyageCode=E631

I have a hold on a suite until April 1 on the Sept. 3 sailing. I could not believe the price. I have seen no roll call for this sailing. I do like to travel on independently created tours and am wondering---where is everybody!

I have a hold on a suite until April 1 on the Sept. 3 sailing. I could not believe the price. I have seen no roll call for this sailing. I do like to travel on independently created tours and am wondering---where is everybody!

:mad:Am sorry,but when I click on the page,the price is £8,375!

Not a great deal ?

:mad:Am sorry,but when I click on the page,the price is £8,375!

Not a great deal ?

Are you changing the number of travellers from 2 to 1? When I load link, it defaults to 2 travellers and the price is CDN$8733.15. But once I change the number of travellers to 1, the price drops to CDN$4047.30.

I *so* want to jump on this trip but I've already committed to a 14-day trip on the Regal -- in an interior :( -- for almost the same amount of money and I've already purchased my hotel stays and airline tickets so switching isn't an option.

Yes, you can certainly find deals.

I only sail in balcony or better cabins out of Florida.

Normally all the great deals are a month before with amazing deals a week or 2 before.

I just posted some amazing balcony and suite deals for this weekend in the solo deal thread.

In the past 6 months all the deals have been on NCL.

and if you are a frequent cruiser like I am [ about every 2 months or so]

you buy a cruise next deposit [or 2 this month]

on your cruises and use them on your next one.

for example I booked the NCL spirit yesterday solo balcony 4/9.

cost 599 plus tax so 723 i think.

I used 2 of the cruise next vouchers that i bought in Feb on the same ship.

so...it came to 223 oop with 100 OBC.

now the vouchers cost you half price so total cost after deducting OBC and cost of vouchers is 373 solo balcony.

You need to keep an eye on NCL prices daily on the deal sites.

dont only look at the solo threads.

last month there were suites on the getaway and the new escape for 7 and 8 before the vouchers.

so, what I have found as a solo cruiser who only cruises in the better cabins is that you have to do it last minute if you want to find real deals.

Edited by debranator

I have never booked a cruise just because it's a good deal -- I do itinerary first -- but the Emerald Princess deal is too good! Is FATE telling me that this is my only chance to have a suite? I'll decide tomorrow -- hope I'm not too late.

I couldn't find a Roll Call for it either.

I'm seeing the price for one as GBP8, 000+

I shouldn't book any more cruises though as I'll be disowned.

From the sound of it the solos in suites book them for the extra benefits? I was trying to figure out why I'd want a suite, as I was thinking of it purely in terms of space, and have never found space to be an issue in normal cabins.

1459644014895.jpg.e721433d353d82da897cf482c31aae40.jpg

Croptop -- many thanks for posting the link to the Princess "sale" on the suite!

I booked an aft suite on the Emerald on Sept. 3!

I didn't think this "older" lady would ever have the opportunity to have a suite & an aft one at that! And some new ports for me too.So happy I checked this thread last week!:)

Croptop that Emerald Princess sailing is amazing. The August 20 and Sept 3 sailing are now regular price for a solo in a suite. The sale was $2998 and now it's 12998!

The July 23 sailing is still reduced for a solo suite. It's $3000+. Still a steal.

Could this have been an error??

"Croptop that Emerald Princess sailing is amazing. The August 20 and Sept 3 sailing are now regular price for a solo in a suite. The sale was $2998 and now it's 12998!

The July 23 sailing is still reduced for a solo suite. It's $3000+. Still a steal.

Could this have been an error??"

EMMAK8: It probably was a mistake (some PCL programmer forgot the "1"), but I booked it last Monday! I was really afraid Princess would call & say "April Fool!" but my TA says that since PCL has accepted my reservation, I'm good. I hope she's right; I'm really excited about 14 days in an aft suite!:):):)

Edited by DRS/NC
more info

I had a balcony suite on a mini-cruise on Fred Olsen Braemar in 2014. It was worth it at the time because the ship sailed up the Seine and docked in Rouen. I was able to use the balcony to take pictures of the transit of the river.

It was nice to have the extra space, but that doesn't normally bother me. Canapes were delivered to the suite every evening, but I had been allocated to early dining so didn't really want them.

I think I booked about a year ahead, and there was no single supplement. I'm sure that was because it was a November sailing, so not warm.

Sometimes I check out the RCI website, and when I put my crown & anchor number in suites come up at comparatively reasonable prices.